Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd gen viper ls motor swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 01:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default I have a Viper and cam upgrade can easily exceed $3000

When the LS1 came out, I dreamed of every conceivable engine swap: 350ci x 350hp x 350# is bonzo squirrel nuts crazy. 240Z's, Fiero's, ... Metropolitans....

I have a 96 GTS and yes, the V10 is a big heavy pig and an LS engine would make the Viper lighter than the Corvette. Not to mention the room.

But THE COOL SWAP would be a Falconer V12. They did this with a Corvette but had to section it 6-9 inches. It would fit in the Viper, would make more HP and actually weigh a little less I think.

I bot a modded Viper (heads,cam,exhaust) and am looking to upgrade the weakest link. The costs are astronomical. Premium set of roller rockers (T&D) is $2500. Cams $600. Lifters $600+ Gaskets are even expensive.

BUT IF YOU EVER LOOKED UNDER A VIPER ON A LIFT YOU WOULD HAVE TO CHANGE YOUR PANTS! 2 old school 2x4in frame rails leaving THE ENTIRE UNDERNEATH OF THE ENGINE UTTERLY EXPOSED! Want to drop your oil pan? HOW FAST CAN YOU SPIN OFF THE PAN BOLTS???? YOU COULD EXPOSE THE CRANK IN 60 SECONDS WITH AN IMPACT GUN. And after looking at the PUKE VOMIT SITUATION in a LS car regarding the underneath - well, it might be worth doing the Viper to just never cast your eyes on that FUBAR CLUSTER F**K ever again.

Yes, I had a 98 Z28 convertible which I truly loved and vowed I would never turn a wrench on that abomination of an engine install...

BUT more tuning knowledge and support is out there than any other configuration. While tons are known about the Hondas, those guys pay tuners. LS folk tend to do it themselves.

Unfortunately, I'm too old and broke to do anything...

Quick Reply: 2nd gen viper ls motor swap