Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Superdave's 65 Impala SS 5.3 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 08:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,441 Likes on 909 Posts

Dave,

One thing you haven't discussed, and thus I assume you haven't checked is runout, both lateral and axial. You need to make sure that the rotor is flush against the axle flange and that it is centered. If the rotor is not flush, it will do a slight figure 8 wobble, and if it is not centered it'll cause a mild out of balance condition. I made some videos of this that I will post up in a bit.

Andrew
Old 07-24-2015, 02:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Dave,

One thing you haven't discussed, and thus I assume you haven't checked is runout, both lateral and axial. You need to make sure that the rotor is flush against the axle flange and that it is centered. If the rotor is not flush, it will do a slight figure 8 wobble, and if it is not centered it'll cause a mild out of balance condition. I made some videos of this that I will post up in a bit.

Andrew
Funny that you mention this today, as today's project was to check for a bent axle or a mounting issue at rotor/flange. I detected a very slight wobble in tire while moving (on jack stands), and so my next step was to take the rotor off and check everything there before buying a new axle. When i took it off, I could see some freshly worn metal at the little hub that sticks out of the flange, and a corresponding scar on the inside of the hole at the center of the rotor. I took a file to the protruding area, probably knocking off less than a millimeter, but enough to ensure the rotor could go on flat.

Took a test drive (always the same route/time/distance) and I am excited to say that the problem is gone. There was the slightest bit of squeak a time or two when first applying the brakes, so I will take it back apart this weekend and file a tiny bit more....but I think I found the problem. Before I filed, I could hold the rotor hard against the flange and it would rock slightly side to side, but not up and down. After filing it doesn't rock anymore.

Man what a nightmare. This car has been sitting through MONTHS of nice weather....all because of a tiny bit of metal.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's awesome!
Old 07-25-2015, 01:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Awsome

Glad you stuck with it man. Can't wait to see the next step.
Old 07-25-2015, 05:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by superdave84
Funny that you mention this today, as today's project was to check for a bent axle or a mounting issue at rotor/flange. I detected a very slight wobble in tire while moving (on jack stands), and so my next step was to take the rotor off and check everything there before buying a new axle. When i took it off, I could see some freshly worn metal at the little hub that sticks out of the flange, and a corresponding scar on the inside of the hole at the center of the rotor. I took a file to the protruding area, probably knocking off less than a millimeter, but enough to ensure the rotor could go on flat.

Took a test drive (always the same route/time/distance) and I am excited to say that the problem is gone. There was the slightest bit of squeak a time or two when first applying the brakes, so I will take it back apart this weekend and file a tiny bit more....but I think I found the problem. Before I filed, I could hold the rotor hard against the flange and it would rock slightly side to side, but not up and down. After filing it doesn't rock anymore.

Man what a nightmare. This car has been sitting through MONTHS of nice weather....all because of a tiny bit of metal.
Dave,

That is awesome. That 1mm get magnified significantly as you move away from the center. Look everything over very carefully as it takes very little to cause big problems. As you said, the rotor should not rock at all when you slide it over the wheel studs and hold it against the axle flange. Make sure that the O.D. of the axle flange is small enough to slide easily inside the rotor hat. Don't be afraid to put a little chamfer all the way around the outer lip of the axle flange, because the rotor may have a matching fillet in the hat. Post some pictures of all that stuff!

Andrew
Old 07-25-2015, 09:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Superdave's 65 Impala SS 5.3 Swap

What do you have for a proportioning valve? Or any valves in the brand system? some factory style valves. have a centering valve that when centered equal brake pressure and if fluid pressure is lost the valve moves to the side with less pressure from greater pressure on the other side. It's designed to keep the brakes working. I've had issues with bleeding and after fixing the problem getting this valve to self center again can be a pain. You can bleed one half but the other half won't bleed. And you have horrible pedal.
When these valves move they like to stick cuz they have had years of junk buildup inside the bore of the valve. You can un stick them by stomping on the pedel with the opposite end bleeder open.
Old 07-26-2015, 02:42 PM
TECH Resident

Dave,

That is awesome. That 1mm get magnified significantly as you move away from the center. Look everything over very carefully as it takes very little to cause big problems. As you said, the rotor should not rock at all when you slide it over the wheel studs and hold it against the axle flange. Make sure that the O.D. of the axle flange is small enough to slide easily inside the rotor hat. Don't be afraid to put a little chamfer all the way around the outer lip of the axle flange, because the rotor may have a matching fillet in the hat. Post some pictures of all that stuff!

Andrew
I drove it for a longer drive today. Probably 6 or 7 miles there, and then the return trip as well. Still had very faint chirps, but only for a few seconds and only 4 or 5 times total. This still tells me that there is an issue though, so I will take it apart again and file a little more. I am afraid to take TOO much off the hub or rotor though.....won't that make it more and more difficult to center exactly on the axle if it's not snug there?

