Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sanden 508 Air Compressors

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012 | 05:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Default Sanden 508 Air Compressors

The 1965 Buick Skylark I bought came with a A/C kit which was un-installed. Looks similar to Vintage Air but is not. Made somewhere in Texas. This Sanden style compressor has a V-belt drive. I tried to swap it out to the serpentine style to no avail.

In the meantime I bought a Kwik A/C relocation bracket because I am putting in an L92 motor out of a 2009 Escalade. The Kwik bracket calls for a Sanden 508 style compressor or SD5H14. This is getting out of my league and after tons of searching I am not sure what to buy. Prices run from around $140 to $220 if bought from Kwik. Looking for suggestions and of course trying to save money. Seams to be a lot of Sanden "style" compressors out there but I don't know the quality of them. Another reason for the post.

Last edited by 1989GTA; 09-06-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old 09-06-2012 | 04:39 PM
On The Tree

Call Vintage Air in San Antonio, they can get the proper drive, I think you can aslo send yours to them and they will install.
Old 09-06-2012 | 04:40 PM
On The Tree

Also do you have room for the stock LS compressor? use it if you do. even better, if you can use it, get you one from 00-02 they will work best.
Old 09-06-2012 | 04:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Clyde65
Also do you have room for the stock LS compressor? use it if you do. even better, if you can use it, get you one from 00-02 they will work best.
I have the compressor from the 2009 Escalade L92 motor. It is probably a variable speed unit. I don't think it will fit in the stock location of passenger side bottom. That is why I bought the Kwik relocation kit to relocate it to the top passenger side. I know it will fit there without problems. I don't know who cost effective it would be to pay shipping both ways plus the cost of changing out the parts. That is why I was looking into just buying a new one.
Old 09-06-2012 | 05:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I personally would steer away from the stock compressors, I went through 2 before getting a sanden 508 at a car show from southernrods, which turned out to be a knockoff. The ac shop that charged my system for me said some of the knockoffs like mine are pretty good, hey it fooled me when I looked at it.That was about 4 years ago.
http://www.southernrods.com/categori...ressors-1.html
Street & performance carries a good line of parts & is knowledgeable, but not the most affordable.
PS, if you're who I'm thinkin of,check out my new air intake in my photobucket link & tell me what you think. Also look at my compreessor in stock f- body location- reboxed frame behind idler arm & small noch in crossmember which is less needed with sanden in place of factory comp.
Old 09-06-2012 | 07:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Yes, the Southern Rods SD5/4514 is what I am looking for. $175 is not a bad price. Your new air intake is an interesting piece. It looks like 4 throttle blades up front. Racing only? I don't see where an air filter would go. I live in SoCal so I am not sure who you think I am.
Old 09-06-2012 | 07:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Have a spectre air filter attached directly to maf . The (hat) sits over it & will have a plastic cover underneath. Both looks & function.
I believe we were trading notes on fast intake dimensions . You have the cool modified tuned port manifold?? I was designing my cross ram dual plenum ls1 intake which I still plan on getting back to one day.
Old 09-06-2012 | 07:47 PM
Staging Lane

My 52 Chevy came with a Sanden comp with a vee belt drive. I made up my own serp. belt setup (on a Gen 1 small block, now going LS), and found a compressor in the boneyard with a serp. pulley and switched just the pulley over. Found it in a Jeep Cherokee (or Grand Cherokee, was a few years ago). I think they're pretty common. I didn't want to get rid of a brand new compressor.
HTH, Jim
Old 09-06-2012 | 08:24 PM
Launching!

Default mount

Originally Posted by 1989GTA
The 1965 Buick Skylark I bought came with a A/C kit which was un-installed. Looks similar to Vintage Air but is not. Made somewhere in Texas. This Sanden style compressor has a V-belt drive. I tried to swap it out to the serpentine style to no avail.

In the meantime I bought a Kwik A/C relocation bracket because I am putting in an L92 motor out of a 2009 Escalade. The Kwik bracket calls for a Sanden 508 style compressor or SD5H14. This is getting out of my league and after tons of searching I am not sure what to buy. Prices run from around $140 to $220 if bought from Kwik. Looking for suggestions and of course trying to save money. Seams to be a lot of Sanden "style" compressors out there but I don't know the quality of them. Another reason for the post.
Check with Alan Grove, they make a mount for the Sanden, If that will not work for you, I have some prints for a mount that I used on a corvette front drive in a 65 chevelle, should be about the same as yours. With the mount I used, you do NOT have to notch the frame
Old 09-06-2012 | 09:06 PM
TECH Junkie

"You have the cool modified tuned port manifold??"

Yes, that is me. I have made 3 of them now.

My local mechanic ordered in a bunch of different compressors with serpentine pulleys and tried to swap them with no luck. I will look into it a little further.

Quick Reply: Sanden 508 Air Compressors