Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Swapped 68' Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am putting a ls1 engine and automatic out of a 2002 trans am. My question is, what motor mounts will I need to use and will the stock cross member work? I am putting this into a 1968 Camaro convertible.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bdorsam
I am putting a ls1 engine and automatic out of a 2002 trans am. My question is, what motor mounts will I need to use and will the stock cross member work? I am putting this into a 1968 Camaro convertible.
If you have the money you can buy the adapter plates from a number of places, hooker makes them, summit, the list goes on. You can also use polyurethane mounts but I read somewhere that they required some aggravating modifications. If you buy the adapter plates it may be easier/cheaper to buy them in a kit. For me, I had access to a plasma cutter and some 1/4in thick scrap metal. I found a diagram and went by that and picked up some factory '68 Camaro engine mounts at Advance Auto.

For your cross member it might be just as easy to make one if you have the resources or buy one. The 4L60e (Auto Tranny) is essentially the same thing as a 700R4 and I know the case lengths and cross members are a little bit different from a 350 turbo.

This thread helped me a lot with LS to other GM transmissions.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...questions.html
Old 03-13-2013, 09:34 PM
Staging Lane

Some more updates...

I finally broke down and bought a powder coater from Harbor Freight.

Next it was time to finally started on the headers. I have the steering gear box off now reworking the drivers side but the passenger fit fairly well except for having to cut the tranny ears off.

I jimmy rigged this adapter for the passenger side head to adapt the coolant temperature sensor. I ended up trashing this idea and tapping the water pump.

Last edited by BlackLS1Camaro; 08-04-2017 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 03-17-2013, 12:10 AM
Staging Lane

The 98 Camaro chassis is a lot different from the 68, the drivers side header shoots towards the right instead of parallel to the frame. Heres where it wants to hit.

Next I tapped out the oil bung plate that mounts about the oil filter for my mechanical oil pressure gauge.

Found an original driveshaft out of a '69 Firebird that I believe will work fine with a little elbow grease.

Can't wait to hear this thing run.

Last edited by BlackLS1Camaro; 08-04-2017 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wait just a minute.... Your saying the driver side header from a 4th gen Fbody fit? It didn't hit the gear box at all? Can we have a few pics of that? What headers were they? Maybe you found something out for us.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS1 pwrd NOVA
Wait just a minute.... Your saying the driver side header from a 4th gen Fbody fit? It didn't hit the gear box at all? Can we have a few pics of that? What headers were they? Maybe you found something out for us.
Yes, it fit pretty well actually. I believe it was a combination of the engine setting forward an inch and the way the headers were made but it clears just fine. I will try to get around to taking some pictures when I update my post again but I pulled the steering gear box back off to get a pitman arm for it and some custom power steering lines made. I don't know what brand they are is the sad thing. There is no emblems or stamps... they are just stainless long tubes with EGR made onto them for a 98 Camaro.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool updates and great progress! I agree, more pics of those headers please...
Old 03-18-2013, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks great
Old 05-09-2013, 10:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jake, your work ethic is very inspiring!
I had to chuckle at the hood hardware in the oven. I have to wait until "Sgt Honey" leaves home, before I dare bake painted parts in the oven.
Great job, and a reminder of how much work goes into one's project!!

Regards, Glenn
Old 06-10-2013, 11:32 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks Glenn, i'm sure powder coated food wouldn't taste very well. It says once you use the stove for powder coating don't ever cook food in it again because the powder coat will contaminate the food. Luckily we had that spare oven at my friends garage

I know I haven't posted in a few months, I've been living from pay check to pay check saving for parts and getting everything wrapped up for the project. But here's some updates.

Turns out I was wrong those 98 body long tube headers didn't fit too well. I beat on them to get them to fit around the steering gear box but I realized the pitman arm does not clear. I scratched my head for weeks on what to do... It being stainless NOBODY sold mandrel bent tubing kits unless they were $30 plus dollars a piece. I think speedway was the only place I could find it reasonable... After being turned down by a fabrication shop, and an exhaust shop I decided to hack into them and rework them myself. Turns out that was a bad idea... Here's a few pics.

After I sawed into them I just decided it would be easier (and cheaper) to just buy a set of headers. I couldn't find anyone that done ceramic coating near me so I just had to paint them with header paint. Summit had a sell on these Hedman headers, and I purchased them. Here's where I welded the 02 sensor bungs in.

