Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Swapped 68' Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Great job! Your moving right along. I noticed you've got the driver side fuel rail cover with cut outs for feed and return line and the returnless fuel rail on the motor. Are you changing the rail out? I would return the cover and get the one for that fuel rail. Jegs carries the right corvette cover for you. I just put a set on mine.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1964SS
Great job! Your moving right along. I noticed you've got the driver side fuel rail cover with cut outs for feed and return line and the returnless fuel rail on the motor. Are you changing the rail out? I would return the cover and get the one for that fuel rail. Jegs carries the right corvette cover for you. I just put a set on mine.

Thanks, well I ordered the fuel rail covers back when I had the engine on the stand and thought it was a return system because it had two lines one running from the fuel rail and one from the intake to the factory fuel lines. I thought it was a return. I guess that other line is for gas fumes? I dont really know. That's something I need to research before running my fuel lines. I bought the vette covers on gmpartsdirect. They are half price there but took them a while to ship, I doubt they are returnable.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here's a link to the drivers cover from Jegs if you decide you need the single hole cover

http://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet+Perf...61503/10002/-1
Old 01-10-2013, 10:32 AM
On The Tree

Great job on the build thus far! You are moving along very well!
Old 01-10-2013, 10:56 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks, I may end up going that route. It would look odd having a hole with nothing going to it.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:29 PM
Staging Lane

Does anyone know where I can find this PCV piece that comes out the passenger side valve cover? If someone has a spare for sale I would buy it but I haven't found anything. Every GM dealer I have called that I can think of tells me this is discontinued and nobody has it. I broke it and need a new one, or anybody have an idea to substitute something else out? Thanks.

Last edited by BlackLS1Camaro; 08-04-2017 at 02:27 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

I can't see your picture for some reason.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:44 PM
Staging Lane

Here is a different picture of it, I believe it's number 273 on this GM engine schematic.

Any help at all is very appreciated. I need to find a way to seal this valve cover off by rigging up something different or buying a new PCV piece.

Last edited by BlackLS1Camaro; 08-04-2017 at 02:27 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You might be able to put a brass barb hose fitting in there. I would cut off the old remaining piece and make it flush with the rest of the part. Then drill and tap a thread for the fitting in the center hole. The thread could be 1/4 pipe or what ever size fits best. It could even be a 90 degree brass barb hose fitting depending on what was in there to begin with.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1989GTA
You might be able to put a brass barb hose fitting in there. I would cut off the old remaining piece and make it flush with the rest of the part. Then drill and tap a thread for the fitting in the center hole. The thread could be 1/4 pipe or what ever size fits best. It could even be a 90 degree brass barb hose fitting depending on what was in there to begin with.
That would work great, I might end up doing that. I have a few barbed fittings laying around I just hope the hole isn't too big for me to put threads in. I thought about epoxy-ing a brass fitting to it and running a brass barb from that too maybe. Thanks!
Old 01-12-2013, 11:07 PM
Launching!

Good lookin first gen man!
Old 01-29-2013, 10:49 PM
Staging Lane

Now that the Radiator was mounted up I started to work on the fuel some... I will really go into detail on my next post but here's what I've started with...

New steel tank... painted with engine enamel.

99' Corvette Filter/Regulator combo.

I didn't feel like buying a male fuel line fitting for $20 so I cut one off of the parts truck S10 I had. Luckily it was 3/8 and had a mounting tab I could use.

I took apart my old sending unit to see why my gas gauge only partially worked and found the reading pointer was broken at the end. Very neat how the mechanical ones work compared to the chips in the newer model vehicles. Same concept.

I bought the one feed replacement sending unit to keep the factory gauge and I wish I knew about the duel line unit because I had to make a return for the fuel. My dad helped me try to solder the steel like the otherside was but no luck. I am going to tig weld it and hope for the best. Might end up buying the duel line sending unit.

Like I said, I will go into fuel on the next post so don't be let down. And, as promised I will do a write up on the headers but it's just been several delays. Should be getting back on track soon. Time and money.

Last edited by BlackLS1Camaro; 08-04-2017 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Grammar error
Old 01-30-2013, 03:04 AM
Staging Lane

Great project. Can't wait to see it on the road.

How much firewall clearance do you have with the motor mount adapters you made? Are you able to get a ratchet & short socket on the the bell housing bolts or only a wrench?

