Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EBay Radiators

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 09:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pat,

Nice job on the fab work. Did you ditch the Vette type center air setup...? thought you were going that route ?

Anyway.. should be much better when we are driving around Reno and Tahoe this August !

BC
Old 04-23-2012, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Pat,

I'm pretty sure you won't drive that car in the rain intentionally, but if you do get stuck in it, be wary of sucking enough water to possibly hydraulic the engine with that intake so close to the ground...
Thanks, Yes I am aware of that possibility and I believe I will be fine as long as I avoid any deep standing water. If you remember the original Ram Air 442 had a similar pick up and there are several CAIs for Corvettes that pick up low too.

Pat
Old 04-23-2012, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bczee
Pat,

Nice job on the fab work. Did you ditch the Vette type center air setup...? thought you were going that route ?

Anyway.. should be much better when we are driving around Reno and Tahoe this August !

BC
Once I started trying to make that work, I decided I just did not have the room to put the filter up there in a way I was comfortable with. I find myself wishing I would have set my motor back and inch or two when I put it in there, too late to change that now.

Pat
Old 05-18-2012, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I finished the painting and got everything re-installed. Also repainted my bumper and lower air scoop to take care of some road rash. Declaring this project done for now. I also reworked my lower radiator hose. Got a 1.75 - 1.5 reducer from Jags that Run and used the top half of my old hose along with a newer bottom hose to get all the angles right. The first hose I tried was close, but was kinking a little bit and I was afraid it was collapsing. changing the hose made a 10* difference at highway cruise speeds.

Now that I have cool intake air I think I will take it to the Wednesday night street drags and see if it helped.

Pat

Last edited by Stu Cool; 05-18-2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pat, enjoy reading your posts. I have an lt1 in my stude now and am planning on changing it to an ls1. I have most of the parts, just getting ready to start.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

emc53.. I have personally seen Pats car and it is a very good car to study and use to build off of.

Pat... see you soon in Reno !!!

BC
Old 07-27-2012, 05:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by emc53
Pat, enjoy reading your posts. I have an lt1 in my stude now and am planning on changing it to an ls1. I have most of the parts, just getting ready to start.
Glad you are enjoying my stories. If you haven't seen it it before I have a build journal here: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

By the way I am driving the Stude across country to South Bend for the International meet right now. I am not very happy with this radiator I installed. It does not have sufficient capacity and I have been having over heating problems that I never had with the old down flow radiator :-(. So back to the drawing board if I make it back home without burning the darn thing up. here is a picture at the Bonneville Salt Flats.

Pat

Old 07-27-2012, 07:11 AM
Launching!

You have a nice car. Rad sway came out nice.....
Old 07-27-2012, 07:43 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

Bummer is it over-heating on the highway?
Old 07-27-2012, 09:32 AM
8 Second Club

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

hey can you post part numbers for those hoses? i bought the bigger radiator from those guys and i think the hoses you have might work. thanks.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:43 AM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I read through this thread about the ebay cooling system parts. I went thru a similar build a couple years ago in that I purchased a chinese radiator off ebay...and had the same problems you are having.. poor cooling. So in my latest build I am using a Griffin radiator. Live and learn...cheaper is not always better.

Nice car and nice build!
Old 07-27-2012, 10:06 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Stu Cool
here is a picture at the Bonneville Salt Flats.

Pat

COOL PIC COOL
Did you tester for top speed while you were there?
Old 07-27-2012, 03:30 PM
Teching In

Pat, I am running a Griffin in my car now and I am very pleased with it.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Bummer is it over-heating on the highway?
I noticed a rise of about 10-15 degrees compared to my previous brass down flow when I first installed it. At sea level I does ok driving down the highway on level ground with AC, runs about 205-210 on a hot day. In the desert on long steep hills, temp starts climbing and will go right up to 250 if you are not careful. Coming across Nevada I found if I turned the AC off and drove 65 it would stay about 210. I had to slow to 55 on hills or temp would go up. Yesterday I drove from Laramie WY to Bellevue and was able to drive 75 mph all the way with it never going above 205. Out side temps were in the low 90s in the afternoon. I did not run the AC at all for fear of running the temps way up again so we just kicked it old school with arms out the window. Last night I found the vacuum hose had popped off my PCV so it had a big vacuum leak, probably had it running lean, but the computer should have compensated for that. Fixed the hose and clamped it, will see if that makes a difference.

lilhemi, I don't have the part numbers for the hoses handy, in fact the bottom one is two hoses joined by a 1.5 to 1.75 adapter from Jags that Run. To find the hoses I went to my favorite auto parts store ( A real one where they don't have to ask if it has AC and auto transmission when you buy a hose clamp.) and they let me study their big Gates Hose book. I bent a coat hanger in the shape I wanted and measured the length. The Gates book is organized by inlet and out let sizes and length and has pictures of each hose. When I found a couple that looked they would work, the counter man took me back into the bowels of the parts shelves and we looked at the ones I found in the book till we found ones that worked. Was a little tedious but the hoses fit pretty well.

Leaving Bellevue today for Audubon Iowa, then on to South Bend Indiana on Monday for the Studebaker International Meet.

Pat
Old 07-28-2012, 09:01 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Stu Cool
lilhemi, I don't have the part numbers for the hoses handy, in fact the bottom one is two hoses joined by a 1.5 to 1.75 adapter from Jags that Run. To find the hoses I went to my favorite auto parts store ( A real one where they don't have to ask if it has AC and auto transmission when you buy a hose clamp.) and they let me study their big Gates Hose book. I bent a coat hanger in the shape I wanted and measured the length. The Gates book is organized by inlet and out let sizes and length and has pictures of each hose. When I found a couple that looked they would work, the counter man took me back into the bowels of the parts shelves and we looked at the ones I found in the book till we found ones that worked. Was a little tedious but the hoses fit pretty well.
thank you. i was hoping to avoid that but oh well thanks for the info
Old 07-28-2012, 09:59 AM
8 Second Club

is this the adaptor your talking about?
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...rentProductId=
Old 07-29-2012, 09:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

I used one of these from Jags That Run http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Par...r_Reducer.html
Old 07-29-2012, 10:26 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

I'm on the North side of Chicago 312 371 5812 cell if you need anything.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
I'm on the North side of Chicago 312 371 5812 cell if you need anything.
Thanks John, made it to South Bend just fine. Driving across the South side near Joliet those posted speed limits appear to be be just a suggestion! Driving a bright red car with out of state plates I have been trying to stay close to speed limits, but along there doing so was just plain dangerous!

Pat
Old 08-20-2012, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I talked with the Griffin folks at Hot August Nights. They have a very nice LS conversion radiator, but unfortunately it is a couple inches too wide. When I got home, I called them up and based on their recommendation I have ordered an aluminum down flow radiator that will bolt in and even look pretty much like the Studebaker radiator. It has 2 rows of 1.25 tubes that will more than double the capacity of my previous copper/brass radiator. It will be configured for LS hoses and will have the top connector on the passenger side, just like I need it. It will have the rad cap above the motor which the cross flow does not and I was told that will also make a difference. It will also have a trans cooler in the bottom tank that I never have had. So, I am anxiously waiting for that to arrive in a couple weeks. I will update with pictures once it arrives.

Pat

Quick Reply: EBay Radiators