Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jegs LS conversion kits???

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jegs LS conversion kits???

I recently bought an 06 ls2 t56 out of a GTO and I am planning on putting it in my 69 Buick GS. I am getting a ton of great info on this site, hats off to you guys! I have been looking for an alternative swap kit for the gm a bodies now that edelbrock stopped making theirs. I found a kit through Jegs order # 19212593-k5. It comes with motor mounts, oil pan, and ceramic coated headers for under $900. Has anyone have any experience with this kit, quality, fit and finish? Thanks guys!
Old 12-31-2011, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That sounds kinda cheap. i need to look this up for a 66 chevelle as they should be close to the same design, I think. It didnt say what it was for

Last edited by LS1 pwrd NOVA; 12-31-2011 at 10:35 PM.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Not much of a deal if you consider you're getting an oil pan that will hang 1 1/2" below the crossmember along with a handful of bolts you already have. A pair of $25 adapter plates and cheap $10 motor mounts that wont line up with anything in your engine compartment. And if you do buy chevy frame mounts, the engine will be about 1 1/2" forward, so you'll have to mod the driveshaft if you're using an existing trans. I hope the headers at least have O2 bungs.
You're better off doing some research for your engine/trans combo, then buying the parts that will work.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:33 AM
On The Tree

Does the kit say who makes the headers? That would certainly be interesting.

Headers + motor mounts + oil pan (assuming it comes with pickup and dipstick) for $900 does seem like a good deal to me. I wasn't even aware they were doing a kit.

Thanks for the info.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It comes with headers from HEDMAN, the hustler line, a GM oil pan kinda like a truck but not so deep of a pan and it is a complete oil pan setup. Motor mount setup is from Trans dapt wich are just plain steel frame & engine mounts. I thought it was a decent deal but maybe its not.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:11 PM
On The Tree

The quality of the headers and how these mounts line up in the car is primarily my concern, thats why I was hoping someone had some real experience with these products, not opinions. There is a kit that was even cheaper with headers that were not ceramic coated.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:59 PM
Teching In

I have a 72 Chevelle. I'm currently swapping in a ls1 into. I bought the swap kit from jegs. The headers are hooker swap headers with o2 bungs. The quality is pretty good, the ceramic coat ran in a few spots but nothin bad. They fit really well. I opted for the plates from transdapt that locate the engine an inch back. The paint on those plates is bad. but just sand em and paint em yourself. The engine mounts are just standard small block chevy mounts. Do yourself a favor and tell jegs to switch em out for the energy suspension ones. much better quality. When I got the transdapt mounts I sent em right back, they look like their made out of sheet metal thats how thin they were. The oil pan does hang down pretty low. I'm just gonna build a nice skid plate
Old 01-06-2012, 01:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

If the only thing worth keeping is the headers then it's not much of a deal, as the hookers are $700ish (or less with coupons/ shopping around), oil pans (ones that work in this application) are cheap all day in the forums and mounts/ plates are cheap as well. Truck oil pans aren't worth their scrap weight.
Buying a kit you have to un-kit is sort of working backwards, and it looks like the only thing worth keeping would be the headers (I have the hookers myself, they fit well and I didn't have to mess with welding in the O2 bung like you do with some brands).
Old 01-06-2012, 10:17 AM
On The Tree

Thats good info! I would like to use those 1" back adapters and mounts, what would the part #s be? What oil pan would be recomended for this combo for an a body car? I like to purchase the right stuff the first time, thanks a lot for the help! Once I get a majority of the parts togoether I will start a build thread. Not too many LS 69 Buicks out there!
Old 01-06-2012, 11:33 AM
TECH Junkie

The plates you use will in part be determined by the trans you'll use.
What trans are you using?
Search ebay for "LS1 adapter".
On the oil pan, the most economical practical solution is a used CTS-V.
Motor mounts/frame mounts. Get a set of chevelle frame mounts. Use poly motor mounts that fit the short/wide or tall/narrow frame mount combo.
On headers, you'll need to take in account your adapters for engine position and if you're running a z bar link clutch.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:22 PM
On The Tree

I sold the factory t56 from the gto in favor of a tremec magnum 6 speed(didnt know any better so thats what i did). I plan on buying the automatic to manual magnim t56 A body kit with their hydraulic clutch and ls clutch and bell housing. It comes with everything you need- pedal, shifter, cross member, driveshaft, etc. So for that engine trans combo I am trying to figure out what mounts, pan, header combo i should use? I
Old 01-07-2012, 03:10 AM
Teching In

I like the mounting plates chuckd went with. I'm still not sure on the pan. The ctsv does look like it fits better. I have my motor pretty low and I don't know if it would fit my application. I would try the ctsv pan though, I like the clearance better. I would do hooker swap headers, ctsv pan, energy suspension sbc mounts, and the swap plates chuckd went with. I sent my harness and ecu to wait4me performance. really good prices and nice people to deal with.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:16 AM
TECH Junkie

The shifter location on the T56 is several inches farther back than a muncie/T10. If you have a bench seat, center console, or just want the shifter close to stock position you will NOT want to use the 1" setback plates.
Check out the A body sticky for a combo that will work for you.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...2-gm-body.html
Originally Posted by LS2GS
I sold the factory t56 from the gto in favor of a tremec magnum 6 speed(didnt know any better so thats what i did). I plan on buying the automatic to manual magnim t56 A body kit with their hydraulic clutch and ls clutch and bell housing. It comes with everything you need- pedal, shifter, cross member, driveshaft, etc. So for that engine trans combo I am trying to figure out what mounts, pan, header combo i should use? I

Last edited by garys 68; 01-08-2012 at 03:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Jegs LS conversion kits???