Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New "LT" engine series announced to replace the LS series

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 02:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by brewster240
direct injection wont need injector or pump upgrades as soon, and smog laws arent why diesels are less desirable.

uneducated consumer, and price are. both of those contribute to low sales of diesels in things other than fullsize trucks.
Ah, wish that were true. Look at the Volkswagen diesels. The European ones get detuned to come in here and companies like Mini won't (can't) import their 75 mpg diesel. Believe me, if they did I would own one. The EPA has a true hate for the NOX emissions, especially as the motors age. And if you look at everything Volks had to do to their TDI cars to get them approved in the US then you will realize it is the EDUCATED consumer that doesn't like the idea of paying extra for low sulfur diesel and uric acid to squirt into the exhaust pipe. Just look at the difference in laws between here and Europe and you will answer the question why there are so few American diesel cars. Trucks have different rules.

If you read a few articles on the new GM DI they are saying the HP pump is not good for much more HP than the factory is putting in them. Time will tell on that one.

And I hope spraying DI is a as simple as just adding a few more nozzles. But unless the DI pump can keep up than that means a separate fuel line in the intake. Will going back to an intake spray work well with the higher compression ratios and timing of the DI motors? I don't know, guess we will find out.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive spent the last 6 years working for bmw/mini, and the last 3 working at the north american headquarters.

they can bring what they want. they dont sell. think what you want.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 197 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdog7373
I don't see this heap of over-engineering being any better than the Ls. They should have just updated the Ls series again. This new design looks overly complicated for no real reason or benefit. Now we have to take the entire top of the engine off to change an injector? And now the injector will be triple the price!
I really hope this thing is really awesome, powerful, and reliable for at least 200k miles, or else it wouldn't be worth dropping the Ls.
Originally Posted by cruisin'73
This is exactly what people said when the LS engines came out! Huh, I guess history really is bound to repeat itself!

I bet in 6 years time, gen V swaps will be all the rage, and anyone rebuilding/swapping a lowly LS engine will be considered a caveman. Time will tell.
I agree, when the LS1 came out people were still swapping TPI's and LT1's, and, those were the ones who werm't scared of them, there were not nearly as many people doing EFI swaps as today, but look at it now. With the forums as popular as they are now, any info on how to make this new engine run better or fit into a car it wasn't designed for will spread like wild fire. As soon as I can get my hands on one of these I'd swap it into something, I ain't scared!!!
Old 10-27-2012, 09:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
You guys hating on carbs might want to hold off and see how expensive that direct injection is going to be to work on. Something tells me upgraded injectors will be a tad more expensive than current ones, and HP will be limited by the stock high pressure pump. Yes, the aftermarket will step in but what will that cost?

Anyone know what is involved with spraying a DI motor? Seems like it will be a bit more complicated.

You know the old saying, better is the enemy of good enough.

By the way, direct injection on gasoline motors has been around forever. That was part of the reason WWII German fighter aircraft did more with less. Aside from possibly the metallurgy and electronics most of these ideas are not even new let along high tech.

And don't blame GM for the lack of diesels. Write your congressman. Smog laws are what makes diesels less than desirable in the US.
yea, gonna have to upgrade those injectors... i mean... whats 100+ lb/hr gonna support anyway? like 400hp? pfft...

"The injectors, which feature 6 holes each and specially designed injector spray and droplet patterns, have a flow rate of 125.7 lbs/hr at 1,450 psi, and can be fed up to 2,175 psi from the 1.48 cc/rev geometric displacement fuel pump."
Old 10-27-2012, 10:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Seriously?

Apparently you ALL forgot:

GM likes to UNDERrate their engines. Anyone remember cars rated at 305hp hitting that at the rear wheels?

Guess what else?

They are WAY overpowered on both pumps and injectors, have to be for flex fuel. Tuning direct injection will be as simple as keystrokes unless you get SERIOUS.

We all know GM Powertrain are morons. Otherwise, no one else would use their tech...wait a sec... For real, there's ONE division of GM that has been world class through all the Obama administration and before and after, GM Powertrain.

For anything but nostalgia, you are a moron to put a carb and distributor on a modern engine.

Final word, they better NOT take cues from BMW on water pumps as a maintenance item. You never know, though, they USED to make refrigerators last 50 years...then they got wise.