Next I redone my radiator mounts completely. I took square aluminum tubing, used 85 S10 radiator fan shroud bushings, milled the tubing in the lathe, welded it to flat plating and used it to cradle the radiator. Very pleased with the outcome.

While watching the video of my engine running in the camaro I noticed the power steering pump squalled very bad. I done some research and found that mine came with a power steering oil cooler. From what I've read some of the Z28, SS, WS6 cars in the early years had these and GM realized it was a bad design due to it leaking and mixing coolant with power steering fluid. After I tore mine apart that's what had happened. I put a delete hose on, new GM pulley, and pump. Look at this gunk.

I went into Napa and got some custom power steering hoses made.. They looked at me like I was crazy when I told them I was putting an LS1 into a 68' Camaro.

My finished powder coated OBDII port and SES light mount.

I live about an hour north of Bowling Green KY so I went to the National Corvette Museum for the C7 Release bash and seen some pretty neat stuff.

Next, I bought a power disc brake conversion kit from Right Stuff with 2 inch drop spindles. Here's the teardown from the old drum brakes. My balljoints were factory as they were riveted to the control arms.

Torching out the 45 year old control arm bushings.

While waiting on my disc brake kit on back order I bought a set of ZR1 style powder coated vette wheels, but they are made to the C5 specs. 17x8.5 & 18x9.5's. Also made this mock up wheel spacer out of wood. "Try before you buy"

Apparently the 1968 Z28's and stock cars with power steering had different steering arms. Luckily my parts car in the field was an original power steer car and had the smaller steering arms.

This is a VERY helpful article on this..
http://www.pozziracing.com/camaro_steering.htm

Dragging the wrecked subframe back to get the steering arms.

I've still yet to buy tires, I will post fitment later on. But that's the basics.

Next I got my wiring harness done, Basically I reworked the stock harness and used everyones help on here on the pinout guides. I have to give credit to my friend who 5.3 swapped his S10 as he basically guided me through most of it. I basically used the stock fuse box and eliminated what I didn't need. This article helped me out A LOT!!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ification.html

I done away with the external voltage regulator, hardwired that harness into the ignition wire and it was like it was made for the car.

My PCM is being reprogrammed right now so in a couple more days I will be able to hear this thing run!!

Mounted stock fuse panel to the PCM mount I made..

I really have done so much more work than I have posted but all these late nights out in the garage will be worth it. I should have it running this week and can go into further detail on my wheels and steering & brakes. I haven't given up yet still determined.

Last edited by BlackLS1Camaro; 08-04-2017 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 06-12-2013, 02:13 PM
Staging Lane

I'll try to post a video once I get my PCM back
Old 06-29-2013, 12:55 AM
Staging Lane

Update, she's alive

First start up video:

Last edited by BlackLS1Camaro; 08-04-2017 at 02:35 PM.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:38 AM
Staging Lane

Congratulations!!

You must be happy!
Old 06-29-2013, 09:40 AM
TECH Addict

Great job man. Car's looking awesome.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:07 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too know that feeling for me it was about 2 years but when you turn that key for the first time and it fires yaaaaafinhooooooo you thought the guys at the auto parts looked at you funny when you told them what you were doing they didn't believe me when I told them I was putting a ls1 in a 1974 MGB you know when she hit the road I went there first good luck and awesome job
Old 06-29-2013, 10:49 AM
Staging Lane

I'am also very jealous of that garage!! Great looking ride! I have always wanted a 68.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:37 PM
Staging Lane

I really appreciate the support everyone. It feels great to set it on the ground. I ended up having to trash that mallory fuel injection pump and run a Walbro 255. I am hoping to get the exhaust and alignment on it soon as well as the fresh coat of flat black and i'm ready to drive it
Old 07-23-2013, 12:45 AM
Staging Lane

Havent posted in a while... Thought I would share some pictures.

Can't wait for LSFest! Hope to see everyone there!

Last edited by BlackLS1Camaro; 08-04-2017 at 02:36 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:59 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

that's awesome! Great job on the swap!
Old 07-24-2013, 09:14 PM
Launching!

Looks great man! Congrats on the progress.

Where abouts in KY are you from? Etown? I am originally from Owensboro but live in Nashville now. Im about to swap a LS3 into my Camaro.

Quick Reply: LS1 Swapped 68' Camaro