Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1985 Monte Carlo SS 6.2l (ls3) / 4l80e swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 06:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by llorracs93s10
So now, I have a electrical and a mechanical problem with the transmission. The trans is shot and the wiring to the trans seems to be not working either.
I still have a SSR T56 sitting in my basement... Say the word and it could be in your car in a weekend.

(The pedals, clutch, bell, hydraulics are all on you.. )

Just ribbing you.. But since you haven't called, I presume you're getting all the help you need...
Old 07-19-2014, 07:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by V8Rumble
OK, THAT is going into my signature!!

Man, I hate to read about your project "bouncing off the guardrail" like that - but it's sure not anything that I haven't experienced with my own project... I don't know if it'll make you feel better, but maybe sit back, take a minute to take a GOOD look at the car, and realize how CLOSE you are to being able to drive & enjoy the Monte SS you've been dreaming of for so long!! (Hell, MY car is virtually a BARE SHELL! No drivetrain, steering column, radiator, interior, etc!)

You've gotten it this far, & it's a gorgeous, sexy BEAST. I'll bet dollars to donuts you'll get past this speed bump & be driving it this summer before the weather gets cold again...
To be honest, my post seems more disappointing than what I really feel. I took the news a hell of a lot better than previous situations. Most disappointing thing to me is the fact the wiring has something wrong and I spent money on it to run how it was setup and I had to not only do modding to it but my buddy's uncle, 85Miketpi had to do work to it as well. I am not really upset about the trans as much just because I bought it blind as a bat not knowing its history and chanced that. The wiring is the biggest issue. And not knowing if that remote 4l80e shift control module would be the best choice since it comes with the connections needed to work the trans. So than my engine harness would be useless from the tranny wires all together....

But I really do realize how close it is. Hell, I am used to turning the key and hearing it run, even though its rich and not where it needs to be but I can remember when I was chomping at the bits anticipating what it WOULD sound like IF it would run. lol.

On a bright note, getting the car up on the trailor was fun on the gravel driveway....I know the rear spins posi easy,
Old 07-19-2014, 07:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
I still have a SSR T56 sitting in my basement... Say the word and it could be in your car in a weekend.

(The pedals, clutch, bell, hydraulics are all on you.. )

Just ribbing you.. But since you haven't called, I presume you're getting all the help you need...
Man, now you got me thinking!! lol. Damn it why did you have to say that! haha.

Wonder if it would be cheaper even though my whole harness is wired for the 80e....

And yea, my buddy who had helped with the wiring had his buddy bring the trailor and brought it up to Powerhaus. I get to maul it over for the weekend and see what I want to do. He said that they would do the work and start as early as the 28th of this month. I just have to give them the thumbs up to go a head get a trans and start yanking the old one for the new one and running that module.

But damn a t56 would be freaking awesome. Maybe save that for gunnar since he is looking for a trans now and t56 would be fun as hell.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Before you start to condemn and switch out the trans you may want to:

1. Ask your tuner what base tune he's running in the E38. If the base tune was something that never had a T42 TCM hooked up to it there will be a communication issue. For example, an Escalade L92 tune will not work with a T42 because it wants a T43. Same with a Corvette tune. You should start with an LY6 Base Tune which was tied to a T42/4L80E then performance tune for the 6.2 from there.

2. Put the car on jacks and verify that the TCM is communicating on the CAN bus and that Vehicle Speed can be seen in the Live Data on the CAN Bus. If you can't see the Speed then you know you have communication problems.

I done 3 of these same swaps where guys used the 6.2 L92 and 4L80E. The way I've made them work is building the Harness like an LY6 and starting with the LY6 base tune.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

If your tuner starts to mess with the base calibration, make sure he knows what year E38 it is because you can brick the newer ones.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry docked, fell asleep on the couch last night and woke up awkwardly lol. But I will let him know about that and hope to not offend him.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

To avoid an issue just ask for the VIN in the ECM then decode it yourself.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Guess I will be having some things to figure out on Monday. Last thing I want to do is spend money on something I might not need.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well car is home after quite a few hurdles but I am still running into issues with the car and it is starting to get to me........not sure what's worse , not seeing it and not driving it or seeing it and not driving it lol.

As for the car, when it went to powerhaus, it got a new trans installed and figured out the wiring issues. After that, we went ahead and swapped out the oil pan for a better fitting one. But now I am having a leak from the passenger side and I cannot find out where. On top of that the rear tubs rub my tires and my trans connector leaks trans fluid. So I have a bit if work still ahead of me to drive it.

As for good news, I was able to drive it home and while driving conservatively, I found a few spots to get on it. And damn it felt good. We'll here's the picture of the dyno results and the leaks. ....any insight is greatly appreciated.
Name:  20140831_172749_zpscw6tlmep.jpg
Views: 1235
Size:  54.0 KB

Name:  20140904_145723_zpschzfit6z.jpg
Views: 1255
Size:  46.0 KB

Name:  20140904_145802_zpsnd24mpwo.jpg
Views: 1274
Size:  69.8 KB

Name:  20140904_145831_zpsu8vmjaun.jpg
Views: 1275
Size:  67.3 KB

Name:  20140904_145933_zpsvv5aqsrb.jpg
Views: 1275
Size:  98.4 KB
Old 09-05-2014, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry if I missed it I skimmed a few pages and couldn't find anything, what size wheels and tires are these and what suspension mods did you do to get that stance?

