Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WARNING: eBay starter comes with one M10 x 1.5 bolt and one 3/8 x 16 SAE bolt

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 12:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WARNING: eBay starter comes with one M10 x 1.5 bolt and one 3/8 x 16 SAE bolt

Putting a GTO LS1 crate motor in a Panoz... no starter at all. Bought a newer design (2 long bolts) starter off of eBay HERE. I was surprised/pleased when it came with two bolts. I didn't pay attention to the fact that they were two different thread pitches. The SAE 3/8 x 16 will thread in the M10 x 1.5 hole just fine... but when you go to torque it it won't hold. Luckily It only pulled a thread or two out so running a fresh M10x1.5 tap fixed it. I was able to get the proper metric bolt to torque up fine. Now I just need to go buy another GM metric long starter bolt... it's always something

EDIT - Got a response
Brian,
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. This starter is supposed to come with only one bolt, the M10 x 1.5. We are checking our inventory to make sure there is only the metric bolt in with the starters. I don't know how this happened that you got two bolts. Thankfully you were able to correct the threads.
My original message to them...
I'm putting a LS1 crate motor in a Panoz... no starter at all. Bought a newer design (2 long bolts) starter from you. I was surprised/pleased when it came with two bolts. I didn't pay attention to the fact that they were two different thread pitches! The SAE 3/8 x 16 will thread in the M10 x 1.5 hole just fine... but when you go to torque it it won't hold. Luckily It only pulled a thread or two out so running a fresh M10x1.5 tap fixed it. I was able to get the proper metric bolt to torque up fine. Why in the world would you send me two bolts of varying thread pitch? All LS1s use M10x1.5 bolts for the starters.

Last edited by Cobra4B; 09-05-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You gotta love ebay....not
Old 09-04-2012, 09:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Man that sucks. I think pace has them cheaper than the dealership
Old 09-04-2012, 10:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I planned on trying out a ebay starter, probably couldn't be no worse then a POS re-manufactured one at parts store.

Just not sure which ebay seller I want to deal with yet.

Also thought about buying a used one off a dismantler off ebay.

Thanks for the heads up on the bolts.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nothing wrong with the starter itself... it's a top quality piece made by the OEM supplier. They just severely botched the bolts causing me to booger up the threads on a brand new crate motor.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you give them a 'jingle' to let them know about the bolt?
Old 09-04-2012, 01:51 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

kinda why i just go to the yard and grab bolts for my swap....wasnt taking that chance on supplied bolts...Luckily it didnt do much damage and was a easy fix for ya...also have a ebay db electrical starter....works fine according to the part stores testing
Old 09-04-2012, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gMAG
Did you give them a 'jingle' to let them know about the bolt?
Sure did.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Was about to buy that starter then seen they tried to hit me with CA sales tax WTF!
Old 09-05-2012, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Got a response from the company (see OP)... I should have never gotten a 2nd bolt let alone a SAE one. The starter is supposed to come with the long metric bolt to replace the short inboard one from the older style starters; they're assuming you have your outer long bolt to reuse.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

A friend of mine bought that same starter from the same eBay seller and broke his block when the nose cone broke, if you read the description closely if states "DELCO STYLE" it kinda appears to be a Chinese knock off, hence the too good to be true price.

85MikeTPI has a good write up on a brand new 2010 camaro starter and pigtail with part numbers, that he used on his project and the parts are genuine GM and the starter by itself was around $100.00-$130.00 from G.M. for a few extra dollars it is worth it in my opinion? The link is posted below.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ter-swaps.html

Last edited by lizeec; 09-05-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lizeec
A friend of mine bought that same starter from the same eBay seller and broke his block when the nose cone broke, if you read the description closely if states "DELCO STYLE" it kinda appears to be a Chinese knock off, hence the too good to be true price.

85MikeTPI has a good write up on a brand new 2010 camaro starter and pigtail with part numbers, that he used on his project and the parts are genuine GM and the starter by itself was around $100.00-$130.00 from G.M. for a few extra dollars it is worth it in my opinion? The link is posted below.

Interesting, going to go through that thread later. Thanks for the link

Breaking the block gives me nightmares.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lizeec

Hmmm... GM doesn't make their parts. They have a tier one supplier make them for them. When that supplier makes the same part for another vendor to be sold private-label they can't call it a GM part so they say things like this listing does...

"...and exclusive manufacturing agreements with Tier One OEM and OE Certified State-of-the-Art manufacturers. Therefore, all our products are manufactured to the exact specifications of TS16949, ISO 9001 and ISO14001 Quality Standards. We also maintain our own Quality Assurance Department that constantly monitors and conducts life-cycle testing on all our products to ensure our products meet our high standards for quality."

Some aftermarket parts are crap.... others are made my the same guys that make them for the OEMs and just sold at a discount.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Same supplier does not mean same quality, the same company can manufacture various qualities of the same thing. A tier-1 producer might be capable of making a tier-1 part, but that does not preclude their making tier-2, 3, 8 etc. Not saying I disagree with you, as I know of cases where what you suggest is certainly true, but it's something to consider. Your extra bolt and the other guys broken cone makes me think their quality checks might themselves need to checked. Either way it's cool you told the guy and that he can fix it moving forward.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Eh... at the end of the day it's a starter, not a crankshaft or a cylinder head. Plus this is a race car not a daily driver that will get started multiple times a day every day.

I'll get it mounted up with the right bolts and keep on truckin'. I'm considering buying a 2nd one for my Z06 as I have to pull the heads to swap lifters and I still have the original old design starter.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:47 PM
Teching In

i got one of those ebay starters, thing went out in like 3 weeks...

Quick Reply: WARNING: eBay starter comes with one M10 x 1.5 bolt and one 3/8 x 16 SAE bolt