Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lets say I wanted AC

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 10:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lets say I wanted AC

I have the compressor, I can make it fit. The condenser dryer ect is a different story.

but its a mid engined car, and it never had provision for AC.

what is the simplest cheapest lightest and smallest way to get AC in a car that never had it, and has no heat?

I don't really want to add the weight, the cost or the complexity. but damn, these recent hundred degree days have been killing me.

and is there by chance a removable AC option?
Old 07-18-2012, 10:30 PM
Teching In

I'll be anxiously awaiting the answer to this one. I've been thinking along the same lines. No sense in letting that perfectly good compressor go to waste. There's gotta be a simple, not too expensive, stand-alone, solution.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:37 PM
Launching!

Something like this?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/VT...UZ-A/?rtype=10
Old 07-18-2012, 11:00 PM
On The Tree

Very interesting, thanks, though I found a better price.

Amazon Amazon

but then id still need controls and the rest of the underhood stuff.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:28 PM
Launching!

I am sure if you hunt around you can find a real good price and Amazon is pretty great. I buy a lot of parts from them. You should be able to get lines made from a local place and will just have to get a dryer fitted
Old 07-18-2012, 11:49 PM
On The Tree

I still have to find a radiator that will fit, so might be able to get them as one unit
Old 07-19-2012, 02:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Vintage and Classic Auto Air have universal kits that could be adapted. I went with Classic Auto Airs cable operated universal system in my last project. Very happy with it.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:09 AM
11 Second Club

http://www.newlaunches.com/entry_ima...0/car_ac_1.php

It's easily removeable too.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:13 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 00maroonz28
lol
Old 07-19-2012, 08:22 AM
On The Tree

In New York where electric rates are disgusting during the day, a lot of older buildings that are less efficient have found that the easiest and cheapest way to use AC is to freeze a chemical compound overnight, then run water around and through it and into "radiators" and then blow a fan past the radiators for AC.

I bet you could make a similar set up for a car, but it wouldnt be good for much but real short trips.

I will check out some of the other companies. my problem is the engine is in back and the radiator is in front, so Id have to run some very long AC lines.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:26 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Crazier
In New York where electric rates are disgusting during the day, a lot of older buildings that are less efficient have found that the easiest and cheapest way to use AC is to freeze a chemical compound overnight, then run water around and through it and into "radiators" and then blow a fan past the radiators for AC.

I bet you could make a similar set up for a car, but it wouldnt be good for much but real short trips.

I will check out some of the other companies. my problem is the engine is in back and the radiator is in front, so Id have to run some very long AC lines.
Here ya go they are all over evil bay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1950-60s-vin...sories&vxp=mtr
Old 07-19-2012, 09:07 AM
On The Tree

LOL, i was just kidding, but that's kinda cool.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:39 AM
Launching!

hahahah that roof mount is the way to go
Old 07-19-2012, 09:51 AM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default A/c

The length of your linesbecome"it is what it is", rear engine porches have A/C don't they?
Either of those mini evaperators will work, just need a condenser and a dryer, the fittings are relatively cheap, the hose about 3.50 a foot, how much your local shop charges is the question, I install and this is what it costs me. For the inside lines that you can asemble, use the EZ clip that Vintage air has, they are a lot more flexible than the beadlock type line, as far as that goes, you can use them anywhere, that leaves out the shop that crimps your lines, however the EZ clip fittings are a bit more... Good Luck.....I use this cause it pisses Obozo off
Old 07-19-2012, 11:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

If you're serious about this, contact Vintage and Classic about their universal kits. They both had great customer service and put together packages that worked out very well with my LS swaps.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:53 AM
On The Tree

I think at the moment I am going to remove the alternator and install the AC compressor and then just let it hang there. I do not have the cash to do the AC right now.

The AC compressor has to go on first, and once the body is mounted removing the alternator will require either pulling the body or pulling the motor and transmission (ya, its that harsh, working on options)

The compressor bolts onto the side, and I think the lines come out the side as well, leaving it open to be easily worked on later. if in the end I decide to scrub the AC I can just cut the AC belt and pull the compressor off.

I want to make the rear panel of the front of the body removable to avoid such issues, but that removes a LOT of the rigidity of the body, I hope to put a roll bar back there and securely mount the roll bar to the body and have the roll bar bolt to the frame. then the bar will make up for the suport and I can still unbolt the bar to remove the body.....
Old 07-19-2012, 12:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can get them roof mounted ones at Wal-Mart pretty cheap..! .. hmm or was that a K-Mart Blue Light Special...

LOL..

But yeah.. check out those Classic or Vintage Universal kits.. they have a few unit that are pretty small.. and if it is a mid-engine Car.. I would assume that the interior is pretty small and would not need a very large capacity one at all.

BC
Old 07-19-2012, 12:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These guys also have a lot of universal parts and good info of their site. I used parts from here to build the A/C system in my 1977 Volvo.

http://www.nostalgicairparts.com/

Quick Reply: Lets say I wanted AC