Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Superdave's 65 Impala SS 5.3 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 09:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by blowdry
Awesome build! Really like the idea for your gauges. Any updates?
No real updates to report. I have been doing boring bodywork, and it's not worthy of pictures yet. Coming along well though. Got the other drip rail all done I think, fixed a hole in the door, filled in the emblem holes on the trunk and the keyhole too. Also doing pretty extensive work to the front valance (the part under the front bumper), cleaning it up and ditching all the trim, filling the holes, including the license plate holes.

I am also going to dive in and flush mount the front and rear windows. Delete the trim, raise the glass about 1/3", and fill in the gap around the window to close it in some.

Originally Posted by Grease Pit
I like the Impala, Ive got a 65 too so I am anxious to see how it runs and drives. I'd like to see if that 5.3 has enough sack to push that Impala.

I just looked over your thread and if you still needed them, the best source for a device for the heater control door is Ace Controls. They make the stuff you need (Ive used them on automated equipment in manufacturing). Mostly industrial stuff but I think they have the mass produced automotive crap as well (you know on a Lexus when the doors glide open all smooth) that's a rotary damper that does this.

The rest of the dash is nicely done btw...
Thanks I am definitley still looking for something to power the heater thingy. I will definitely check them out. Thank you

In regards to the power, it might not be some kind of powerhouse, but the car is about 1,200 lbs lighter than the truck it came out of, so I think it will be ok....untill I can get my hands on a more powerful LS motor

Originally Posted by Killer66
Super Dave your ride is coming along fine. I was reviewing your post when you first started your restoration and ran across a pic of your steering. Mine is exacly the same. I just now decided to check to see the clearance between the truck pan and the frame, and GLORY HALLELUYAH, it fit. A little tight though. I bought a f body pan and don't need it. There should be enough clearance once I get the engine in the bay. Thanks for your post!!! Heres a couple pics of my engine bay.
So what will you do with the F-body pan then? I know my GMPP Hotrod pan hangs lower than I would like. If the F-body is significantly shorter, I might buy it off you. As it stands now though, my headers hang lowest, so I won't be scraping the pan unless I do something really stupid (and I NEVER do anything stupid!) I plan to run airbags, but man, it's already pretty close to the ground and I haven't even lowered it yet. I can only afford to drop it about 1.5" right now, and that only gives me 3" from header to asphalt.

Oh, I was sitting here thinking as I typed, and you might want to load the engine bay with engine weight as you check your clearance. I would hate for you to drop it in and find that the loaded suspension causes the linkage to hit the pan.

Last edited by superdave84; 12-17-2012 at 10:04 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just subscribed.. killer job
Old 12-18-2012, 07:34 AM
Staging Lane

The fbody pan sits on top of the steering linkage, I'll send u a pic when I get home this evening.

Originally Posted by superdave84
No real updates to report. I have been doing boring bodywork, and it's not worthy of pictures yet. Coming along well though. Got the other drip rail all done I think, fixed a hole in the door, filled in the emblem holes on the trunk and the keyhole too. Also doing pretty extensive work to the front valance (the part under the front bumper), cleaning it up and ditching all the trim, filling the holes, including the license plate holes.

I am also going to dive in and flush mount the front and rear windows. Delete the trim, raise the glass about 1/3", and fill in the gap around the window to close it in some.

Thanks I am definitley still looking for something to power the heater thingy. I will definitely check them out. Thank you

In regards to the power, it might not be some kind of powerhouse, but the car is about 1,200 lbs lighter than the truck it came out of, so I think it will be ok....untill I can get my hands on a more powerful LS motor

So what will you do with the F-body pan then? I know my GMPP Hotrod pan hangs lower than I would like. If the F-body is significantly shorter, I might buy it off you. As it stands now though, my headers hang lowest, so I won't be scraping the pan unless I do something really stupid (and I NEVER do anything stupid!) I plan to run airbags, but man, it's already pretty close to the ground and I haven't even lowered it yet. I can only afford to drop it about 1.5" right now, and that only gives me 3" from header to asphalt.