FWIW, my CAM ONLY LS3 (spec'd by LMR) would get 26 MPG (real calc) on the highway and put down 465 through a shitty y pipe in a 98 Camaro weighing over 3800lbs wet, without me in it. The physics was there BEFORE direct injection and VVT, it's there even moreso now.

It's GOOD to be a car person now...

Last edited by jmilz28; 10-27-2012 at 11:07 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's good news when the only bad news is the name. I was expecting smaller displacement and exhaust manifolds cast into the heads like the v6.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:40 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,616 Likes on 2,214 Posts

Smaller displacement is coming. This is the first of many, many LT engines. This is the corvette engine, which by the way should be unveiled very soon, and they always underrate the Vette engine by 30 to 35 HP.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by jmilz28
Seriously?

Apparently you ALL forgot:

GM likes to UNDERrate their engines. Anyone remember cars rated at 305hp hitting that at the rear wheels?

Guess what else?

They are WAY overpowered on both pumps and injectors, have to be for flex fuel. Tuning direct injection will be as simple as keystrokes unless you get SERIOUS.

We all know GM Powertrain are morons. Otherwise, no one else would use their tech...wait a sec... For real, there's ONE division of GM that has been world class through all the Obama administration and before and after, GM Powertrain.

For anything but nostalgia, you are a moron to put a carb and distributor on a modern engine.

Final word, they better NOT take cues from BMW on water pumps as a maintenance item. You never know, though, they USED to make refrigerators last 50 years...then they got wise.

FWIW, my CAM ONLY LS3 (spec'd by LMR) would get 26 MPG (real calc) on the highway and put down 465 through a shitty y pipe in a 98 Camaro weighing over 3800lbs wet, without me in it. The physics was there BEFORE direct injection and VVT, it's there even moreso now.

It's GOOD to be a car person now...
gm even stated that its going to be "at least" 450/450. they were just general numbers. i would bet on 475-485hp/tq
Old 10-28-2012, 06:40 PM
Teching In

I want to put one in a 93-97 camaro, then tell people "it's just a cam-only LT-1 car..."
Old 10-28-2012, 07:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by formulan2o
I want to put one in a 93-97 camaro, then tell people "it's just a cam-only LT-1 car..."
Nope, no cam and tell them it a "stock" lt1...
Old 10-28-2012, 07:17 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 64 Likes on 36 Posts

They may have assigned the letters LT to that motor, but one look at the block and you know it is an LS.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Sounds angry as it should.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:07 PM
TECH Addict

And for the off-roaders ready for an LT1 buggy

Old 10-28-2012, 09:47 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,616 Likes on 2,214 Posts

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
And for the off-roaders ready for an LT1 buggy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvVK6...e_gdata_player
Props for the dry sump system.
Very cool dyno test cell btw.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 908 Likes on 648 Posts

This thread is full of fail.

Was there this much hate when the LS engine came out in 97? Or when they introduced the LT1 engine in 92? How did the 3rd gen guys cope?

Times are changing. Not everyone at GM is worried about if parts on their new engine will fit a 4th gen F-body.

The LS engine was one of the best things to ever come out of GM and they know that. Do you really think they are going to take step backwards from that?
Old 10-29-2012, 03:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 197 Likes on 143 Posts

Ten years from now some newbie is going to find this thread and be like...... really?!
Old 10-29-2012, 10:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
Ten years from now some newbie is going to find this thread and be like...... really?!
Word, im just gettin in to the LS thing and they want to do this lol. well all that means is the price on a LS3 will go down .
Old 10-29-2012, 10:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by darren roar
Word, im just gettin in to the LS thing and they want to do this lol. well all that means is the price on a LS3 will go down .
lol, I like your frame of mind!
Old 10-29-2012, 11:01 AM
TECH Addict

Some great video animations here. It appears they've also incorporated AFM

http://www.corvetteonline.com/news/g...inner-details/
Old 10-29-2012, 11:39 AM
TECH Addict

Noticing other differences here and there.

The 'vette accessory drive appears to place everything on one belt and on the passenger side.
Driver's side appears to have a mechanical provision, perhaps for PS / hydro pump?
Piston oil squirters
Knock sensors higher and closer to the rear side of the block
Dry sump
No offset rockers
No apparent reason for the humps in the valve covers (maybe for a different configuration of the Gen V?)???
2 piece intake manifold? Hard to tell from the animation

Quick Reply: New "LT" engine series announced to replace the LS series