Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Injected LS with TH350 - Cheapest option for ECM? Please Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 10:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Fuel Injected LS with TH350 - Cheapest option for ECM? Please Help!!!

I have 1986 Camaro and intalling a 5.3LS (bigger LS7 cam later) out of 2011 Truck. It will be my weekend bracket car and may drive around town too. If I go carburetor route, the intake, ignition & carburetor will run be about $1,000.

If I go fuel injection route, the car might offer better driveability, fuel economy and the cost may be a wash. Also, I would like to keep my stock hood because the LS with carb setup will require a new after market hood.

I am a tight budget because I also have 1963 Nova which I am working on too!

What is the most cost affective option. By the way, I am very computer savvy if that helps.

1. Keep my existing ECM and have it reflashed? What happends after I install bigger cam (LS7)?

2. What is the cheapest aftermarket ECM (self learing) ?

Thanks

Waid
Old 04-14-2012, 10:49 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forget the carb,once you do a modern fuel injected ls motor you'll never go back to a carb.I cringe when I hear somone say they want to do an ls in their car but want to put a carb on it.To me the fuel injection alone almost makes it worth doing,not to mention the many other benifits to having an ls motor in your car.The truck induction works good and obviously will be cheaper especialy if you already have it.If it were me I would try to pick up an ls1 or ls6 (more costly) intake and accesorries for it .Looks better and fits better in a car.Personaly I think it will get better gas milege and power with the fbody fuel injection.You sound pretty savy on the electronics so you can probably do your own harness.You wont have to do much in the way of a tune till you start modifying,cam and heads etc.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talk to Jon at PSI Conversion ha had me hooked all up for a brand new harness and computer for 714.00 That also allowed for computer and fuse block to go under the dash.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

SUPERBOOST,

I am not new to engine conversions. First conversion was a 1988 Fiero with 4 cylinder/5-speed. I took a 3400 V6 out of a 1999 (back in 2001) and did a complete transplant with OBDII with Fieros 5-Speed. The engine was left completely stock. As far as wiring is concerned, I kept the wiring in neutral permanently and it worked without the automatic transmission!

I would love to use stock ECM if I can.

Can I make it work with TH350 and 3000 stall converter?

What happens with LS7 cam or other aftermarket cam?

Thanks
Old 04-15-2012, 08:55 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by waid786
SUPERBOOST,

I am not new to engine conversions. First conversion was a 1988 Fiero with 4 cylinder/5-speed. I took a 3400 V6 out of a 1999 (back in 2001) and did a complete transplant with OBDII with Fieros 5-Speed. The engine was left completely stock. As far as wiring is concerned, I kept the wiring in neutral permanently and it worked without the automatic transmission!

I would love to use stock ECM if I can.

Can I make it work with TH350 and 3000 stall converter?

What happens with LS7 cam or other aftermarket cam?

Thanks
Yes you can use the stock ecm,You have to take out all the stuff you do'nt need like vats.You will also have to retune if you change cams,ls7 or aftermarket,although it woul probably start and run just not right.You can run a non computer trans too,lots of people do.I like the overdrive trans because of the potential for much greater fuel milege.But if you are going to do a lot of drag racing it may not be the right choice fo you.I hav'ent been brave enough to do my own harness but It sounds like you cou'ld probably tackle it with a little research.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:24 PM
Teching In

I have a 1999 ls1 in a 1991 mustang with a turbo 350 with a 3500 stall converter.You will have to buy a spacer for the crankshaft to be able to use the turbo 350 trans so the converter snout has something to center on. They are available thru Jegs ,summit and even GM dealerships. I am told that the kick down cable should be connected to keep the trans line pressures correct. I bought a used PCM on the internet and had it reflashed to remove the VATS. I am retuning the PCM for my setup. My engine is stock but I plan to spray it with up to a 150 horse shot of nitrous.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 105 Likes on 82 Posts

I have a 408 in my 84 MCSS, it has a Vic Jr EFI Intake on it, with a 4 Barrel Throttle Body. I did the wiring and tune it with HP Tuners..normally it's a T56 on the street, on the track it's a MVB TH350 with a 4500 Stall. No issues with either.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I plan to do this as well, just want to drop a 6.0 or 5.3 in my 81 TA, i plan to use an fbody oil pan to be safe since the truck pans hang low. I hope it's not hard to wire the new harness into the car.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 105 Likes on 82 Posts

^^ Fbody pan may have clearance issues..

Quick Reply: Fuel Injected LS with TH350 - Cheapest option for ECM? Please Help!!!