Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kwik accessory bracket issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 04:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have stock Fbody acc and Fbody Kwik backet. No squeeks, but I shredded 4 or 5 belts when it kept slinging off at high rpm. I got some help from Kwik & new larger pulley with sides. Still came off. I ended up after much trial & error, using 2 washers between the bracket & head on one bolt and one washer on the other head bolt. Its like the it was cocked sideways just slightly & the belt was walking off the compressor pulley. Since jamming the second washer in there it has been trouble free since. I know this doesnt relate directly the the original poster's problem, but thought it may help someone else down the line. Scott
Old 01-31-2012, 04:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Scott, thanks for the HU..
I talked w/ Wayne today.
He mentioned several items. Gates engineers are telling him:
If the belt squeals, it's a tension issue.
If it chirps, it's an alignment issue.
He also mentioned what Scott has done. He also mentioned that the Camaro tensioner may have "camber" in it, and be causing issues.
I had mine shimmed w/ a .032 shim. Seemed to work for a while. I checked the differences in angles between the face of the compressor and the face of the tensioner. I had 4.6* difference. Cambered toward the back of the engine. Took the shim out. No load, & it's now .4* back. [I'm hoping the belt load will pull it close to 0*.]

I am also mounting a dial ind to check deflection of the entire bracket... More later.

Last edited by Old Geezer; 02-01-2012 at 06:54 AM.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:09 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The dial indicator was what I was going to suggest. Although I find it hard to believe that thing is deflecting too much.

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 02-06-2012, 02:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up Update>>>>>

Measured every detail I could on the stock tensioner. Found nothing out of the ordinary. [Tensioner was on the bench, so no load.] I "think" the necessity of putting a shim, [.093 in this case], behind the smooth pulley that Qwik recommends, pushed the pulley far enuf off the mount, that the tension pulled it out of alignment.[Camber effect.] The stud is a cheapo casting and does not fit the pulley brg bore very well. Put it back on. Now, instead of squawking at elevated rpms, it does it at idle & elevated.
[Someone mentioned that releasing some tension cured the noise. I tried it, and the damn thing went quiet.] Less tension less "camber effect".
Since there's no way to adjust the tension, I got pissed off, and ordered the KATECH tensioner. NOT CHEAP, but a nice part!

WALA! No more noise at idle. I revved it a couple times and still no noise. I'm going to take it out and melt some rubber and see wtf happens.

More later....

Last edited by Old Geezer; 02-07-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny thing this thread came back up. Worked on it yesterday morning and brought the Gates belt alignment laser tool. Tried spacing the bracket with a washer for each bolt, also used a 75.5" belt vs the 74.5". Torqued the Katech tensioner down and tried it. Sounds pretty good, drove for probably 50 miles or so, got the rpm up pretty good and also cold started at 29 degrees. It's quiet for now but if I have any more problems I'm saying screw it and going with an F-body or C5 setup. I'm gonna wait until I have a for sure answer before picking out the AC compressor setup.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Sometimes mine would squeak or squeal at start up then go away after some drive time, other times the opposite would happen. It would be nice if a company would make a complete solution instead of saying 'buy our stuff, then buy tensioner XXX, then do YYY and hope for the best'. I'd return my kwik bracket in a heartbeat.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chuckd71
Sometimes mine would squeak or squeal at start up then go away after some drive time, other times the opposite would happen. It would be nice if a company would make a complete solution instead of saying 'buy our stuff, then buy tensioner XXX, then do YYY and hope for the best'. I'd return my kwik bracket in a heartbeat.
X2. I didn't go with any GM kits because I wasn't sure of fitment. Also they don't have billet tensioners and underdrive pulleys.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:29 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,160 Likes on 754 Posts

Interesting thread, thanks for sharing experiences. I'm not excited about hearing about shimming for something that's brand new...hmm.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would rather not have to change PS pump if changing the brkts. Will keep you in mind if I need to change mine....Looking forward to getting your wiring harness,,,....
Rick
Old 02-12-2012, 07:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Angry Still not right....

More w/ the KWIK bracket and the belt noise..............
Went over each pulley, checked alignment as best I could, added the KATECH tensioner, tried various tension settings..No luck.

Down to these last 3 items:
1. Replacing the alt/ps bracket as mine has been cut for LS6 intake, and a bracket was made to hold the idler that originally was mounted on the alt brkt.
2. Confirming the correct location of the p/s pulley. I measured it and it is 3/32" out ft of the end of the shaft. [The pulley on my truck, [08], is flush w/ the end of the shaft.]
3. Shimming the a/c compressor brkt out off the head about a 1/16th.

If this doesn't work, the stuff is coming off, and I'll redo my engine mounts and put the stock **** back on.....