Oh, I was sitting here thinking as I typed, and you might want to load the engine bay with engine weight as you check your clearance. I would hate for you to drop it in and find that the loaded suspension causes the linkage to hit the pan.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:04 PM
Staging Lane

Default fbody oil pan

Super Dave, here is the pic that shows how the oil pan sits in the engine bay. See how the pan will sit above the frame and steering linkage.
Attached Thumbnails Superdave's 65 Impala SS 5.3 Swap-100_1120.jpg   Superdave's 65 Impala SS 5.3 Swap-100_1121.jpg  
Old 12-19-2012, 06:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Killer66
Super Dave, here is the pic that shows how the oil pan sits in the engine bay. See how the pan will sit above the frame and steering linkage.
I see that, but I would think without the weight of the engine in the bay, the suspension is not loaded, and so the linkage will probably sit higher than it does in the pic and maybe give you clearance issues. I would put the engine in and check
Old 12-21-2012, 03:03 PM
TECH Resident

So I pulled the rear window out. Some heartless owner before me had caulked all around the window with what looked like bathroom caulk from Home Depot. I have to admit I was afraid to deal with the issue, thinking there would be extensive rust damage (you could easily see lots of rust on the package shelf inside the car). But I got very lucky and there was nothing but surface rust. Everything back there is solid as a rock, just ugly. Whew.

So, in my quest to eliminate all chrome and strim from the car, I am about to take on flush mounting the front and rear glass. For anyone who has not heard of it, it's basically raising the glass up, and then adding some metal around the opening to close up the gap a little. Take a look at the picture below:

Name:  window2.jpg
Views: 2414
Size:  119.7 KB

What you see marked with green is the ledge the glass sits on. This ledge will have new metal welded on top of it (either 1/4" or 1/8", not sure about all the measurements yet). This raises the glass up closer to the level of the surrounding body

In red you see where I will add in metal to "cinch" in around the window to narrow the gap. Right now it's about 1/4", so I will probably use 1/8" round rod, bent to conform to the body, and then do bodywork to blend the rod out. This will give me a nice, rounded, consistant ridge all the way around the window.

Circled in blue is the bathroom caulk that was holding the window in. There was still some window rubber between the shelf and the glass, but the sun and other weather had deteriorated it to a point where the window basically just popped out after a little scraping and pushing.

So, if I haven't bored you by this point, you're still reading and you're probably wondering about how the rubber is supposed to seal and not deteriorate under the sunlight. Well, raising the shelf does not affect the seal, as long as everything is welded up and any voids are filled with metal or a small amount of fiberglass. Since the whole window is raised the same amount, there are no issues with the geometry changing.

"But Dave," you ask, "won't you be able to see the ugly rubbery glue stuff through the glass?"

Yes, good question. Modern windows have a blackened area to hide the glue. I can't do that exactly, but I can get some 3M vinyl (the kind used for stripes, ect, like I used to cover my vent windows) and cover the entire outside of the window. Then I will make a little cutting tool that will ride along the edge of the glass, scouring a perfect line all around the edge of the window. Then when I remove the center section, I will be left with a black rim all around the window, hiding the glue and protecting it from the sun.

For the front window, it's the same method. Should be a really cool way to modernize the car....and I knwo you guys are all abot modernizing these old hot rods or you wouldn't be on this site!

Lots more interesting pics to come. I hope I can inspire some of you to try this too.

There are no Impalas I can find with flush windows, but here's a look at some Camaros with it done:

Last edited by superdave84; 12-21-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The flush mount glass will be a neat addition but it only works on certain cars or builds. I like the look when done properly.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:29 PM
Teching In

Very nice build. Can't wait to see the finished product!
Old 12-22-2012, 12:17 PM
Teching In

Nice! Keep the pics up! Thx Superdave!
Old 12-22-2012, 06:29 PM
Staging Lane

Super Dave, you and I think alike. I'll be watching, thanks...
Old 01-01-2013, 10:02 PM
Teching In

Dave - Nice work on your Impala. I like the shaved door handles. Your dash came out good.
Keep up the good work!!
Old 01-12-2013, 03:08 PM
TECH Resident

Hi all!

The holidays have kept me busy, but here's a little something for you to chew on.

Name:  bw1_zps9a65c2d7.jpg
Views: 2379
Size:  25.5 KB

Name:  bw2_zps57f3b1fd.jpg
Views: 2420
Size:  23.8 KB

Spacers added to check for fit

Name:  bw3_zpsf1dde16f.jpg
Views: 2392
Size:  35.4 KB

1/8" flat stock shaped to fit the ledge and then tacked in place

Name:  bw4_zps3b14561d.jpg
Views: 2340
Size:  25.5 KB

Name:  bw5_zps71798c4e.jpg
Views: 2381
Size:  27.7 KB

Name:  bw6_zps7901651f.jpg
Views: 2419
Size:  33.5 KB

Name:  bw7_zpsb0dbcd0c.jpg
Views: 2375
Size:  27.6 KB

3/16" round rod added to close the gap around the window some

Name:  bw8_zps0a8a9591.jpg
Views: 2357
Size:  31.0 KB

Name:  bw9_zps7bc79432.jpg
Views: 2371
Size:  38.9 KB

Name:  bw10_zpscd93a582.jpg
Views: 2360
Size:  41.1 KB

Entire channel filled with fiberglass to seal everythign up and prevent rust from ever having the chance to form (hopefully!)

