Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

69 Buick GS 415/T56

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 09:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 599 Likes on 475 Posts

Looks & sonds great. Ya got her giggling. LOL What upper radiator hose is that?

thanks,
Jm
Old 11-25-2012, 09:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Great video, looks like it runs pretty well so far. I got to visit the love of my life Thanksgiving day and go for a couple of quick drives. My grandson was screaming from the back seat the whole way! I can't wait to get it home.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
Looks & sonds great. Ya got her giggling. LOL What upper radiator hose is that?

thanks,
Jm
Upper radiator hose is a napa 7558. It worked perfect for my radiator and water pump, but my waterpump is a custom made specifically for the Wagner accessory drive. Not sure how the outlets differ from factory units.
Yah the GS gets up and goes! I have to tell the wife its her car to justify it, either way she likes it!
Old 11-27-2012, 09:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the vids. The car looks and sounds great. I cant wait to start my swap now.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

anything new? Did you get the 295's to fit in the rear? If you do or did let me know how. Everything I've read says 295's wont fit stock wheel wells of the 68/69's without a lil surgery, which I'm not above doing.

Great car, I bet its a blast to drive.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:51 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cbrodine
anything new? Did you get the 295's to fit in the rear? If you do or did let me know how. Everything I've read says 295's wont fit stock wheel wells of the 68/69's without a lil surgery, which I'm not above doing.

Great car, I bet its a blast to drive.
I have not ordered my rims and tires yet. I will be starting with the 275s and see what it will take from there (I am pretty sure that I will go through a set of tires fairly quickly!).
As far as updates, I have the gas tank dropped on the car do to starvation issues around a 1/4 tank. When I pulled the fuel pump out of the tank I realized the pick up sock was clocked at about 1 o clock towards the front of the car. Easy fix!, I spun the fuel pump to about 5:30 so the sock is pointed to the baffling and just underneath the return line tube. I will try to post pics soon. That should solve the issue, I just kind of wonder why Ricks would send me a new tank with the pump aligned incorrectly.
Other than that just been slowly putting the interior back together. Put a new steering wheel on and picked up an adjustable mounting bracket that I will use for the holley efi touchscreen.
I also am fabricating a radiator overflow out of an aluminum water bottle and a bicycle water bottle bracket for the mount.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS2GS
I have not ordered my rims and tires yet. I will be starting with the 275s and see what it will take from there (I am pretty sure that I will go through a set of tires fairly quickly!).
As far as updates, I have the gas tank dropped on the car do to starvation issues around a 1/4 tank. When I pulled the fuel pump out of the tank I realized the pick up sock was clocked at about 1 o clock towards the front of the car. Easy fix!, I spun the fuel pump to about 5:30 so the sock is pointed to the baffling and just underneath the return line tube. I will try to post pics soon. That should solve the issue, I just kind of wonder why Ricks would send me a new tank with the pump aligned incorrectly.
Other than that just been slowly putting the interior back together. Put a new steering wheel on and picked up an adjustable mounting bracket that I will use for the holley efi touchscreen.
I also am fabricating a radiator overflow out of an aluminum water bottle and a bicycle water bottle bracket for the mount.
The 275's should fit no problem from what I've seen, so long as you have the right backspacing. I REALLY want to go with 295's as well. I measured my wheel wells a week or so ago and came up with ~13"...that was from the back side of the well(frame side) to the wheel lip of the quarter panel. Although it may end up a little tight, I think it can work with some quarter panel wheel lip trimming.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:37 PM
On The Tree

The 295s will fit with the rolled or trimmed fender lip, just figuring out back spacing, thinking 5" on an 8" wide rim.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I realize that this not a Buick, but I used 275's on a 17x9 in the rear and 245's on 17x8 in front. I have tons of clearance at both ends. The Torque Thrust M 9" has a 6.5 BS if i recall and I used a 1.25" spacer/adapter in the rear. The fronts fit as delivered. One of my next adventures is to go to a different wheel and tire with a 17x9 in front with the 275 and a 315 on a 17x10 in the rear. Depending on the wheel style and BS I don't see why a 295 won't go.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:59 AM
On The Tree

Of all of the A bodies, the 68-69 skylarks have the least amount of clearance. The rear quarter is almost a fender skirt compared to GMs counterparts. I have seen a 68 with 305s on v8buick.com so I know they will work, but I hear too many doubters so I will start out with the 275s and graduate to the 295s.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:16 AM
On The Tree

