Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 into C3 Vette???

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 into C3 Vette???

i was wondering if anyone had done a LS1 + 6spd into a 70's vette?
any pitfalls to look out for?

later
tim
Old 04-11-2004, 08:13 AM
Launchin It!

Yes, There is one or two completed C-3's. 70LS1 is one. Both Scooter70 and I are in progress. It's not to hard of a swap compared to the others I see on the forum.
Old 04-11-2004, 08:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Once you get going, we'll have lots of tips for you. We have most of the brackets that you'll have to make drawn up in CAD. What's your car? There are a few tricks if you're starting with a 4 speed car (without a removable tranny crossmember) so that you don't have to cut the member and weld anything in. Here's my bolt in tranny mount.

I have some of my pictures at: http://matt.undiagnosed.org/images/vette/LS1/ . I haven't put anything into a web page yet. Too busy trying to get the car running.
Old 05-03-2004, 05:25 PM
Teching In

Damn... WHere were you guys when I spent a few months figuring this tranny mount out???

I welded one up. Still have the clutch bracket to go. Any one else trying to use the LS1 power steering pump with the C3 vette power steering? Mine seems WAY over sensative.

Ken
Old 05-03-2004, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think Jeff (70LS1) might be. I haven't had power steering in the car in about 8 years so I'm not going to go and add it now. I didn't want to cut the tranny crossmember, so I made the above bolt-in bracket. I'm in the middle of teh clutch bracket too. I keep getting sidetracked and doing other things like the radiator and fans, heater delete blockoff plate, mowing the lawn..... I just hate trying to lay inside the car, on my back, under the dash to get to the pedals. I've been trying to avoid it as much as possible. My plate is done, it just needs to be tweaked so the master can attach to the pedal.
-Matt
Old 05-04-2004, 09:10 AM
Teching In

Matt -

Tell me about it

I started restoring this car ten years ago. Looks like you moved your engine forward. I used the S&P plates and that put my mount bolts right on the vertical part of the crossmember. I'm happy with the results so far.

What throttle cable are you going to use? I bought a lokar one, but havent' got the body back on, yet.

Any chance of posting info about your clutch bracket? I bought the S&P one but it's going to need some mods...

Ken
Old 05-04-2004, 09:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

I started with Budman's template but had to change it since I don't have power brakes (the master mounts differently than the booster does). I can snap a picture if you want. It's nothing special... it's kinda ugly actually.

I bought the Lokar dipstick and throttle cable but haven't put them on yet. I think Buddy used the same cable and had to shorten it a little.

-Matt
Old 05-04-2004, 11:19 AM
Conversion master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am using the stock Camaro LS1 throttle cable with no problems. It is a little long, but works great.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Can someone email me the motor mounts ? I will be starting mine with an auto trans this summer. I get a new 2000 sq ft shop June 1 so the fun will begin then.
Old 05-08-2004, 12:35 PM
Teching In

I just bought the aluminum ones from Street and Performance for $90.

Ken
Old 05-12-2004, 07:24 PM
Teching In

I have plans to do the same to my '79. I was wondering, will the lighter weight of this engine mess up the steering geometry? Also, can the stock p/s pump be used and if not, does anyone know of a manual rack system that will work?
Old 05-12-2004, 10:05 PM
Launchin It!

I noticed the steering was a little quick with the L-98 style pump, but not to bad. I just rebuilt the power steering control valve and if necessary I will add an adjustable pressure valve to the high pressure side to slow it down. They sell them in the custom hot rod catalogs. It's basically just like the adjustable brake valves.

Matt is right about the clutch bracket, it fugly. At least you can't see it. The only problem I ran into is the throw of the pedal. I'm still about 1/2" from the floor, so I'm going to have to add a pedal stop. I thing an ajustable master would also solve this problem.
Old 05-21-2004, 07:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Budman78
I noticed the steering was a little quick with the L-98 style pump, but not to bad. I just rebuilt the power steering control valve and if necessary I will add an adjustable pressure valve to the high pressure side to slow it down. They sell them in the custom hot rod catalogs. It's basically just like the adjustable brake valves.

Matt is right about the clutch bracket, it fugly. At least you can't see it. The only problem I ran into is the throw of the pedal. I'm still about 1/2" from the floor, so I'm going to have to add a pedal stop. I thing an ajustable master would also solve this problem.
Thanks Budman

Quick Reply: LS1 into C3 Vette???