Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leveling Engine A-Body ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 07:48 PM
Launching!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Smile Leveling Engine A-Body ?

I need to make a bit more room for Header fitament and leveling my engine in relationship to the frame would help. Question how level should the engine be in relationship to the frame. My body-off frame sits on cinder blocks at the four corners of the framerails and it is pretty Level. I have 1/4" mounting plates w/Tall & Narrow M/Ms. My Crank pully is out of plumb by a half bubble leaning rearward. Should I jack it up at the Trans Crossmember to where the Crank Pully is plumb and the fuel rails close to level. I also would like to move the engine forward say another 1/2" or so. I'm running the Truck Accessaries.

Thanks, Tony

Old 03-10-2012, 08:07 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most engines have 2-3 degree angle(down in rear) This driveline angle is needed to help with driveshaft vibration issues. I would suggest you purchase an angle finder which are usually available at most home improvement stores.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Engine level doesn't matter. Like said above what you need to match up is the angle of the rear diff so you don't get drive shaft vibrations. Lots of good write up available on what to match.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:06 PM
Launching!

Yeah Drive line angle is confussing as well. I see on the Drive shaft companies sites that they suggest Parallel but on different elevations to get driveline angle. Ok I'm going with the 2* down and I'll just dish out the top back corners of my cross member to give me the extra room for header clearance, Thanks

Tony
Old 03-11-2012, 07:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Before you choose the engine angles, you should check to make sure the trans will clear the body, once it's back on....
Old 03-11-2012, 09:08 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 64 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by mantycarguy
Most engines have 2-3 degree angle(down in rear) This driveline angle is needed to help with driveshaft vibration issues. I would suggest you purchase an angle finder which are usually available at most home improvement stores.
This ^^^
Old 03-11-2012, 09:15 AM
Launching!

Yeah Chuck I would like to be able to do that but I was hoping with keeping the engine Low & Forward I'd be Ok. Everyone else seems to be squeezing the trans in and I believe most have the engine further back.
Yes I do have a magnetic Angle finder, I'll check on that today.

Thanks ,Tony
Old 03-11-2012, 09:51 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to inland empire's website,they have the best explanation and writeup on this subject that I have seen.It cleared things up for me.

Quick Reply: Leveling Engine A-Body ?