Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very Oddball Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012 | 09:16 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 2baditsnotachev
So your just a complete bullshitter is what your saying ...
So your saying you've never had a good idea or a dream? Okay Sorry I can't afford everything I want
Old 03-28-2012 | 09:26 PM
Launching!

how did the "diesel power magazine" link end up posting this here?
Old 03-28-2012 | 09:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ls68firebird
how did the "diesel power magazine" link end up posting this here?
Because it related to the topic on hand.
Old 03-28-2012 | 09:34 PM
Launching!

I meant the whole thread. Sarcasm may not be my strongpoint.
Old 03-28-2012 | 09:37 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 2baditsnotachev
So your just a complete bullshitter is what your saying ...
BTW (assuming you actually read the OP) if you actually thought about what you read, you probably wouldn't have made that comment-

I have no intentions/plans/funds/etc. to do this Anytime soon, but hey, what's the harm in dreaming or thinking? Has anyone ever swapped a Cummins into a 4th Gen F Body? I've always liked diesel's, particularly the Cummins... but Dodge trucks are POS's I'd like to have something one of a kind, and Cummins powered 4th Gen would do just the trick. So, is it possible/has it been done before? If it is possible and I could actually commit to this someday, I'd try to stay away from a 4bt because IMO they sound like complete ****.
Old 03-28-2012 | 09:48 PM
Launching!

while i'm still awake and i have experience with the cummins, that motor is "HEAVY" i doubt any of the front suspension pieces would hold up under normal driving, trailer queen maybe, but not potholes and such. the steering would suffer very quickly. so a complete swap of the front end would be needed. I put a 12v cummins in a 78 chev 4x4 and had to lift the truck so that the oil pan would clear the diff, not to mention the crossmembers had to be fab'd. I believe you could almost set the motor on the ground next to the 4 gen and it would still be taller than the hood (exaggerating to make a point- but close). I agree the cummins is a million mile motor and it's built that way-"HEAVY".
Old 03-28-2012 | 09:51 PM
Teching In

Solve this equation f-body + 1000lb cummins = ?
Old 03-28-2012 | 10:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

An odd waste of time.
Old 03-29-2012 | 11:39 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by need2speed94
Those are the best cars for the hobby! Pre-smog and you have such a wide variety of motors to choose from to swap, the engine bays were crazy large.
the engine bays are not crazy large. have you ever even worked on a "classic"?
Old 03-29-2012 | 11:53 AM
TECH Regular

Every diesel is heavy... and do you think I'd be dumb enough to swap one in with the complete OEM front suspension? My ricer friends even know better than that. And they are much larger than a 4th gen I'll tell you that. But yes, I have a neighbor that I sometimes help with that has a cortez silver 68', and another neighbor with a 68 GT500 that I've yet to introduce myself to
Old 03-29-2012 | 12:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by need2speed94
Every diesel is heavy... and do you think I'd be dumb enough to swap one in with the complete OEM front suspension? My ricer friends even know better than that. And they are much larger than a 4th gen I'll tell you that. But yes, I have a neighbor that I sometimes help with that has a cortez silver 68', and another neighbor with a 68 GT500 that I've yet to introduce myself to
ask your friend how much he likes changing the plugs in the gt500. hell the boss 429 cars had to have their shock towers modified for the engine to fit. guy in hotrod or carcraft dropped a boss 429 in late model mustang with no mods to engine bay at all. there is a huge difference between cars with shock towers and those with front struts.

i would be shocked if 4gen engine bay was not wider than a 1st gen.
Old 03-29-2012 | 01:08 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by broke again
ask your friend how much he likes changing the plugs in the gt500. hell the boss 429 cars had to have their shock towers modified for the engine to fit. guy in hotrod or carcraft dropped a boss 429 in late model mustang with no mods to engine bay at all. there is a huge difference between cars with shock towers and those with front struts.

i would be shocked if 4gen engine bay was not wider than a 1st gen.
I don't know him like that... yet! Haha I just see him working on it and firing it up sometimes. Oh yeah I saw that as well... now that's a project! I think the owrst thing about the 4th gens, which also can be considered good is how far setback the LS1 is. It's back a good 8" in the engine bay, great for distribution of weight... but makes changing the plugs on #5,6,7,8 so much fun (sarcasm).
Old 03-29-2012 | 03:47 PM
TECH Resident

Since we are talking about things that will never happen. I'd love to get another trans am and swap a terminator engine into and install a set of flowmasters just so i could have a trans am that sounded as bad as those damned mustangs.

Of course I would be too embarassed to raise the hood and show people(which would be a disgrace to that engine, it's so pretty) but it sure would sound badass!
Old 03-29-2012 | 05:43 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by kyoytey1693
Since we are talking about things that will never happen. I'd love to get another trans am and swap a terminator engine into and install a set of flowmasters just so i could have a trans am that sounded as bad as those damned mustangs.

Of course I would be too embarassed to raise the hood and show people(which would be a disgrace to that engine, it's so pretty) but it sure would sound badass!
I'm a bowtie guy but that 4.6 out of the Termi's has my respect. It ain't **** without the blower and it really isn't **** even how it comes in the Termi but if you like boost then you can just throw on an aftermarket blower/turbo on it and make big power without even touching the internals. Still not worth buying the POS mustang itself though. Lol even if you had the money it'd be damn hard to get that 4.6 to fit in a 4th gen... with its HUGE 4v 4 cam heads haha.

Quick Reply: Very Oddball Conversion