Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 4l60e swap into my RUSTY '71 C-10

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 08:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Couple of questions:

How difficult would you rate the BCM swap compared to the rest of the swap?

Since the engine is reverse flow isn't the transmission cooler in the wrong side now?
Old 05-03-2013, 09:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 197 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by cjohnson6772
Couple of questions:

How difficult would you rate the BCM swap compared to the rest of the swap?

Since the engine is reverse flow isn't the transmission cooler in the wrong side now?
The BCM swap is basically just more wiring, but you have to wire it from scratch so its a little harder.
As for the radiator trans cooler, they just keep the temp of the trans fluid the same as your coolant. It doesn't matter which way the coolant is flowing.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

VERY IMPRESSIVE!! You sir have inspired me to blow the dust off my 72 thats been in storage since 08. Lots of great ideas and a wallet friendly budget. Thanks
Old 05-09-2013, 01:02 AM
On The Tree

Very nice my friend, great ideas in here. I like the BCM mod, do you have some schematics you wouldn't mind sharing?
Old 05-11-2013, 12:54 AM
Teching In

Man I just read through this whole build in one sitting!! Awesome to say the least!! Would you sell the truck right now?? I'd like to have it!!!
Old 05-11-2013, 10:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by OleYeller69
Man I just read through this whole build in one sitting!! Awesome to say the least!! Would you sell the truck right now?? I'd like to have it!!!
I'm keeping this one! The last couple of trucks I built I sold because I couldn't use them as trucks, this one I can. At this moment it's loaded with scrap metal I have to get rid of. It's great to drive, has been getting an honest 16-17 mpg, which I don't think is too bad either. I've put about 1700 miles on it so far without any problems. So thanks for the compliments, but I'm hanging onto this one!
Old 05-11-2013, 10:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Accrdwgnguy
Very nice my friend, great ideas in here. I like the BCM mod, do you have some schematics you wouldn't mind sharing?
I have all the schematics on a computer at work, but have no way other than printing them toget them home. I tried putting them on a flash ddrive, but the USB patr of the computer wouldnt work, neither would the CD drive. If I can figure out another way I can post them.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:01 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
I have all the schematics on a computer at work, but have no way other than printing them toget them home. I tried putting them on a flash ddrive, but the USB patr of the computer wouldnt work, neither would the CD drive. If I can figure out another way I can post them.
Upload them to dropbox.com. basically an online flash drive
Old 05-14-2013, 09:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Ok, here are the BCM schematics. These are the exact wiring diagrams I used to wire the BCMs in both this truck and my '33 Ford. You will need a basic understanding of electricity and know how to read a wiring diagram to do this. It's not a simple matter of hooking power to the wires that need power like when rewiring a PCM harness due to the fact that all the wiring is tied together in ther under dash harness. What I did was just get the BCM, switches and a fuse block with pigtails and wired from there. If you do it this way it's not a big harness at all as you can see in the pics I posted earlier when I was wiring it. That said, it needs to be wired the way the schematics show it. There are things you can eliminate depending what all features you want to retain, but for the most part you will be better off wiring the whole circuit of any particular function. The headlights for example, are not wired the way you would think, with two power wires, one for high beam, and one for low, and a ground at the core support, but rather have one power and two grounds for high and low beams. So in order for it to work, you need to put the power on what used to be the ground terminal, and then use the other two gor the grounds coming from the switch/relays. It is do-able however, and works really well when finished. I haven't had to touch the headlight switch the whole time I've been driving the truck since it's been done.
Attached Thumbnails 5.3 4l60e swap into my RUSTY '71 C-10-bcm-pin-out.gif   5.3 4l60e swap into my RUSTY '71 C-10-headlights.gif   5.3 4l60e swap into my RUSTY '71 C-10-exterior-lamps-1.gif   5.3 4l60e swap into my RUSTY '71 C-10-exterior-lamps-2.gif  
Old 05-14-2013, 09:53 AM
TECH Veteran

The rest of them.
Attached Thumbnails 5.3 4l60e swap into my RUSTY '71 C-10-power-dist-1.gif   5.3 4l60e swap into my RUSTY '71 C-10-power-dist-2.gif   5.3 4l60e swap into my RUSTY '71 C-10-power-dist-3.gif   5.3 4l60e swap into my RUSTY '71 C-10-power-dist-4.gif  
Old 05-16-2013, 04:50 PM
Teching In

I'm a newbie to LS swaps. I'm just starting on a swap of a 2001 LM7 into a 71 C10. Your thread is fantastic. You did much of what I was considering. Your thread let me see it for real before I tried it myself. Some of your design has me changing mine (your stock tank mod is better than the aftermarket tank I was considering). Many thanks for all of the details. You will save me an incredible amount of time!

