Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 Sonoma - LQ4, 4L80e, 76mm Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is nice having it in the bed. Makes it really easy to work on. I just cut squares instead of holes for more airflow and because I'm to lazy to cut holes lol. I just ordered a .81 housing for my truck so hopefully i make boost before 3000rpm now. What ar is your turbo and Is that a ball bearing? And also wrap your exhaust pipe. It works suprisingly well.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1kwikF
Thanks, can't wait to be rid of the 5 different colors I have on my truck.

I'm using the ac compressor that came with the engine. I'm using the truck accessories, so it cause the least amount of problems since I already have brackets
Cool, i having a hard time finding a compressor that has the lines on the side and towards the middle so that it wont hit the upper control arm.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:36 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by T76s10
It is nice having it in the bed. Makes it really easy to work on. I just cut squares instead of holes for more airflow and because I'm to lazy to cut holes lol. I just ordered a .81 housing for my truck so hopefully i make boost before 3000rpm now. What ar is your turbo and Is that a ball bearing? And also wrap your exhaust pipe. It works suprisingly well.
I wasnt knocking your holes lol.

This turbo is a t66, its got a .81 a/r and is a ball bearing. Im installing this one into my brothers mustang (v6). I originally was buying for a 5.3, but then i bought the 6.0 and had to change my setup a bit

Originally Posted by ch0425
Cool, i having a hard time finding a compressor that has the lines on the side and towards the middle so that it wont hit the upper control arm.
Im running the ub machine upper control arms when i get around to the suspension.

you can go with this:
Click here
Old 07-29-2012, 10:29 AM
Staging Lane

after reading that link, and having several of those brackets laying around i think i might try something similar. im not a fan of pancake compressors but fabricating ac lines on top of the engine would be much easier than cutting my frame and fabricating them through a space i cant fit my pinky finger between. and that would go ahead and make me decide to put the turbo in the bed. thanks for that man.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:32 AM
Staging Lane

with about 8 feet of aluminum piping running underneath the truck, might that reduce the need for an innercooler if i keep it away from the exhaust?
Old 07-29-2012, 10:37 AM
Staging Lane

another thought, using the truck accessories waterpump and all will save me about 400 bucks and i can use my 6.0 return style intake and fuel rails. anyone know if those rails can handle the flow of 42lb injectors?
Old 07-29-2012, 11:35 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by some dude
after reading that link, and having several of those brackets laying around i think i might try something similar. im not a fan of pancake compressors but fabricating ac lines on top of the engine would be much easier than cutting my frame and fabricating them through a space i cant fit my pinky finger between. and that would go ahead and make me decide to put the turbo in the bed. thanks for that man.

with about 8 feet of aluminum piping running underneath the truck, might that reduce the need for an innercooler if i keep it away from the exhaust?
this is per STS (the rear mount turbo pros)... The next stage you can add an intercooler and that will allow you to unleash the potential that the kit is already capable of producing. At this stage you will NEED to have injectors, fuel pump, and tuning. That will allow you to achieve typical gains of 150+hp @ 7psi. The intercooler kit will safely allow you to turn your boost level up to reach those numbers.

another thought, using the truck accessories waterpump and all will save me about 400 bucks and i can use my 6.0 return style intake and fuel rails. anyone know if those rails can handle the flow of 42lb injectors?
Im using truck accessories with an ls2 waterpump and ls1 intake.

the truck rails appear to be much larger than ls1 so they should be fine. however, im just speculating
Old 07-29-2012, 11:43 AM
Staging Lane

Drove for 3 hours to Indianapolis yesterday to pick up these heads from jgillen91.

317 castings
Aluminum

Old 08-06-2012, 07:49 PM
Staging Lane

Well, since Im at a standstill with my engine, and in the process of buying a house, Ive decided to Work on some other projects ive got in my garage so i dont have to worry about transporting them to the new house...