Guess I'll start with the a/c brkt shims.. That's the cheapest part....
Old 02-12-2012, 08:06 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All power steering pump pulleys are originally designed to be flush with the end of the shaft when installed. I worked at a GM dealership where we had some issues with these pulleys not properly installed from the start causing the very problem you are encountering.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Interesting thread. First thing - I love my Kwik F-body A/C bracket. It is just what i was looking for. I did not any any billet stuff. I have to say that I did learn more about belt chirp and mutligrove belts than i ever thought. I always had figured that muligrove belts would tolerate minor misalignment but I was WRONG. A couple things:
I am using the F-body accesories that came on my '98 LS1
I am using Kwik's A/C bracket and a Sanden compressor
Dayco PolyRib belts are more forgiving than Gates belts.
I shimmed the A/C bracket with washer () and hid them as much as I could. I went overboard on the tensioner pulley becuase of the camber issue. It works good and has kept the belt where it belongs with no squel or chirp. Tire spinning starts and resoanably high RPM shifts have not killed the belt.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Here are some pictures I took of my work. I have a little article I wrote up if anyone wants it. PM me your email address if you want it.
Attached Thumbnails Kwik accessory bracket issues-001.jpg   Kwik accessory bracket issues-004.jpg   Kwik accessory bracket issues-005.jpg   Kwik accessory bracket issues-010.jpg  
Old 02-13-2012, 05:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A couple suggestions that might help. Measure the pulley spacing to the first groove on the pulleys. Clamping a straight edge to the front of the crank pulley then measuring the offset from that to the first groove is the reference you should use. Don't use the outside edge of any of the pulleys. I had an aluminum saw guide that I used for a straight edge.

You can use the same straight edge and a caliper to measure the offset to the first groove on both sides of each pulley. That should tell you if they are square

Second if you had a noisy belt then try cleaning the pulley's with a scotch bright pad and some acetone before installing a new belt.

http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=1026
Old 02-16-2012, 02:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Talking Sure nuf!

Originally Posted by mantycarguy
All power steering pump pulleys are originally designed to be flush with the end of the shaft when installed. I worked at a GM dealership where we had some issues with these pulleys not properly installed from the start causing the very problem you are encountering.
I had a spare alt accessory brkt. I pulled the bracket and pump off. [It had the top idler cut off and the idler was relocated for a future LS6 intake install.] I installed the stock bracket, with the p/s pump pulley flush w/ the shaft.
With the idler in the stock location, and the p/s pulley flush, I tried the suggestion that came from Kwik...Loosen all the bolts and pull up on the compressor. Tighten the bolts going into the head while holding the compressor up.

Finished and started...Squawk gone! [For now anyway]. Nasty weather today. Will "toast" some rubber tomorrow and see if the fix is in...

Thanks all for the help!
Will report back w/ "road test" results!
Old 02-16-2012, 02:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was thinking about buying some of there stuff, then i just made some brackets out of random left over bolts, turnbuckle, etc. and it's worked great up to 7k rpm!

Old 02-17-2012, 09:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up Update......

Toasted some rubber this am...Squawk is gone. [At least from 0 to 100, that is]
I'm almost 100% sure that the p/s pulley position was the culprit. Sent Wayne @ Kwik an update, too.
FWIW, the pulley was only 3/32" too far out. One wouldn't think that in the overall scheme of things, it wouldn't matter..NOT!
Now, I can hear the stereo, dispense with explanations to those who think the engine may be ready to STB, etc!
Old 10-22-2012, 12:38 AM
Teching In

Having the same squealing issue too. 71 Chevelle with LS3 using C5 Corvette
accessory drive and Kwik/Sanden high mount accessory bracket. The dam
idler deflects a lot like you guys said. I shimmed the lower bolt on the idler
that tensions the belt (3/32" flat washer) and the squeal is gone! I only
shimmed the lower bolt on that holds the tensioner to the bracket. Did an
all out 7000RPM shift and it didn't toss the belt and no squeal. Dam squeal
sounded like a vortec supercharger LOL
Old 10-22-2012, 07:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 169 Likes on 99 Posts

I have 6600 miles on my car and have both the Kwik A/C and alternator mounts........no issues at all.....never even had a hint of a squeek...........Great Job Kwik!!!

Ken
Old 10-22-2012, 12:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't have my car running yet but I had to make one adjustment with my KWIK A/C relocation bracket. Using the recommended Camaro tension system I swapping pulleys per the instructions I had to us a .070" spacer between the pulley and tensioner. The kit comes with a .125" spacer which I found to be to much for proper alignment with the idler pulley. A .062" spacer would be better but I had the .070" material on hand and it works but just barely.

Quick Reply: Kwik accessory bracket issues