Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 ls1 passenger coolant sender thread?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 07:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 99 ls1 passenger coolant sender thread?

I am working on an engine conversion with the drivetrain from a 99 ws6, I mounted the sender in the block, in that little threaded bung that sits above the starter. Either it is a poor location to read temperature or the block is still air locked because it is not reading accurate temps. Do you guys know much about this location? I am thinking mounting it in the pass head, near #8 where the plug allready exists. do you guys know the thread this location?

thanks
Old 03-12-2012, 07:28 PM
TECH Regular

try putting it where it belongs from the factory. In the head its twards the rear of the head on the pass side and twards the front on the drivers side.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:29 PM
TECH Regular

that hole your talking about is a factory hole, use a factory sending unit and it will fit...
Old 03-12-2012, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put mine in the head by #8 also. I drilled and tapped the hole to fit the Brass fitting that came with the guage.
Attached Thumbnails 99 ls1 passenger coolant sender thread?-dscn1095.jpg   99 ls1 passenger coolant sender thread?-temp-guage-fitting.jpg  
Old 03-12-2012, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The threaded water port on the cylinder heads is 12mmX1.5. You didn't mention what gauge/sending unit combo you're trying to use, but if you're going aftermarket I would recommend using an electric gauge vs. a mechanical.

I went with an aftermarket electric water temp gauge to avoid the large temperature probe on most mechanical water temp set ups. I have the electric sending unit installed in the pasenger cylinder head. This required two things; a metric to npt adapter and a shortened electric sending unit due to the small I.d. of the adapter.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATM-2277/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATM-2259/

Both items can be had for under $20.00 and make this a very simple install.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 215 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by birdman2447
I am working on an engine conversion with the drivetrain from a 99 ws6, I mounted the sender in the block, in that little threaded bung that sits above the starter. Either it is a poor location to read temperature or the block is still air locked because it is not reading accurate temps. Do you guys know much about this location? I am thinking mounting it in the pass head, near #8 where the plug allready exists. do you guys know the thread this location?

thanks
Where the Crank Sensor bolt to?
Old 03-12-2012, 08:43 PM
Teching In

Its near where the crank sensor bolts to, there is a small bung that threads in that uses an allen drive.

I am allready using the stock sender for the ecu, but for my in car gauge i am using an electric sender, that metric to npt adapter is just what i was looking for.

Thanks for the info guys
Old 03-13-2012, 07:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That big plug on the side of the block is a block heater plug. I have my sender there. It is a pretty common place to put it with Datsun Z car swaps.

I have checked my stock gauge against more accurate gauges and they track consistently. Since the stock gauge has a total of 3 tick marks on it I couldn't tell you if they are off by even 10°, but IMO who cares. Like I said it goes up and down consistently and does tell me whether I am running hotter than normal.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
That big plug on the side of the block is a block heater plug. I have my sender there. It is a pretty common place to put it with Datsun Z car swaps.

I have checked my stock gauge against more accurate gauges and they track consistently. Since the stock gauge has a total of 3 tick marks on it I couldn't tell you if they are off by even 10°, but IMO who cares. Like I said it goes up and down consistently and does tell me whether I am running hotter than normal.
^^^^^^ Excellent point!

Quick Reply: 99 ls1 passenger coolant sender thread?