I am in the planning stages to do an LS swap into my 68 Camaro instead of spending the money freshening up a tired old 396. I am leaning toward a 5.3 turbo build.

Already started working on making a set of header flanges to convert a set of big block headers to fit and made up some motor mount adapters to work with a set of small block frame stands. Not sure if I will need to make new mount plates or not. I would like to keep the transmission in the same location as stock so I don't have to build a new driveshaft or relocate my transmission crossmember. I build my plates off of some dimensions I found that may not be correct. We will see. Hopefully this summer.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:11 AM
Teching In

Sweeeeet
Old 01-30-2013, 10:53 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 68 TT
Great project. Can't wait to see it on the road.

How much firewall clearance do you have with the motor mount adapters you made? Are you able to get a ratchet & short socket on the the bell housing bolts or only a wrench?

I am in the planning stages to do an LS swap into my 68 Camaro instead of spending the money freshening up a tired old 396. I am leaning toward a 5.3 turbo build.

Already started working on making a set of header flanges to convert a set of big block headers to fit and made up some motor mount adapters to work with a set of small block frame stands. Not sure if I will need to make new mount plates or not. I would like to keep the transmission in the same location as stock so I don't have to build a new driveshaft or relocate my transmission crossmember. I build my plates off of some dimensions I found that may not be correct. We will see. Hopefully this summer.
Yeah, I had plenty of room to turn a wrench on the bell housing bolts, I don't know about a ratchet, I wrenched all the bolts so I couldn't be 100% on that. The bottom ones were cake. Now looking back I sort of wish I set the engine back just a little but you live and learn. The alternator would have hit the frame if It was back anymore. Everything clears so thats good. I think I have a drive shaft out of a 70's Camaro with a longer yoke I am going to try to use it and see how that goes.

There's tons of info on here if you have to time and patience to research it, but if you have any questions I'll be glad to help you. I am so glad that I went with a fuel injection LS series instead of building a carbureted 383 like I wanted at first. Fuel injection is nice!
Old 01-30-2013, 12:34 PM
Launching!

Looking great man! Love the wheel! I have the same ones on my 300z (with LS1/T56 swap) but with the polished lips.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:28 PM
Staging Lane

So I tried to tig weld the one line sending unit, and it didn't turn out so well. It warped real bad and blew a hole in the line. I could've probably welded on it some more and got it to suffice but I just didn't want to risk running a sketchy rigged up sending unit so I just bought the one with the duel lines.

Weatherstripping works really great and keeps the tank from rubbing or squeaking the trunk pan.

I love working with Aluminum since you can just about anything with it.

After putting some thread sealant on the fittings I bolted the fuel pump to the bracket I made and fastened it to the trunk pan with bolts and lock washers. The Corvette filter/regular mounting bracket fit loose so I found another circular mount, crimped the ground to a wire fitting and bolted it to the trunk pan as well.

That's about all I did today, not really liking this cold weather. More Soon.

UPDATE: Mallory was tossed, Walbro255 installed and Vette regulator was mounted on the same bracket. New Ny-Cop 3/8 fuel lines were ran after the 4 link suspension was installed. (Page 6+)

Last edited by BlackLS1Camaro; 08-04-2017 at 02:30 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Cold weather? Its 3:30am and its 70° outside lol. Gotta love TEXAS!!

Nice project btw, i will be starting on my second attempt at a second gen bird swap soon.

Last edited by zamora7; 02-05-2013 at 03:46 AM.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by zamora7
Cold weather? Its 3:30am and its 70° outside lol. Gotta love TEXAS!!

Nice project btw, i will be starting on my second attempt at a second gen bird swap soon.
I wish I was in Texas, in Kentucky one day it's 20 degrees then the next its 70. Crazy weather.
Looking forward to seeing it, I love 2nd gens.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:02 PM
Staging Lane

Been lurking the forums while I've build up some more money to get this show on the road. Since I haven't been working on the Camaro in a week or so I helped my friend and his brother work on their Yoda's.

Thank you Summit for the hook up on this Lokar cable!

Just an idea, OBDII port is out of a 99 S10

One day it's sunny and the next it's snowing I wish mother nature would make up it's mind!

Me and a few of friends up at work. I plan on getting my Camaro Tattoo touched up when I get my car done.

More soon!

Last edited by BlackLS1Camaro; 08-04-2017 at 02:31 PM.

Quick Reply: LS1 Swapped 68' Camaro