De-casting Trans Am Brakes (temporary until i set this truck up for autocross)

Also installed some trans am seats. Pink color on seats is from a project for my niece that i was building when the seats were in my garage.

Also, the power functions work on the both seats

Old 08-06-2012, 10:51 PM
Teching In

oh nice, i was wanting to put some nice leather seats in mine but i was worried about how to bolt them down without having to worry about going through the windshield in the worst case. did the bolt patterns match? i can do the wiring no prob.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:04 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SomeDude1
oh nice, i was wanting to put some nice leather seats in mine but i was worried about how to bolt them down without having to worry about going through the windshield in the worst case. did the bolt patterns match? i can do the wiring no prob.
The trans am seats were easy... well, the passenger side was too easy, and the driver side was a tad challenging.

Passenger side you unbolt the brackets from he s10 seat and the bracket from the trans am seat, and bolt the s10 bracket to the trans am seat... the bolt holes line up.

On the drives side, I had to get a bit creative due to the fact that I wanted to keep the power options. What I ended up doing was drilling out the rivets that hold the transam mounting brackets to the seat rail, and drilling out the rivets that hold th s10 mounting brackets to the adjuster. The I tapped the holes that the rivets were in on the trans am seat so I could add bolts. Then just drilled some holes in the s10 seat mounts to match up with the tapped holes on the trans am seat.

Both seats bolt to the factory locations. If I. Pull these seats out again, ill take some pictures, but I was in a small hurry today as I was finishing up
Old 08-10-2012, 12:08 PM
Staging Lane

Well, I finished up the painting of my calipers. Both of them look the same now despite being different castings.

These should hold me over until i get my ctsv brakes

Also, dont mind the paint on all of the seals, these will be rebuilt prior to being installed.

on to the pics

Primer

before and after primer (i hadnt even touched that caliper yet)

Paint

Finished

Before And After

and also painted my zq8 sway bars and hardware

Old 08-10-2012, 06:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Great job man!
Old 08-10-2012, 07:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by tiresmokinV8
Great job man!
Thanks
Old 10-10-2012, 08:22 AM
Staging Lane

Well, Ive been stupid busy for the last few months. Working 82 hours a week really doesnt leave time or energy to do anything else. Havent gotten much done, but im getting tired of seeing the pink/green/black/silver/different green/nail polish/sanding marks on this truck. Ive decided to throw a cheap paint job down for now to keep myself content while i drive the truck around.

now that is just primer, but im hoping i can prime the entire truck by friday night and then paint it over the weekend.

hope I can update soon
Old 10-16-2012, 09:44 AM
Staging Lane

finished the paint job...
Sanding though the crappy paint

Primer

Paint

Dried

Reassembled

all in all it looks ok,

have a good day
Old 08-23-2013, 01:18 PM
Staging Lane

well, I had a little hang up in my progress, but no big deal.
My Trans Am finally gave up the ghost, so im taking the lq4 and swapping it into there so i can get it back on the road.

I did, however, fix my suspension problems for the time being.

Front springs were cut from the previous owner so i swapped them out for Zq8 springs that i bought about a year ago. I replaced the shocks. My ball joints, were shot so those were replaced with tall ball joints. While I was swapping it all, I discovered loose steering linkage so all of that was replaced. and finally a Blazer front sway bar was installed with energy suspension sway bar links. (the lower version is before)

Next, I decided to rebuild and install the Ford 8.8 (disc brake, 3.73, Locker) and install it in the rear. While Installing I found out I had broken helper springs on both sides, so I pulled the center pins, removed the springs, and Installed new pins.

I had originally bought belltech shocks for the rear, but they were too short for my 2 inch lowered rear, so I bought some bilsteins and installed them, and the ride quality is much better.

Its also really nice to be able to launch better and do 2 wheel burnouts as well as having some traction around sharp right turns.

The rear definitely looks more aggressive now too

Quick Reply: 95 Sonoma - LQ4, 4L80e, 76mm Turbo