I believe at one point in thread you said you might do the Hot Rod Power Tour. Not sure it was this thread. I've been reading a lot of threads. Will you be going on Power Tour?I'll be going and I would LOVE to see your truck in person!

Again, many thanks for all of the great info!
Old 05-20-2013, 02:18 PM
Teching In

Do including Tow/Haul mode and Cruise Control in a swap recquire the BCM to be included in the swap?

Thanks for the help!
Old 05-20-2013, 03:27 PM
TECH Addict

Awesome build....anyone else notice the license plate? Is that really one that happened to be 'LS1-346'?
Old 05-20-2013, 10:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 1965Impala
Do including Tow/Haul mode and Cruise Control in a swap recquire the BCM to be included in the swap?

Thanks for the help!
Pretty sure it's needed for the tow/haul although I've heard of people using it without the BCM but have never seen any positive proof that it works. The cruise control does not need the BCM.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by LSxChevelle
Awesome build....anyone else notice the license plate? Is that really one that happened to be 'LS1-346'?
Congratulations, you're the first person to notice that! Its a 1971 Missouri licence plate that I'm trying to register to my Nova. Still hoping that the number isn't taken.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks for the help!
Pretty sure it's needed for the tow/haul although I've heard of people using it without the BCM but have never seen any positive proof that it works. The cruise control does not need the BCM.

Tow / Haul (Performance Mode for some vehicles) is an odd thing... You can make it work without the BCM, however you can't get any indication it is engaged unless the BCM is present. The indication that Tow / Haul (Performance) is enabled (i.e. light on the dash) comes across the Class 2 data stream. Ironically to toggle it only requires momentarily grounding one pin on the PCM. Also note the default for Tow / Haul is "off" and there is no way to default it to "on."

Once enabled, all that changes is how firm, how fast and when the transmission shifts while the engine parameters stay the same. These settings can be changed to whatever you like in the calibration by a competent tuner.

Hope this was helpful.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:24 PM
Teching In

Thanks. I have a donor 2001 Silverado. It is drive by cable. It is a plain jane truck without cruise control so I can't look at it to see how cruise works. Obviously I need to get a turn signal lever with the controls but what else is required? Is the cruise function managed completely by the PCM or is there a separate module that I will have to acquire? What else? Thanks again. Will we see you on Power Tour? I will be there in my light blue 65 Impala SS!
Old 05-23-2013, 05:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
Tow / Haul (Performance Mode for some vehicles) is an odd thing... You can make it work without the BCM, however you can't get any indication it is engaged unless the BCM is present. The indication that Tow / Haul (Performance) is enabled (i.e. light on the dash) comes across the Class 2 data stream. Ironically to toggle it only requires momentarily grounding one pin on the PCM. Also note the default for Tow / Haul is "off" and there is no way to default it to "on."

Once enabled, all that changes is how firm, how fast and when the transmission shifts while the engine parameters stay the same. These settings can be changed to whatever you like in the calibration by a competent tuner.

Hope this was helpful.

Very helpful. Thanks!
Old 05-23-2013, 08:47 PM
On The Tree

Thanks. I have a donor 2001 Silverado. It is drive by cable. It is a plain jane truck without cruise control so I can't look at it to see how cruise works. Obviously I need to get a turn signal lever with the controls but what else is required? Is the cruise function managed completely by the PCM or is there a separate module that I will have to acquire? What else? Thanks again. Will we see you on Power Tour? I will be there in my light blue 65 Impala SS!
Cruise is easy, you don't need the BCM for it to work, just the cruise control box and cable from any mid 90's and up GM car/truck.

http://chevythunder.com/cruise_control_system.htm
Old 05-23-2013, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Accrdwgnguy
Cruise is easy, you don't need the BCM for it to work, just the cruise control box and cable from any mid 90's and up GM car/truck.

http://chevythunder.com/cruise_control_system.htm
Thanks for that.

Quick Reply: 5.3 4l60e swap into my RUSTY '71 C-10