Old 10-10-2014, 12:39 PM
Teching In

Well car is home after quite a few hurdles but I am still running into issues with the car and it is starting to get to me........not sure what's worse , not seeing it and not driving it or seeing it and not driving it lol.

As for the car, when it went to powerhaus, it got a new trans installed and figured out the wiring issues. After that, we went ahead and swapped out the oil pan for a better fitting one. But now I am having a leak from the passenger side and I cannot find out where. On top of that the rear tubs rub my tires and my trans connector leaks trans fluid. So I have a bit if work still ahead of me to drive it.

As for good news, I was able to drive it home and while driving conservatively, I found a few spots to get on it. And damn it felt good. We'll here's the picture of the dyno results and the leaks. ....any insight is greatly appreciated.

nice SS. any more updates? wanna see vids of her running.
Old 10-10-2014, 05:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fry_
Sorry if I missed it I skimmed a few pages and couldn't find anything, what size wheels and tires are these and what suspension mods did you do to get that stance?

Wheels are 17x8 with 235/45/17 and 18x9.5 with 295/45/18 out back. Frames notched and a good bit of use of the BFH for tub clearance. Stance wise stock rear coils and for the front I have moog 5660 coils and 2 inch drop spindles
Old 10-10-2014, 05:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 87luxsprt
nice SS. any more updates? wanna see vids of her running.
Computer seems to have took a dump on me so it's not been moving for 2 weeks. And I have some videos of it some where. Nothing crazy.
Old 10-11-2014, 03:42 AM
Teching In

..... But now I am having a leak from the passenger side and I cannot find out where. On top of that the rear tubs rub my tires and my trans connector leaks trans fluid.....
Did you ever figure out where your oil leaks were coming from. You never mentioned them before...so to me, sounds like the shop caused them when they replaced your oil pan??? So they need to fix them for you. Or were they alway there and since you weren't able to drive the car the leaks weren't showing up?

Not try to get too much in your business...sorry, but I can't start my build for like another year or two so I'm living vicariously through you...lol!!

Dude...don't get down now! You are a short winter away from cruising in your 400+ horsepower Monty SS!! Just a little bit more love and attention to details...and you'll be making sweet love on the road with her!! Just think...you could be in my shoes, 2 years out before you can even start on your build....so SMILE!!

Good luck finishing her up
Russel
Old 10-11-2014, 07:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RusselBadSS
Did you ever figure out where your oil leaks were coming from. You never mentioned them before...so to me, sounds like the shop caused them when they replaced your oil pan??? So they need to fix them for you. Or were they alway there and since you weren't able to drive the car the leaks weren't showing up?

Not try to get too much in your business...sorry, but I can't start my build for like another year or two so I'm living vicariously through you...lol!!

Dude...don't get down now! You are a short winter away from cruising in your 400+ horsepower Monty SS!! Just a little bit more love and attention to details...and you'll be making sweet love on the road with her!! Just think...you could be in my shoes, 2 years out before you can even start on your build....so SMILE!!

Good luck finishing her up
Russel
Yea, we figured out the leak was a missing bolt behind the motor mount on passenger side of the block. So the oil pan was swapped without any leaks. So that got fixed, but I ran into another problem with the car. The car started to progressively get worse with cutting in and out at WOT to just daily cruising. It was at the point where it was like the car could be turned off by a flip of a switch and you would eat the dash it bucked so hard.

Drove it down to the shop where my buddy has a HP tuner setup and we hooked it up. Everytime it bucked and wanted to stall out, it would cut off the lap tops data logging and throw a ECM internal performance error code (I think p0606).

So now with it doing that, and stalling out in gear several times, it started to throw multiple TCM codes and the trans went to LIMP mode. So everything I talked to said it had to be the ECM for getting worse and worse.

Now I am just waiting for the new ECM to arrive. Its been 2 weeks of biting my fingernails since I wanted it for this big car show/cruise in Ocean City, MD this weekend and I didnt get the ECM in time.

And this winter is going to be a winter of nothing but paying bills off. I would love to get my interior redone or a few more things done to the car, but I do not think thats happening. Only thing I HAVE TO figure out is why my rear axle tubes on both sides have a slight upwards bend to create a camber on my rear tires. Thats the only real business I have to get done on this car for Spring since thats kinda a necessary thing to fix.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:56 AM
TECH Resident

What is the back spacing of the rear wheels and it there room from the frame to tire/ wheel well lip to tire?
Old 10-11-2014, 10:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 6togo
What is the back spacing of the rear wheels and it there room from the frame to tire/ wheel well lip to tire?
The 18x9.5 wheels are 5.25 BS. Without the notch, you probably will not fit it without a notch. I mocked up my 18x10 5.5 old wheels with the frame not notched and with 285 tires, they sat right against the frame rail.

