Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1985 Monte Carlo SS 6.2l (ls3) / 4l80e swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 08:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it was not throwing codes and having problems while on the dyno or while driving around until recently I would not consider the engine/trans harness a primary target. If the harness was wrong you would have had problems from the beginning.

You may be experiencing a voltage drop to the ECM. They start doing weird things when they don't get the power they need.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Docked Wage
If it was not throwing codes and having problems while on the dyno or while driving around until recently I would not consider the engine/trans harness a primary target. If the harness was wrong you would have had problems from the beginning.

You may be experiencing a voltage drop to the ECM. They start doing weird things when they don't get the power they need.
Well I found this thread and I'm fearing I have a Frankensteined setup that isn't jiving

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/1702344-pulling-my-hair-out-please-help-me.html

I have a 2006 or so corvette pedal , looks to be a 2007+ ecm a 2008 l92 motor and a stock l92 throttle body. ...This is just over my head.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Car looks awesome, nice work.

It may just be my eye or it may be camera trickery, but that rear end looks like it has a very bent axle tube. I held a straight edge on the screen on all the pictures, the tubes don't line up in any of them. Sorry, I have an eye for that kind of stuff.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by llorracs93s10
Well I found this thread and I'm fearing I have a Frankensteined setup that isn't jiving

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagn...e-help-me.html

I have a 2006 or so corvette pedal , looks to be a 2007+ ecm a 2008 l92 motor and a stock l92 throttle body. ...This is just over my head.
As long as the OS for the ECM and TCM are aligned then there should not be an issue with the hardware you listed.

Go back to the basics. Check your ground path. Don't rely on body or engine mounts to transfer ground. Ground straps are your friend.

Check the voltage at the ECM both the Constant and Switched while cranking. What are the readings?
Old 10-20-2014, 09:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Horsepwraddict
Car looks awesome, nice work.

It may just be my eye or it may be camera trickery, but that rear end looks like it has a very bent axle tube. I held a straight edge on the screen on all the pictures, the tubes don't line up in any of them. Sorry, I have an eye for that kind of stuff.
Thanks and yes they have a slight bend to them and I cannot find out why. I don't even know where to take it to for this type of work.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

As long as the OS for the ECM and TCM are aligned then there should not be an issue with the hardware you listed.

Go back to the basics. Check your ground path. Don't rely on body or engine mounts to transfer ground. Ground straps are your friend.

Check the voltage at the ECM both the Constant and Switched while cranking. What are the readings?
Yea I have three nice grounds I made but I'm sure harness grounds could be an issue for me. I just don't get if all the parts that I listed work togther....how do you determine that?
Old 10-20-2014, 09:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Without going into detail you are fine from a hardware perspective. If hardware was incompatible you would have had a problem the first time you turned the key.

Check with your tuner on the OS compatibility of the TCM and ECM. If it's working then it should be good. Does not hurt to check though.

Check voltages at PCM. Weird things happening at odd times leads me to believe you are experiencing a voltage drop.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Without going into detail you are fine from a hardware perspective. If hardware was incompatible you would have had a problem the first time you turned the key.

Check with your tuner on the OS compatibility of the TCM and ECM. If it's working then it should be good. Does not hurt to check though.

Check voltages at PCM. Weird things happening at odd times leads me to believe you are experiencing a voltage drop.
Tuner said that the OS is set for a 2007 Silverado to make the tune work with the 4l80e. Here is another update, my buddys uncle has the same setup as my motor wise with a l92. He used the stock l92 TB and with a late model vette pedal. I just have to see the difference between his and mine. Wonder if that could be the solution. If so, I will get my dad to order the correct gas pedal and swap that out. But I want to be completely positive that would be the issue.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Parts changing does not look like the answer here. Unless you are getting APP codes the pedal isn't a problem.

Can you clarify the OS is in the TCM and ECM are both from the same year?

Last edited by Docked Wage; 10-21-2014 at 08:39 AM.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Parts changing does not look like the answer here. Unless you are getting APP codes the pedal isn't a problem.

Can you clarify the OS is in the TCM and ECM are both from the same year?
That I am not sure. I just know I have a t43 tcm
Old 10-21-2014, 12:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

T43 is used in the 6L80/90.

T42 is used for the 4L60/80.

Have your tuner confirm the OS of ECM and TCM are from the same year.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

T43 is used in the 6L80/90.

T42 is used for the 4L60/80.