Of all of the A bodies, the 68-69 skylarks have the least amount of clearance. The rear quarter is almost a fender skirt compared to GMs counterparts. I have seen a 68 with 305s on v8buick.com so I know they will work, but I hear too many doubters so I will start out with the 275s and graduate to the 295s.
That's where I was reading about it also(from the doubters),I admit I don't know first hand. If you say you have seen 305's on a 68 then I'll take your word for it. I figured I would have to settle for 275/295's on the rear. If I can put 305's on my 69, then that would be even better.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:06 PM
12 Second Club

Bad *** car, and I love the theme. I used to have a lime mist 1971 GS with a 350.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:51 PM
Teching In

Man, You sure did a great job on that 69, I just pulled the 350 out of my 72 skylark and am going to install a 6.0. I really like the original air cleaner and valve covers. SWEET
Old 02-07-2013, 12:35 AM
Teching In

Default Your Transmission cross member

I have seen a lot of pics of guys lowering their mount for the transmission, It looks like you left yours stock. Did you ever think of lowering your mounting point on yours? I do not want to cut up my floor to get the 4l80 in my 72.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:04 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by pwirth
I have seen a lot of pics of guys lowering their mount for the transmission, It looks like you left yours stock. Did you ever think of lowering your mounting point on yours? I do not want to cut up my floor to get the 4l80 in my 72.
I did make a custom cross member mount that is all steel and about half as thick as the energy suspension technologies poly mount. I also gave the cross member itself a work over with a few 4x4 blocks and a sledgehammer. I was able to bend the cross member enough to get the proper transmission height. I do not recall how much I bent it, i think it was about a 3/4 of an inch bow.
As far as your 4l80, I am not familiar with the size of it or if you would have to do any cutting at all, a few guys were able to bend there tunnel to clear there automatics. Hope that helps you!
Old 02-07-2013, 08:40 AM
Teching In

Yes it helps, I thought that I was going to have to lower the mounting point. Thanks for the info!
Old 03-14-2013, 06:48 PM
On The Tree

So its been a while since Ive made any progress. Its tough to keep up with work, wife, and kids schedules!
Ordered up my rims and tires so far. Been working on fine tuning and retightening bolts. I had to drop the gas tank and adjust the fuel pump, I clocked the sock to the rear of the tank up against the baffle so I dont get any more starvation issues(99% positive that will solve the prob).
I have been slowly doing a little interior work, I cut up the glove box for clearance for the computer. I think I have a mounting bracket for the touchscreen, but I will post more info and pics on that as I progress. Still trying to figure out if I want to cut up the radio bezel to fit a modern receiver.
The big project has been the hydroboost brake booster conversion. I got a hydraulic brake booster from an Astro mini van and I have been doing alittle modifying to make it work. I cut down and shaped the firewall base plate that the hydrobooster came with(UGLY!). I had to make the hole in the firewall larger to clear the large locknut that holds the baseplate to the booster. The next step is to cut the rod off of the hydrobooster and weld the threaded rod from the factory booster in its place to maintain the same pedal linkage. Will update as I progress
http://s1062.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=0
http://s1062.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=1
Old 03-31-2013, 12:11 AM
Teching In

Like your Lark. I have had 7 "stepchild" buicks. I currently have 69 wagon with BBC. (was original Lime green) I think they all were green,lol.
I have hydro boost on my wagon. Stock front disc, and rear drum. I love it. better than any vac booster i've ever owned.
I originaly went hydro cause the crazy cam and overlap wouldnt allow any vacuume. I have since tammed the motor down, but glad I have the hydo set up. I think you will like.

I cant bring myself to re-do the wagon just yet, but will get an LS when i do.
I'm about 80 percent of the way on my LS 72 Vega build.
These gen III engines are the ****.
Nice Skylark man, thanks for sharing
Darrell

Last edited by 1100kaw; 03-31-2013 at 12:18 AM.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:17 AM
On The Tree

Any updates? Did you get the rims and tires yet?
Old 03-31-2013, 07:51 AM
On The Tree

Default Holley ECU

I will be running the Holley HP EFI computer and harness. Wondering if anyone has used it or has any experience with it, or how they like it?
Now that you have had the Holley ECU for a while how do you like it? Any issues on start up? Are you using 1 or 2 oxygen sensors?

Quick Reply: 69 Buick GS 415/T56