Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1970 GTO LSX Conversion ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 06:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Contact Classic Auto Air, they can set you up with the correct compressor and rework your expansion valve to work with 134. They also had a great discount for the Kwik compressor bracket when I bought my universal system from them.
Btw, the corvette and f body are variable displacement. The angle of the swash plate is controlled internally by temp/pressure rather than simply cycling on/off. Most, if not all, earlier trucks use the fixrd displacement. I think the consensus is that the variable displacement compressors will work on a system designed for fixed, but at a lower efficiency.
If you're using setback plates, there's no way to use the original compressor mounting location without notching the crossmember.

Originally Posted by Orbitorange
Yeah that should work! Glad I got this figured out! I was being pretty **** about it because Im trying to keep the factory AC evap box also. Since vintage air doesnt make a kit for my GTO. Im gonna find an AC compressor thats serpentine driven and have custom made AC hoses.

Next issue is going to be wiring harness and pcm!

Last edited by garys 68; 11-02-2012 at 06:56 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:16 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by garys 68
Contact Classic Auto Air, they can set you up with the correct compressor and rework your expansion valve to work with 134. They also had a great discount for the Kwik compressor bracket when I bought my universal system from them.
Btw, the corvette and f body are variable displacement. The angle of the swash plate is controlled internally by temp/pressure rather than simply cycling on/off. Most, if not all, earlier trucks use the fixrd displacement. I think the consensus is that the variable displacement compressors will work on a system designed for fixed, but at a lower efficiency.
If you're using setback plates, there's no way to use the original compressor mounting location without notching the crossmember.
I was thinking about one of those kits that locates the compressor up higher on the pass side.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I'd check dirty dingo, holley or absolutely anyone else before I tried another kwik product. I'm sure there is a version on ebay for half this price by now but I was considering this - http://dirtydingo.com/store/product_...oducts_id=1393
Old 12-04-2012, 12:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice build and definitely some good information in this thread. We have the same build going right now other than my car is not an original AC car. I'm on track to have the engine/trans in their final home by the end of the month. Check out my thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...covered-2.html
Old 12-04-2012, 05:14 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks. I plan driving mine in a Christmas parade this Thursday and maybe one Saturday. Than thats it for my engine. I will start setting transmission and engine in very soon I hope. I still have to but some chevelle frame mounts. Ive read some of your thread. I like it!
Old 12-05-2012, 07:14 PM
On The Tree

Just thought I would share what I'm learning so far...haven't started the offical build thread yet.

I have a 70 Gto with was original with a 400 and turbo 400 trans with A/C.

I've got the l92 (LS3 intake/GT11 cam) sitting in the car with Fbody accessories and oil pan. I got the Alan Grove A/C mount and sanden 508 compressor mounted low on the passenger side. There is a T56 mounted to the motor.

With the Fbody pan in place with adequate clearance to the rear of the cross member my passenger head is approximately 0.75" from the firewall (which I have now fabricated a smooth panel and will use a Vintage Air hotrod kit). The tunnel was completely cut out to fit the t56. The sanden compressor hit the crossmember and needed to be cut 1.5"

Once I positioned the motor in this location with correct driveline angles we locked in the position with generic speedway poly weld-in motor/frame mounts.

If I was to do anything again I would have switched to the CTS-V oilpan as I believe I could have moved the motor forward enough to clear the A/C compressor and would probably have avoided cutting the crossmember and put the passenger head approx 1.75" from the firewall. I also might not have needed to cut the tunnel (or maybe just not as much).

I will also be starting to research the wiring/computer options. I have the stock l92harness/ecu and also a ls1 harness/ecu.

Hope this helps...goodluck.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Any updates on this build?

My build outline:
- 1970 GTO w/o factory AC
- 1999 LS1/4L60e
- 3/4" Eddelbrock setback plates
- Chevelle SBC/BBC non-307 mounts
- F-body accessories, not using the stock AC
- F-body oil pan
- Eddelbrock LT swap headers

A few points to mention based on my build:
- In order to run the f-body alternator, you HAVE to have at least 3/4" setback plates
- I had to "massage" my tunnel just a little for the 4L60e to fit comfortably
- I used the OEM yoke off the '99 Z28 and installed it on the TH400 driveshaft that was shortened 3 inches
- I can't comment on interference w/a factory AC box, but that wouldn't surprise me at all considering how far back the engine is.
- I ended up notching the frame to get a comfortable clearance with the oil pan.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by krwyellowZ28
Any updates on this build?

My build outline:
- 1970 GTO w/o factory AC
- 1999 LS1/4L60e
- 3/4" Eddelbrock setback plates
- Chevelle SBC/BBC non-307 mounts
- F-body accessories, not using the stock AC
- F-body oil pan
- Eddelbrock LT swap headers

A few points to mention based on my build:
- In order to run the f-body alternator, you HAVE to have at least 3/4" setback plates
- I had to "massage" my tunnel just a little for the 4L60e to fit comfortably
- I used the OEM yoke off the '99 Z28 and installed it on the TH400 driveshaft that was shortened 3 inches
- I can't comment on interference w/a factory AC box, but that wouldn't surprise me at all considering how far back the engine is.
- I ended up notching the frame to get a comfortable clearance with the oil pan.
I sold the setup for personal reasons. Maybe one day. Just not right now.

Quick Reply: 1970 GTO LSX Conversion ?'s