So I say without a frame notch, you would not be able to with 9.5s. I have a 5/16 spacer on mine as well so it pushes the wheel out to the lip a little. I did cut some of my outter lip off since I had some body work done on the fender lips and with bondo, it would crack if I did a fender lip roll.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:23 AM
Teching In

Yea, we figured out the leak was a missing bolt behind the motor mount on passenger side of the block. So the oil pan was swapped without any leaks. So that got fixed, but I ran into another problem with the car. The car started to progressively get worse with cutting in and out at WOT to just daily cruising. It was at the point where it was like the car could be turned off by a flip of a switch and you would eat the dash it bucked so hard.

Drove it down to the shop where my buddy has a HP tuner setup and we hooked it up. Everytime it bucked and wanted to stall out, it would cut off the lap tops data logging and throw a ECM internal performance error code (I think p0606).

So now with it doing that, and stalling out in gear several times, it started to throw multiple TCM codes and the trans went to LIMP mode. So everything I talked to said it had to be the ECM for getting worse and worse.

Now I am just waiting for the new ECM to arrive. Its been 2 weeks of biting my fingernails since I wanted it for this big car show/cruise in Ocean City, MD this weekend and I didnt get the ECM in time.

And this winter is going to be a winter of nothing but paying bills off. I would love to get my interior redone or a few more things done to the car, but I do not think thats happening. Only thing I HAVE TO figure out is why my rear axle tubes on both sides have a slight upwards bend to create a camber on my rear tires. Thats the only real business I have to get done on this car for Spring since thats kinda a necessary thing to fix.
Wow...sorry it hear all that!! I hear you about paying off some bills. I'm working on my DuraMax project (in its 5th year) and was getting soooooo close to being done...ran out of savings this spring. Talked the wife into letting me break out a credit card cause I was so close to being done...$5000 and 3 months latter, I'm still not done!! Little things, but expensive things, keep popping up cost more and more money. Needless to say...the wife finally stopped everything and took the credit card way, took my hall-pass way and grounded me!! I now have to pay off the credit card before anymore car projects get worked on...plus I'm still paying on my daughter's college bill...2 more years!! In retrospect...thank God for my wife!! Otherwise I'd bankrupted and living in a cardboard box...lol!! Anyways...as stated earlier, that's why it's going to be 2 years before I can get started on my SS!

Well, hey buddy...keep your head up and keep us posted! I'm still pulling for you!!

Wish you the best of luck...
Russel
Old 10-11-2014, 05:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RusselBadSS
Wow...sorry it hear all that!! I hear you about paying off some bills. I'm working on my DuraMax project (in its 5th year) and was getting soooooo close to being done...ran out of savings this spring. Talked the wife into letting me break out a credit card cause I was so close to being done...$5000 and 3 months latter, I'm still not done!! Little things, but expensive things, keep popping up cost more and more money. Needless to say...the wife finally stopped everything and took the credit card way, took my hall-pass way and grounded me!! I now have to pay off the credit card before anymore car projects get worked on...plus I'm still paying on my daughter's college bill...2 more years!! In retrospect...thank God for my wife!! Otherwise I'd bankrupted and living in a cardboard box...lol!! Anyways...as stated earlier, that's why it's going to be 2 years before I can get started on my SS!

Well, hey buddy...keep your head up and keep us posted! I'm still pulling for you!!

Wish you the best of luck...
Russel
Thanks man, its just a car but still gets my blood flowing in all the wrong reasons. Just hope things start falling in my favor sometime in the near future.

And I am not ready for a family yet, so I would not have to deal with your stuff, lol. Good luck. haha
Old 10-19-2014, 04:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well got a new computer hoping that would solve my problem and as soon as we fired the car up, it threw a crankshaft relearn code. All other codes were cleared at that time but the crank relearn. Of course my guys Matco scanner doesn't have case relearn and the closest place to me wants to charge me atleast a hour and a half of money (80 bucks a hour) and says they might have to wipe the slate clean and start over on tune. I was like, ummmmm no thanks. Never done one before but I have read numerous times that the case relearn takes more time to get to the correct screen than the actually process of the crank relearn.

So that was no real big deal I guess, I could find someone to get that taken care of it. My biggest issue now is the car is throwing the same p0606 ECU internal performance error YET AGAIN. At this point I have no idea what to do. No way the computer is bad again and talking to a unbiased tuner, if it was the tune it would have done this right off the bat and not started 500-700 miles later.

Any thoughts what to do? I already emailed the wiring company and gave them a blow by blow on a 11 paragraph report stating all issues I have had with them so far. I again can not assume it is the tune or the computer. Can it only be the wiring? Any thoughts where to start looking? Total newb here but I can try and do some wire testing if I knew which needed to be hot with key on and such.

I WANT TO DRIVE THIS THING BEFORE WINTER FOR MORE THAN A WEEK THIS TIME.....lol

Quick Reply: 1985 Monte Carlo SS 6.2l (ls3) / 4l80e swap