Have your tuner confirm the OS of ECM and TCM are from the same year.
Typed it wrong, I have a t42. Either way if the OS is not from the s years, wouldn't it not work right off the bat?
Old 10-21-2014, 08:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

By asking I'm trying to eliminate a possible variable.
Old 11-02-2014, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

By asking I'm trying to eliminate a possible variable.
Got a friends uncle to come over and further dig into the problem. He believes it's ecm related. Hp tuners said the first ecm I had OS was for a 07 silverado with .6 liter per cylinder = 4.8l

The current one i have has the same flashed tune as the one above BUT an quick look at the oem application for this ecm is set for a v6 Impala base tune with the same .6 liter per cylinder = 4.8l.

Confused to say the least.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

cool project, hopefully you get it sorted out.

where did you get the rad from?
Old 01-02-2015, 05:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by steve40
cool project, hopefully you get it sorted out.

where did you get the rad from?
yea man, hoping to have the shop I called to tell me to bring it up and swap the harness and dial in the gauges....After that, taking the rear out to be fixed from a reputable shop locally......Hopefully by spring time, I will have the car where I want to be, besides being lowered more, lol.

As for the radiator, its a ebay one but I think I am swapping it out for a lt1 radiator like TheMerv uses. My car seems to sit high, temperature wise, when its at running temp. It has been upwards of 240 degrees before and I am not liking that. I have dual ls1 fans that turn on staggered, which work, and I have had the radiator bleed with my buddy's funnel that screws onto the top of the radiator and still not running cooler. It has a stock 192 thermostat in it from the factory, so I dunno what to do about that.....
Old 01-09-2015, 09:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well the last couple of months I have just let the car sit for the most part and got away from it with a little bit of here and there dabbling in researching my issues. I have a few good outlets for some of the issues. I have a time frame set for the car to go to the shop to get the harness swapped for the brand new, untouched harness from PSI. They will swap the harness, relocate my battery to the trunk so i can get my intake finished off and adjust my turn downs so I can mount my sway bar.

On top of that, my buddy was nice enough to ask a few of his ''older'' car guys on local places to fix my rear issue and seems like they found me a solid place. Guy is a really nice down to earth dude that seems to be a car guy in and out with a GREAT hourly rate. He told me that there is a chance to fix my rear without re-tube'ing it so we will see. So plans are to go as followed.....End of January trailor it up to NJ to the shop to fix the harness, exhaust and relocate the battery. I will than drive the car to my buddy's to yank out the rear, and take it to the shop which is within 20 minutes from me and less from his place. Get the rear swapped back in and touch up a few things to get it ready for spring time.

Additionally to the car, I have accepted a new job to start on the 13th and will be working a lot more and having a longer drive with the potential of flying out to several places around the US for jobs. So I am hoping for several things with the new job.....with more $$ I can pay stuff off quicker, get my car in a garage to get classic car insurance and use the fact i will get a company car to save on $$ even more. All this will help out for life issues and the occasional need to buy a car part or two....lol.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:37 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice car and sounds like a pain in a## anyways if it has **** or wheels you will have problems but it is all worth it. I was thinking about what you said earlier that your brother got in trouble with that car, I'm wondering if he tried to jump over something with it, just saying you did have a broken front coil and bent tubes not that it matters now but good thing he had to park her
Old 01-09-2015, 05:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by billymgb1000
nice car and sounds like a pain in a## anyways if it has **** or wheels you will have problems but it is all worth it. I was thinking about what you said earlier that your brother got in trouble with that car, I'm wondering if he tried to jump over something with it, just saying you did have a broken front coil and bent tubes not that it matters now but good thing he had to park her
lol. Apparently I'm lucky and only have to deal with the car half of your first sentence. haha. As for the tenure my brother having the car, he did run it a couple times on back roads a few times but I am not sure if he ''Dukes of Hazzard'' it lol. As for the bent tube, that is a rear I just bought a little over a year ago, so that was not in it.

Either way, hoping to get that stuff knocked out before spring time and than i can start saving money for the next investment on the car....Interior.
Old 02-08-2015, 04:25 PM
Teching In

I've enjoyed reading about your swap. Any updates. You provided me with some great info for my next swap which will be a 84 Monte Carlo. Wish you luck with issues your having, PSI makes a great product and provide the best customer service I have experienced so far. I purchased a harness and pcm from them in my 65 impala swap and they answered every question i had quickly.

Quick Reply: 1985 Monte Carlo SS 6.2l (ls3) / 4l80e swap