Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999-2002 V-6 Firebird - LS3 Swap ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default 1999-2002 V-6 Firebird - LS3 Swap ?

Before everyone starts with the "why don't you just buy a Formula or a Trans-Am" suggestions, I'll tell you why . . .

(1) I want a HARDTOP ( bye-bye T/A's ) and Formula hardtops are difficult to locate and cost $2000 - $2500 more than V-6 cars do.

(2) I don't like the front light arrangement on the T/A, but love the look of the Formula. The V-6 cars have the same light arrangement as the Formula.

(3) I prefer the smaller spoiler of the Formula and many V-6 Firebirds have the same spoiler.

(3) It is MUCH easier to find a HARDTOP V-6 Firebird.

(4) YES, I did "leave out" the 1998 model year ( intentionally ) . . . Too many issues with computer, etc.

OK . . . Here is my plan ( briefly )

LS3 (maybe a small stroke increase - SLEEPER )
Cam, Pistons, CNC heads, All-Forged motor
4L60E or 4L80E
Strange S60 rear end ( 3.54 - 3.73 gears )
K-Member & other Suspension mods
QUIET exhaust system

QUESTIONS . . .

(A) I live in a state with OBD-II emissions inspection (NC). Is it possible to make this swap, including a computer swap and have the car legally pass emissions and be able to be legally registered and insured, since the VIN number will not correctly identify the engine in the car or the original vehicle the Computer came from ?

(B) What other suspension and brake changes will I have to make to bring the car "up to spec" for the new set-up ? This is a "Daily-Driver Street Car".

(C) I will be picking up a "Donor Car" ( probably a wrecked T/A) . . . Are there any major differences or fitment problems I should be aware of ?

Thanks, in advance !
Dave

Last edited by ez2cdave; 10-26-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

99-02 V6 F-bodies are DBW, so if you plan on using a cable throttle body you will need to make some changes. Brakes are the same on all 98+ cars. Other than that if you got a donor car you would have everthing you would need. Subframe and trans crossmember will all bolt right up. Its really not that bad to do, but I've only done a lt1 swap on one. You would also need to do something about the fuel system.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 3.8blackmaro
99-02 V6 F-bodies are DBW, so if you plan on using a cable throttle body you will need to make some changes. Brakes are the same on all 98+ cars. Other than that if you got a donor car you would have everything you would need. Subframe and trans crossmember will all bolt right up. Its really not that bad to do, but I've only done a lt1 swap on one. You would also need to do something about the fuel system.
I should have included that I want to use a cable-operated throttle body . . .

The fuel system would need to be upgraded anyway, even over a stock LS-1, but that is a great "heads-up" and reminder !

So, now my main concern is Emission-Testing and Registration / Insurance with OBD-II in a car that was swapped from a V-6 to a V-8, with the VIN numbers not matching . . . Anyone ?

THANKS for your reply !

Dave
Old 10-15-2012, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ez2cdave

The fuel system would need to be upgraded anyway, even over a stock LS-1, but that is a great "heads-up" and reminder !

So, now my main concern is Emission-Testing and Registration / Insurance with OBD-II in a car that was swapped from a V-6 to a V-8, with the VIN numbers not matching . . . Anyone ?

THANKS for your reply !

Dave
As far as I know the Vin number isn't going to be a problem for emissions as much as it would be for insurance. In most states, excluding California and Texas Emissions inspections stations are just ganna plug up a scanner to the OBDII port and not even pop open the Hood and as long as there's no codes you pass. Insurance on the other hand... if they find out you put a V8 in the car and you have a wreck you risk not being covered unless you tell them and prepare to pay first.

As far as the pedal and cable ... that's the least of your concerns in this swap. You just need a LS1 FBody throttle body and a LS1 FBody Cable and Pedal. The complicated stuff is ganna come with finding the right ECM and also deleting VVT.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ez2cdave

THANKS for your reply !

Dave
Not sure how it works up in NY, but down here in PA it was no big deal. Its still registered as a v6, but its only driven less than 5000 miles a year. Insurance knows that the car is a v6 car with a v8 in it though. They didn't really care all that much. However with an odb2 car you would fail emissions, at least here. Your vin must match the pcms vin. Your best bet is to just find a place that would pass it.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
As far as I know the Vin number isn't going to be a problem for emissions as much as it would be for insurance. In most states, excluding California and Texas Emissions inspections stations are just ganna plug up a scanner to the OBDII port and not even pop open the Hood and as long as there's no codes you pass. Insurance on the other hand... if they find out you put a V8 in the car and you have a wreck you risk not being covered unless you tell them and prepare to pay first.

As far as the pedal and cable ... that's the least of your concerns in this swap. You just need a LS1 FBody throttle body and a LS1 FBody Cable and Pedal. The complicated stuff is ganna come with finding the right ECM and also deleting VVT.
Good to hear about the VIN situation. As for the Insurance, I'll take my chances.

I thought the LS3 was non-VVT and the L99 has VVT ? Or is that the L92 with VVT ?

At any rate, I'm' not going to be dealing with a crate motor, preferring to use all new individual components since the motor will be all forged internals.

VVT shouldn't be an issue that way, right ?

Thanks for your help !

Dave

Last edited by ez2cdave; 10-15-2012 at 11:22 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can have the vin's tuned to match "frost" did mine in my s10 the only thing is though you will not be able to use hptuners or anything like that. If you email him he will get more in depth about it.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 10droped
You can have the vin's tuned to match "frost" did mine in my s10 the only thing is though you will not be able to use hptuners or anything like that. If you email him he will get more in depth about it.
Thanks for the tip. I'll shoot him an E-Mail.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 3.8blackmaro
Not sure how it works up in NY, but down here in PA it was no big deal. Its still registered as a v6, but its only driven less than 5000 miles a year. Insurance knows that the car is a v6 car with a v8 in it though. They didn't really care all that much. However with an odb2 car you would fail emissions, at least here. Your vin must match the pcms vin. Your best bet is to just find a place that would pass it.
I have heard "rumors" that it is possible to get a different VIN programmed into the computer . . . Anyone know more about that ?

Thanks !

Quick Reply: 1999-2002 V-6 Firebird - LS3 Swap ?