Name:  bw11_zps4b54ca2a.jpg
Views: 2350
Size:  20.1 KB

Beginning of bodywork. Pretty minimal. I think even IIIIII can do it in two coats.

Name:  bw12_zpsadfde137.jpg
Views: 2388
Size:  33.7 KB

Name:  bw13_zpsd5199656.jpg
Views: 2359
Size:  24.6 KB

So far I only have about 10 hours in the whole flush mounting project. Much less than I expected. And you pros can probably do it in half the time.

Last edited by superdave84; 01-12-2013 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:52 AM
On The Tree

Looking great man. Can't wait to see the final product.

James
Old 01-17-2013, 08:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

subscribed...awesome project!!
Old 01-18-2013, 09:37 AM
TECH Resident

Painted the glass shelf yesterday in preparation for glass install, and also painted the bodywork I did. WOW I am terrible at bodywork. Hopefully the flaws are small enough not to show up on camera! Before paint, I will have someone with more skill than me go over the car.

Glass is back from the tint shop so I will hopfully install and post a few pics for you guys later on today.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I love threads like this!! Great job Dave, I'm really digging the Dash and flush window idea. I recently pushed my LS swap 67 LeMans out to pasture for a LS swap 93 Mustang coupe. My friend just posted a thread on his 70 ElCamino that sparked my intrest again in the Lemans. I may have the Mustang sold that will fund finishing my 67. I'm really wanting to try the front flush window and make my own dash like yours!

Thanks for more inspiration and the great ideas keep it up.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:14 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, great project man, just read through it. The dash is killer for sure!
Nice work!
Old 01-18-2013, 02:21 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks guys! I'm glad you're liking the build as much as I am....although I wish it was faster and cheaper haha.

Here's some pics from the window install today:

Glass shelf painted with primer and then High Gloss Enamel paint
Name:  2rw5_zps832f3594.jpg
Views: 2390
Size:  65.6 KB

Here's a pic of the window sealer stuff laid on the shelf
Name:  2rw7_zpsd46d0064.jpg
Views: 2391
Size:  45.9 KB

Here's the rear glass, tinted and ready to install. I actually had to sand the edges a bit because they were a little uneven from the factory (original 1965 glass)
Name:  2rw2_zps26fb215e.jpg
Views: 2382
Size:  56.0 KB

Here's the car with bodywork done and ready for the glass
Name:  2rw6_zps4c839586.jpg
Views: 2389
Size:  79.0 KB

And finally, the glass installed
Name:  2rw4_zps114c3cda.jpg
Views: 2384
Size:  57.3 KB
Name:  2rw3_zps1548d0e9.jpg
Views: 2361
Size:  47.5 KB
Name:  2rw1_zpsb9e31557.jpg
Views: 2373
Size:  44.1 KB

If you look close, the gap is not quite perfect all the way around. The upper driver's side is a little bit bigger than the gaps elsewhere. The rod that I welded in was perfectly aligned with the car, and exactly 3/16" all the way around, so I am thinking that the glass is about 1/8" off up in that corner. I will address that issue before final paint....but the window is in! I think it looks great. I still need to apply a 1" border of 3M vinyl all around the perimeter to protect the sealer and also to hide some milky spots on the ancient glass.

Very modern, sleek and classy if you ask me.

EDIT: Here's a side-by-side (top-by-bottom?) comparison of a stock back window vs. mine.
Name:  stockvsmine_zps8b4b91d2.jpg
Views: 2406
Size:  181.5 KB

Last edited by superdave84; 01-19-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:45 AM
On The Tree

That looks great man. Definitely a project well worth the effort.

James
Old 01-26-2013, 10:18 AM
TECH Resident

Found some parts left over.......anyone know what all this stuff is?

Name:  airbags_zpsb0dd4d01.jpg
Views: 2385
Size:  388.9 KB

Quick Reply: Superdave's 65 Impala SS 5.3 Swap