Originally Posted by the450r
What do you have for a proportioning valve? Or any valves in the brand system? some factory style valves. have a centering valve that when centered equal brake pressure and if fluid pressure is lost the valve moves to the side with less pressure from greater pressure on the other side. It's designed to keep the brakes working. I've had issues with bleeding and after fixing the problem getting this valve to self center again can be a pain. You can bleed one half but the other half won't bleed. And you have horrible pedal.
When these valves move they like to stick cuz they have had years of junk buildup inside the bore of the valve. You can un stick them by stomping on the pedel with the opposite end bleeder open.
I have a non-adjustable valve (I think it's considered a combination valve) It has nothing adjustable on it, but there is a little metal prong on it that is supposed to trigger a check light if the valve is not lined up properly. I don't have an actual light, but I did use a test light to check it, and as far as I can tell, it's working properly.

Car stops ok...it's just a little less than I would expect from 4 wheel disc brakes. It's not impossible that I still have a little air in the system, but I can address that.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

I drove it for a longer drive today. Probably 6 or 7 miles there, and then the return trip as well. Still had very faint chirps, but only for a few seconds and only 4 or 5 times total. This still tells me that there is an issue though, so I will take it apart again and file a little more. I am afraid to take TOO much off the hub or rotor though.....won't that make it more and more difficult to center exactly on the axle if it's not snug there?
The rotor is supposed to center on the hub hole, not on the O.D. of the axle flange itself.

Andrew
Old 07-26-2015, 09:43 PM
TECH Resident

The rotor is supposed to center on the hub hole, not on the O.D. of the axle flange itself.

Andrew
After rereading what you wrote, I got it. The center hub is where I had the extra metal imperfection that I had to file off. I did hit the edge of the flange with the file today, and I also found another little bump on the flat of the flange too. I murdered it with the file.

Supposed to rain all day tomorrow and I don't have wheel wells in the car yet, so my next test drive will be Tues. Pretty confident that I finally knocked this thing out now.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

After rereading what you wrote, I got it. The center hub is where I had the extra metal imperfection that I had to file off. I did hit the edge of the flange with the file today, and I also found another little bump on the flat of the flange too. I murdered it with the file.

Supposed to rain all day tomorrow and I don't have wheel wells in the car yet, so my next test drive will be Tues. Pretty confident that I finally knocked this thing out now.
Keep us posted.

Andrew
Old 07-28-2015, 03:19 PM
TECH Resident

Glad to hear this is improving for you. There is no reason you shouldn't have great brakes on a vintage car.
You should be able to lock them up at will and with confidence in your pedal (it isn't soft).

I hated the brakes on my truck until I went to an oversized master (1/1/4" diameter) with a hydroboost unit.

Doug
Old 07-29-2015, 01:31 AM
TECH Resident

Ugh. Took a much longer trip today, probably 25 miles round trip, with a short break in the middle. The noise returned a few times but it was very quiet and barely noticeable. However, for the last 10 or 15 minutes, the noise had returned very noticeably, and it was loud enough to cause concern. I am going to do as Andrew suggested and bevel the outside of the axle flange. If that doesn't work, I GUESS I either have a warped rotor or a bent axle.....but I don't understand why either of those would give me problems only SOME of the time.

Took it up the street later in the evening to get ice cream (maybe a mile and a half). Not a peep out of it.

I guess if all else fails I can buy the stuff to convert it back to rear drums....but I really don't want to do that.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:50 PM
TECH Resident

Do you own an IR heat gun? The harbor freight one is maybe $30.
I find it a very useful tool for troubleshooting anything to do with temps. I kept one in the glovebox while debugging my truck.

Take temps of the 4 rotors and compare, fronts are usually hotter and side to side should match. That one might have overheated and warped.

Given the rubbing you are describing, I'd bet it is heating up and warping a bit and causing the squeak.

Is the overall braking performance better?

Doug
PS - I use that IR temp gun for measuring radiator / thermostat housing temps, condenser temps, AC vent temps, trans cooler / trans pan temps, rear end temps, tire temps, etc. etc. anomalies can be found very easily with that tool.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DW SD
Do you own an IR heat gun? The harbor freight one is maybe $30.
I find it a very useful tool for troubleshooting anything to do with temps. I kept one in the glovebox while debugging my truck.

Take temps of the 4 rotors and compare, fronts are usually hotter and side to side should match. That one might have overheated and warped.

Given the rubbing you are describing, I'd bet it is heating up and warping a bit and causing the squeak.

Is the overall braking performance better?

