Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Show off your pics of Doug's headers on a GM A-body!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012 | 05:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

I used the Dougs SK100 and Energy Suspension 3-1117G pads coupled with Chevelle frame stands (3378 from carpartsdiscount.com). I did everything I could to make the combination sit as low as possible for hood clearance. The PS tie rod just kissed the pan leaving a small witness mark, DS is good.
Old 03-14-2012 | 06:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, count me in the frustrated headers category. My Doug's arrived today and hit my floorpan--can't bolt up. My BRP mounts and/or 40 year old body bushings won't allow it. I'll be returning these. See pics on my build thread here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/16081307-post114.html
Old 03-15-2012 | 05:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Do they actually hit? Or are they just really close? If they do not hit you can pull the collector down a bit (not alot) by inserting a tube into the collector and pulling down. An exhaust fabricator that worked for me used to do that on a regular basis.
Old 03-15-2012 | 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by oldgoat69
Do they actually hit? Or are they just really close? If they do not hit you can pull the collector down a bit (not alot) by inserting a tube into the collector and pulling down. An exhaust fabricator that worked for me used to do that on a regular basis.
If I buy these and they are that close to working that's what I was thinking of doing. It sux to hear a lot of chevelle guys have issues with header fitment specified for our cars. I'm afraid to buy as set of headers for $600 only to be Disappointed with out come. Makes me just want to use stock manis and not worry about those issues with headers. Just when I thought a big bodied car like this would be an easier swap than my nova, it's actually not. It's just as bad.
Old 03-15-2012 | 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would have to think that alot of the problem may be associated with the mount combination that you are using. I bet that if you use the Dougs mounts and related parts all will work as advertised.
Old 03-16-2012 | 05:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

They did actually hit for me; even w/hitting I couldn't get a second bolt in so it was going to take significant floor work w/BFH just to allow it to bolt up and then be right against the floorpan. As I said, I'm using BRP mounts (sit higher than others) and I have 40 year old body bushings that are compressed. I don't want to bother changing body bushings yet (that will happen in a few years when I swap frames) and I doubt it would get me there anyway. Think BRP mounts and these headers won't go together.
Old 03-16-2012 | 05:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Based upon the fact that I was able to successfully make them work, as well as others. My guess is that this is your obstacle. You also mentioned that you are shy of clearing the hood with this combination. At this point it is probably time to ask yourself if the BRP mounts are the entire key to the project, or a detail that can be changed so the rest can continue.
I learned long ago that just because individual parts will work in a given application, often combinations of said parts create a bag of poo. Even combinations from a single vendor are not proven to coexist.
Old 04-05-2012 | 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic
10 Year Member20 Year Member

What are the Doug's headers made from? Stainless or mild steel?

Quick Reply: Show off your pics of Doug's headers on a GM A-body!