Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another 89 Mustang Coupe LS Swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 04:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trying to figure out my transmission situation. If anyone can help....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...l#post16856284
Old 10-30-2012, 05:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that your main focus is the trans right now but would it be possible to detail your process or steps to modifying your chassis harness? I am doing a swap in an 89 as well and want to simplify the harness but don't want to just start hacking stuff off. That just seems to be the area nobody goes into detail on with these builds.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:42 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TopNotchLSX
I know that your main focus is the trans right now but would it be possible to detail your process or steps to modifying your chassis harness? I am doing a swap in an 89 as well and want to simplify the harness but don't want to just start hacking stuff off. That just seems to be the area nobody goes into detail on with these builds.
Its really not too bad being that our cars had the engine and body harnesses just about completely seperate from each other. Makes them even more of a dream for swaps.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:50 PM
10 Second Club

The trans u have will work fine. Im runnin the same trans im my lsx foxbody. What u have is a 2wd truck or gto tailhousing and thats what u want. I have a level 7 RPM trans, and we have several people runnin low9s and even a couple in the 8s including our 2010 full weight camaro thats been 8.80s. car weighs over 4k and still has irs, ac powersteering wipers and everything else that came factory. So dont let anyone tell u that 4l60s wont handle the power. 4l80s are only needed for big horse as they eat power as well.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Like someone else mentioned, its really not to bad on our cars. The Engine harness plugs into the body harness over by the brake booster. Undo the two plugs and you are separated from the body harness. I'm going to leave the rest of the harness in place, except it will all be tucked behind the fenders out of sight.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Also wanted to mention, I bought this book after someone recommended it. It is VERY detailed and excellent if you doing any rewiring at all. Not only does it have all of the wiring diagrams, but it breaks the systems into sections and explains how each circuit works, and the order of events. I highly recommend it. I think they are available for each year model.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-FORD-MU...3c760b&vxp=mtr

http://www.faxonautoliterature.com/1...al-P11831.aspx
Old 10-31-2012, 07:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TxFireman1972
Like someone else mentioned, its really not to bad on our cars. The Engine harness plugs into the body harness over by the brake booster. Undo the two plugs and you are separated from the body harness. I'm going to leave the rest of the harness in place, except it will all be tucked behind the fenders out of sight.
I guess I'm just making it more complicated in my head. I know those are the only two intersect points but figured "it can't be that simple."
Old 10-31-2012, 08:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The engine only needs the wire that runs to the starter.

Really nothing to getting one in one of these cars

Tim
Old 11-05-2012, 06:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not a whole lot of progress. I finally finished up the shutdown I've been working for the last month.

Got my Team-Z LS swap K-member and all new hardware ordered. This is the one I bought. I did go ahead and pay the extra $40 to add the tie downs to it.

http://www.teamzmotorsports.net/prod...k-memswap3.htm

Also ordered a set of Team-Z Caster/Camber plates

Picked up a set of stock LS1 injectors and fuel rails to go with the LS1 intake I bought. Nothing big, but at least it will get me up and running. Trying to decide which direction to go on the transmission. I have the 4L60E I bought with the motor. Trying to decide if I'm going to stick with it, or change out to a TH350 or TH400. Can build either of those much cheaper than what it would cost to build a 4L60E. I like the idea of the 4L60E for the overdrive but man they are big $$$. Piddled a little bit when I came home the other night. Went ahead and pulled the truck intake, fuel rails and injectors out. Also pulled the exhaust manifolds off.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Been researching cam options. Leaning towards the MS3, just cant decide which LSA to go with. Will be stock long block, with the possibility of milling the heads. Will have the LS1 intake and injectors. Also 99% sure I am gong with the Holley HP EFI setup. Will also eventually have a 150-shot of nitrous on it. Can anyone tell me which LSA I need?
Old 11-09-2012, 09:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Im looking into "Trutech Alto Red Eagle" setup on Ebay for the 4L60-e, quotes 550hp that its good for. It's $339 w/free shipping, in our light of a car it should be fine with just that. Not sure what a shop would charge to do that.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That and I dont know if there is shop around here I would trust lol. I'm sure I could find a place in Houston.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

U silly guys n ur silly lil mustangs...... JK.... I may join the fox trot group n get a coupe. It's running just needs minor things. I'll let my son learn to drive a standard with this car and maybe it'll get the Ls treatment. Well it deserve to get one. I'll see what you guys do with yours n see what happens
Old 11-13-2012, 08:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not too much progress. Waiting to get the car in to get the front frame rails replaced. Once that's done it should start coming together. I sent the harness off to have it converted to standalone and do away with the stuff on it I don't need. I could have probably done it myself, but decided just to have it done. I think I finally have everything for the front suspension ready to go.

Team-Z LS Swap K-member
Team-Z tubular control arms
Team-Z Caster/Camber plates
All new hardware
Strange 10-way adjustable struts
Coilover kit
95 Spindles
95 Rotors
PBR Dual piston calipers

Old 11-14-2012, 06:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Picked up a LS6 intake. Is it worth upgrading the throttle body for a "stock" to mild build?

Old 11-14-2012, 07:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I want some of those PBR brakes!! They look way better than my single piston 96 brakes
Old 11-14-2012, 07:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

they are really pretty cheap. I paid under $100 for mine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-2004-Mu...e0fbb8&vxp=mtr
Old 11-15-2012, 09:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just get u a ported TB with the bump stop mod done.

I know a guy that does them if ur interested.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah send me any info you have. Thanks
Old 11-29-2012, 10:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Still at a stand-by. Waiting to get the car in to have the front frame rails replaced before I can do anything else. I did get rid of my Draglites and picked up a set of Pro-Stars instead.

Considering having them powder-coated black. Had a picture of a car thats the same color as mine with Pro-Stars. Here is a picture with them like they come:

And here is a quick Photoshop of them in black (Except my windows will be much darker:

Quick Reply: Another 89 Mustang Coupe LS Swap