Doug
PS - I use that IR temp gun for measuring radiator / thermostat housing temps, condenser temps, AC vent temps, trans cooler / trans pan temps, rear end temps, tire temps, etc. etc. anomalies can be found very easily with that tool.
Yes my brother has an IR gun that I have been using. During most of this process, the bad rotor was running 30 degrees hotter than the others. Fronts and backs were pretty equal though, about 160ish. Rear right was about 190. After filing away a little on the flange, the temp was only about 5 degrees hotter on the bad rotor.

Today I took the rotor to a friend at a shop and he resurfaced it for me. It was definitely warped. I am about to button the car back up again but I may not get to test drive it again until tomorrow.

Overall braking I am still not thrilled with. I am going to borrow one of those doodads that bleed the lines in reverse instead of out through the bleeders in the traditional way and see if that helps release any tricky air bubbles.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:55 PM
TECH Resident

Finally got to drive the car today. No squeaking at all. However after my short trip, the rotor temperature on the trouble side was low compared to the other side rear. I assume this means that the brakes on the newly resurfaced rotor are doing less work than the other side, meaning that the stupid Cadillac caliper adjustment needs to be tweaked. I will do that in a little while and test drive again.

Rotor temps after 12 minute drive:

LF 170
RF 173
LR 197
RR 140 (original bad wheel)
Old 08-01-2015, 02:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 594 Likes on 472 Posts

no pics.? WTF. lol
Old 08-01-2015, 02:41 PM
TECH Resident

Glad to hear of the improvement!

how is the pedal? Are you able to lock them up when needed?
Old 08-01-2015, 02:43 PM
On The Tree

Default Have you tried

Swapping rear rotors side to side to see if the noise moves with it. And on the off chance are they slotted and drilled? If drilled check the holes for cracks. Also the direction of the slots if directional are not cleaning them self out dust may be setting trapped and making noise.

How did you bed them in?

As a side note. I never use that combination valve anymore. An adjustable rear and full tilt on the front..

The war was not won in a day. But by winning small battles and moving forward.

Keep your head in it and push.
Old 08-01-2015, 02:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DW SD
Glad to hear of the improvement!

how is the pedal? Are you able to lock them up when needed?
Pedal is still unimpressive and I cannot lock the brakes up. I think I might need to take the arms off of the back of the calipers and reclock them so that there is less gap between the arm and the stop. I have about 1/2" gap between them, but from what I am reading there should only be about 1/4"

Originally Posted by IMPALAMAN1
Swapping rear rotors side to side to see if the noise moves with it. And on the off chance are they slotted and drilled? If drilled check the holes for cracks. Also the direction of the slots if directional are not cleaning them self out dust may be setting trapped and making noise.

How did you bed them in?

As a side note. I never use that combination valve anymore. An adjustable rear and full tilt on the front..

The war was not won in a day. But by winning small battles and moving forward.

Keep your head in it and push.
I bed them in by taking the car up to 40ish mph and then hit the brakes hard, but not hard enough to come to a stop. Did this several times. As far as noise goes, today it is gone (after rotor resurfacing). I want to get the rear calipers adjusted properly before taking a longer test drive, but the noise, so far, has been fixed.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:49 PM
TECH Resident

Took the car out again today. Didn't travel far from home but made several laps so it wasn't a super short trip. Stopped at a friend's house to pick him up about 12 minutes into trip. When i got to his house, all the rotors were pretty even, 155-170 degrees of so.

Drove another 20 or so minutes and I could hear that dreaded, intermittent chirp again. It was quiet, but it was there. Stopped to check temps again but the thermometer had some kind of malfunction. Dropped the friend off, then went home. Thermometer somehow fixed itself, and the rotor temps were reasonable, but still, the (previously) bad side was significantly cooler than the (previously) good side. If I remember right it was like 140 on the RR, and like 170 on LR.

I decided to take apart the driver's side and see if there was some kind of issue there like I found on the passenger side before. Rotor was very tight and took a lot of banging to remove. I lightly filed any areas I thought might be trouble spots, and added a small bevel around the axle flange. But overall, I didn't see anything strange on the driver's side.

It's POSSIBLE that a tiny bit of chirping could have been coming from the driver's side all along and I couldn't hear it over the passenger side. I really have no idea. While driving, I can't say for sure what side the noise is coming from now because it's a lot quieter. The fact that the driver's side is the one heating up now leads me to believe that there is/was an issue on BOTH rear wheels. Ugh.

I really don't know what else to do. I ordered some higher quality ceramic pads, thinking maybe the cheaper pads I got with the kit have been compromised with all the heat and uneven wear and whatever else. Everything except for the axles has been addressed so I am running out of ideas here.

Quick Reply: Superdave's 65 Impala SS 5.3 Swap