Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear mounted 3400 engine in a 36 chevy low cab

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 11:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear mounted 3400 engine in a 36 chevy low cab

well here it goes, i have a 36 chevy low cab truck that needs a new power plant and i happen to have a 2000 grand am gt for parts and the other day i pulled the motor out and thought to myself, this might be a good donor motor for the 36. so i pulled the computer and wiring harness but i did cut the harness. i cut it right were it goes into the cab of the car ITS NOT the harness that goes to the computer so hope im ok there. by the looks of it the wires just run everything in the cab of the car (im hoping). so my question is how do i get the motor to work i the 36 chevy truck. all im asking is, can someone tell me how to get it to RUNNING not how to install it, as im working on how to make that work. Im hopping to make it a rear mounted engine (not using the trans axel style tranny) so if you know of any makes and models of cars that the trans would bolt up to on this motor please post that as well. i think the camaros might have a trans that would work but maybe someone can confirm that for me.

Last edited by ryans01z28; 07-17-2012 at 11:31 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:30 PM
TECH Resident

Can't confirm, but a Camaro transmission is your best bet. I think all the 60 degree motors had the same bellhousing pattern.

I'm going to assume that the 3400 engine management is very similar to the LS stuff. You should be able to simply pin out your power leads and build a fuse/relay box. Resources may be limited, but I'm sure the info is out there somewhere. Maybe the Fiero or J-body communities can help you with wiring?

And we require pictures. Lots of pictures.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by i r teh noobz
Can't confirm, but a Camaro transmission is your best bet. I think all the 60 degree motors had the same bellhousing pattern.

I'm going to assume that the 3400 engine management is very similar to the LS stuff. You should be able to simply pin out your power leads and build a fuse/relay box. Resources may be limited, but I'm sure the info is out there somewhere. Maybe the Fiero or J-body communities can help you with wiring?

And we require pictures. Lots of pictures.
I was thinking if I just plug in all the connectors to the sensors and plug in he computer and figure out which wires run the ignition it would fire right up but I'm probably in dream land there lol. I've submitted this to the grand am forum and the kill billet form with no responds so far but I think it should be a neat project this winter if I can find someone that has dropped in some kind of a take out EFI engine and tell me what they did or needed to make the kitty purr. As for pics I will defiantly post them up as I make progress for sure.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:57 AM
TECH Regular

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

I have a camaro with the 3.8L and the 4l60e will fit on those motors as well. I'm not 100% sure on what year to go with but I'd try to stay close to the year of the motor for ease of swapping. Just make sure you don't get a trans from a van/s truck with a 4.3L those will not work they are the V8 90* style. Also the computer may not have a problem with the trans in the FWD design is a transverse 4L60E (4T60E??) and you're putting a 4L60E in place of it....but I'm a bit of an optimist.
Or you could get a computer from a 93-95ish Camaro with a 3.4L and it'd work great.
Jessica
Old 07-25-2012, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Check out the following:

v6z24.com
grandamgt.com
beretta.net
60degreev6.com

Those are the sites you will want to find out 60* v6 information from - as I used to own 3 cars with that motor in it... haha.

There is a v6 rwd auto trans, and a t5 rwd trans you should be able to use.

Quick Reply: rear mounted 3400 engine in a 36 chevy low cab