Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 90 Camaro Build, Out with the LT1/700r4 and in with the LS1/T56

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 08:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JWStevens
Man, I sell limco paint! I should have just swapped you some paint for those wheels, lol! Looks good. When you're done I'm gonna drive up and take a look.
I would have traded that for sure and lets just hope I finish in time then you can take a look

Originally Posted by bonecrrusher
Thats a clean car to start with.... Glad you painted the engine bay - I like the painted bolt tops trick!
I am really happy with how it came out too. I saw the bolt trick on one of the tv shows on Spike years ago. They really turned out nice, just have to be careful when installing them so they do not get scratched up.

Also here is a minor update, been busy fixing a few cars for friends and neglecting mine. I originally bought a Walbro 255 to put in the LS1 plastic tank, but I really did not want to modify the fuel bucket so I ended up selling that and buying a Racetronix unit. I also picked up a 97 Grand Prix sending unit to use in the tank since it has the proper 0-90 ohm reading that my stock thirdgen gauge needs to see to work correctly.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:55 PM
On The Tree

Not too much to update, just been painting a lot of stuff and getting all the front suspension bolted up. I went with QA1 coil overs with 300# springs. The kit was a Spohn kit and while I like the final fit of the kit I did have to grind a few parts to get them to fit. I knew I had to grind the spindles, but I had to grind a few of the plates that go on the bottom of the strut mount, but overall I am happy with the kit.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:20 PM
On The Tree

Well I got the BMR k-member I bought all mounted up with new hardware. I am going to take the K-member back out once the motor and wiring harness is all finished up and put the motor back in from the bottom. I really only mounted it up to get the a-arms on and make sure everything fit, luckily for me it all fit perfectly.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

I also got my pin welded up in my thirdgen clutch pedal and finally got the pedals and master cylinder all mounted up. That took about 4 hours and was a horrible job to do. I actually had to bolt up the pedal mounting bracket and then bolt up the master cylinder. Finally I had to put the pedals in and tighten it up. It really sucked…

Old 03-30-2012, 05:47 PM
On The Tree

Finally started to tear the motor down to get ready to put the Z06 243s, MS4 cam, Katech Rod Bolts, Texas Speed Oil Pump, Underdrive pulley, and Ported and Polished Throttle Body. I also bought ARP head bolts, LS7 lifters, Lunati .660 springs, Comp Cams Trunion Upgrade, and a few other misc ARP bolt kits for the motor.
First step though is teardown:

Got the Katech Bolts installed. Was an easy job with the engine on the stand.
A few of them installed:

All finished:

Hope to get the rest of bottom end finished up this week so I can get the heads on and dropped in by next weekend.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:08 AM
On The Tree

Well I still have not got the motor installed yet as I have been busy with gathering up all the small items and getting the motor put together. I did get my Comp Cams trunion upgrade done, valve springs put in and checked for install height, and got the Textralia clutch all bolted up. I am just waiting to put the Engine and trans together after I find out about some trouble I am having with shimming the throwout bearing. Anyhow here are some pics of the progress:

MS4 Cam ready to be installed, I also installed new DuraBond cam bearings proir to installing the cam.

Ported Texas Speed Oil Pump installed

Oil Pan ready to be installed

Pistons

Old 05-06-2012, 09:09 AM
On The Tree

ZO6 243 Heads with lightweight valves:

Head gaskets on and LS7 lifters and LS2 lifter trays installed

All bolted down with ARP Bolts

Finally looking like a motor again

Textralia Clutch kit

Old 05-06-2012, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Paint it up while u have motor apart,did mine with rattle cans and really made a big difference look wise
Old 06-17-2012, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

Well I finally got the motor in, but not without some clearance issues. I welded V-bands onto the headers to make it easier to bolt up the y-pipe and the drivers side fits fine, but the passenger side hits and has to be cut off.

Got the hole cut in the floor too for the shifter.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:45 PM
On The Tree

I also had to make a crossmember out of the 2 that I bought. I bought a Spohn Torque Arm with a relocation bracket, but it leaves no room for the exhaust to run so I bought a Hawks LS1 6 Speed Crossmember and welded the 2 together to make 1 of my own. I think it came out pretty good.

You can see in this pic the Hawks Crossmember with the gussets and piece of the Spohn piece. If I would have know the Spohn piece would not have fit when I bought it I would of stuck with a stock style torque arm.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:40 PM
Staging Lane

I love the way you're build is coming together. You can tell you definitely put a lot of thought into it. That copart link was a nice piece of info too. Thanks for that. As for the piece for your clutch, that looks frickin' awesome. Looking forward to seeing how well it works. If it works great then ask you're buddy to make one for me. I'll pay him for it!
Old 09-24-2012, 08:24 PM
On The Tree

Well I have not updated this thread in a while. I got the car all finished up and running. I even made the wedding deadline and had the AC working, which was a good thing because it was 110 in Ohio. One of the hottest days I can remember here. Anyhow I can't find my pics of the Y-pipe I made but here is a short video of the car right after I got it running. I have put about 1500 miles on the car since it was finished and all I can say is it is a joy to drive and I love my 6 speed conversion it is what I always wanted. Here is a little video of it starting up I will get some final pics of the car on here really soon, but I would like to say thanks for all the compliments and help.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your third gen looks awesome, and I'm sure it is a blast to drive.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

No kidding you have more or less my dream car now. Love the color, love the engine and trans combo, etc etc.

Just fantastic man
Old 09-25-2012, 03:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

sweet , how about some more pics of it all done and buttoned up , who tuned it and what did it make, any track runs .
Old 04-19-2013, 10:35 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for all the compliments. Car was mail order tuned by pcmforless. Here are just a few updated pictures of the car. I still need to put my Oil Catch Can on and a few other small things, but the car is mostly done for the time being since my wife and I are selling our house and in the process of buying a new one. Don't mind the dust I took these the other day right after I got it out for the year.

And lastly some high res pictures from my wedding day last July.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:51 PM
On The Tree

Here is a little dyno run from yesterday.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:00 AM
TECH Regular

Beautiful car, and nice power! Is that a dynojet?
Old 05-12-2014, 02:18 PM
Staging Lane

DTM FTW!! Brian is the man.

Solid numbers. Congrats.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Thomas Aquinas
DTM FTW!! Brian is the man.

Solid numbers. Congrats.
Thanks, I am really happy with the numbers. I have not had Brian tune the car, but I will be having a full dyno tune by him this summer. He did tweak a few things to help my idle, but otherwise it is a mail order tune from pcmforless. Heard lots of good things about him though.

Quick Reply: My 90 Camaro Build, Out with the LT1/700r4 and in with the LS1/T56