Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 Sonoma - LQ4, 4L80e, 76mm Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 02:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What paint did you use on the frame and under the bed? I'm debating between POR15 or powdercoating my frame.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 87caprice318
dang man you're going in on that...I have that pan and etc sitting under one of my beds at home...just waiting to find an engine to put it on...lol...you know anywhere reasonable I can get a dropout from?
I bought my stuff on ebay from bow auto they had a good price and extremely fast shipping... everthing has been what they said it was
Old 07-18-2012, 02:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Black98s10
What paint did you use on the frame and under the bed? I'm debating between POR15 or powdercoating my frame.

For the frame I used holt rod flatz and the bed I used duplicolor bed coating( the stuff with kevlar)
Old 07-19-2012, 05:51 PM
Staging Lane

Well, I was getting ready to head home from work to get back to work on the motor, But my a/c in the trans am stopped working... It looked like the a/c belt broke, wrapped around the tensioner, and crank, the ripped the treads right out of the hole in the bracket... so after a few hours and a little time in the machine shop, and a few cold beers, its fixed and i can enjoy my ride home

helicoil Bracket
Old 07-19-2012, 10:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1kwikF
I'm not sure what the color is called, I saw it on a 2011 m5 in that color, but I haven't had a chance to look up the color yet... its more of a royal blue than a dark blue... also, I've been thinking of doing a 2 stage color... royal blue metallic first, then black pearl, then clear... it should look black until light hits it, then it'll turn blue
LeMans blue is the blue on the '11 M5. There's been a ton of great blues come out recently. BMW had LeMans, Interlagos, and Laguna Seca blue that all look great. If you're wanting a darker blue, I'd look at Ford's True Blue and Sonic Blue or you could always either do your own or buy an off the shelf color that looks similar and will be a lot cheaper and easier to repaint.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:37 PM
Staging Lane

I like darker colors, but I also like the look of black candy (not pearl like i mentioned earlier). It makes the car look like its black til the sun hits it.

but i agree with you about off the shelf paint, and i will probably end up with a color in an OEM color book

maybe Sunset orange metallic with a flat black hood... I just like that look of a hood that doesn't match, Idk why, never used to, Just started growing on me lately.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:00 AM
Staging Lane

I played with my motor a bit this morning and got frustrated... Does anyone know why i cant remove my Flexplate? I took the six bolts out, and the plate wont budge, I tried prying and hitting it lightly with a rubber hammer, and it will not budge.

any help would be great.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by 1kwikF
I played with my motor a bit this morning and got frustrated... Does anyone know why i cant remove my Flexplate? I took the six bolts out, and the plate wont budge, I tried prying and hitting it lightly with a rubber hammer, and it will not budge.

any help would be great.
they can be a bitch sometimes to get off , spray any penn oil on it. did you try hitting it with a plastic mallet or deadblow?
Old 07-20-2012, 09:34 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
they can be a bitch sometimes to get off , spray any penn oil on it. did you try hitting it with a plastic mallet or deadblow?
I didnt really try hitting it with any extreme force. I was waiting on help from someone who knew more. lol, so thanks.

The one on my ls6 came off so easy, i just didn't know if i was missing something
Old 07-23-2012, 02:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Looking good man! The after pics of the truck are a hell of a lot better then the before!
Old 07-23-2012, 08:38 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by tiresmokinV8
Looking good man! The after pics of the truck are a hell of a lot better then the before!
Thanks, there is still alot of work that has to be done. The body will be completely stripped of all paint before i lay my first coat down.

There is nail polish, single stage, 2 layers of base/clear, some foreign substance, and body filler im sure i haven't found. And then i will start smoothing the body out.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:45 AM
Staging Lane

More work this weekend...

last week i tore the motor down to a short block, but i couldnt get the flexplate or pulley off. So after some heat, 3 6" pullers (broke the first 2), and i nice gash in my knuckle, I got the pulley off. The flexplate came off after 1 good whack with a rubber hammer. anyways, the motor is all apart now so i can send it out to be tanked and peen'd.

pics

this motor was supposed to have 140000 miles on it, but whoever owned it took really good care of it.

and something that i recommend everyone does. (at least until youve taken it apart a few times)
Old 07-23-2012, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

exactly the same thing i did with the bags lol. nice work keep it up. hope you spool your 76mm better than me haha
Old 07-23-2012, 07:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by T76s10
exactly the same thing i did with the bags lol. nice work keep it up. hope you spool your 76mm better than me haha

I think i have a better shot of spooling it, but well have to wait and see. going to be quite awhile before i even pull the motor out of my truck.

IMO 6.0 > 5.3 when exhaust gas in concerned

I like that bed setup though, what do you think of it?
Old 07-23-2012, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haha i definately agree with you there. If you do a front mount with a .96ar housing you should easily hit boost around 2500 depending on gears and cam. My setup is pretty fun i spool around 3500 with the .96 housing and it definately gets alot of wtf? Looks at car shows. I tried a front mount but just not enough room. Its gonna be cool to see yours finished
Old 07-23-2012, 08:22 PM
9 Second Club

Looks like you got the early 99-00 lq4 with the cast iron heads. Usually you can find a set of aluminum 317's for less than $200 on ebay or here.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by T76s10
Haha i definately agree with you there. If you do a front mount with a .96ar housing you should easily hit boost around 2500 depending on gears and cam. My setup is pretty fun i spool around 3500 with the .96 housing and it definately gets alot of wtf? Looks at car shows. I tried a front mount but just not enough room. Its gonna be cool to see yours finished
I was going to mount my turbo under the truck, but with the pot holes in chicago, and the fact that i want to run some autocross im changing that plan. I may run it in the bed like yours, but with a "bak-Flip" tonneau, and actual holes cut in the floor (unlike your squares, i like them i just think i can make them look better). I have to raise the bed floor about 4 inches anyway for the satchel link Suspension.

Originally Posted by shawnc16
Looks like you got the early 99-00 lq4 with the cast iron heads. Usually you can find a set of aluminum 317's for less than $200 on ebay or here.

Yeah, Ive found a set locally, just haven't pulled the trigger to buy them yet.

I did buy my ls1 intake though
Old 07-23-2012, 09:21 PM
Teching In

looking good man, big improvement over when you first bought the truck. What A/C compressor do you plan on using?
Old 07-23-2012, 11:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ch0425
looking good man, big improvement over when you first bought the truck. What A/C compressor do you plan on using?
Thanks, can't wait to be rid of the 5 different colors I have on my truck.

I'm using the ac compressor that came with the engine. I'm using the truck accessories, so it cause the least amount of problems since I already have brackets
Old 07-25-2012, 01:19 PM
Staging Lane

Look what showed Up today...

Quick Reply: 95 Sonoma - LQ4, 4L80e, 76mm Turbo