Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lq9/ls3 top end conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013 | 01:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by garys 68
If it's a black crank sensor, it's pre 07 24X reluctor motor. No conversion box needed for 99 ecu with LS3 heads and injectors.
Can anyone confirm this? I'm about to start on the wiring and am trying to choose an ECU.
Old 02-28-2013 | 04:44 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor
15 Year Member

That is correct. A black crank sensor is 24x There is no conversion box required. Keep in mind that if using the LS3 map sensor you will have to scale the pcm tables. If using an LS1 map sensor there is no scaling. Hope that helps.

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 01-07-2014 | 09:32 AM
On The Tree

How did this swap turn out?

Why are you using a 99+ fbody ECU as opposed to the factory lq9 harness?

Is it correct to say I want to find a 24x lq9 if I am planning a ls3 top end swap?

I am considering a lq9/ls3 top end swap into my 69 camaro. I would think the best route would be to purchase a complete junkyard lq9 from MAF to gas pedal.

Is there somewhere/some thread with more detailed information on the lq9/LS3 top end swap?

Thanks.
Old 01-07-2014 | 10:08 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Corey R.
How did this swap turn out?

Why are you using a 99+ fbody ECU as opposed to the factory lq9 harness?

Is it correct to say I want to find a 24x lq9 if I am planning a ls3 top end swap?

I am considering a lq9/ls3 top end swap into my 69 camaro. I would think the best route would be to purchase a complete junkyard lq9 from MAF to gas pedal.

Is there somewhere/some thread with more detailed information on the lq9/LS3 top end swap?

Thanks.
Well.... Still in the midst of the swap. The car was a complete wreck when I picked it up so I decided to completely strip everything and rework some of the body. Fuel cell, new brakes/lines, tubbing the front wheel wells, new suspension. Needless to say, progress has been slow.. but steady. I have completed the motor though. The combination I ended with was:
Lq9 bored .030
Unknown pistons (-4cc dish, came installed on the motor)
ARP rod bolts
TSP ported ls6 pump
TSP 233/239 113 lsa
Sikky mounts/oilpan
ls3 heads casting 821
.650 TSP dual valve spring kit
Factory ls3 intake

Still need to determine which throttle body I want but it will more than likely be cable driven.

As far as I can tell, (and forgive me but the body work is almost finished so my main focus will be wiring this thing up next) it seems like if you're doing this swap it is best to NOT use the f body harness and just go for a truck ecu and computer. I'm probably going to look for a harness from a truck that had an lq9 from the factory and then convert it from auto to manual and do the injector pigtails.

As far as looking for a complete lq9 from a junkyard.. I would honestly take that money, and look around for someone that has a long block that has been taken care of. I can't tell you how many local guys I see on CL that sell freshly machined blocks due to money problems (certainly don't wish any misfortune on anyone). Many people will start a project and end up calling it quits which with patience, can net you a good deal.

For reference, I would follow this guy's build page. Awesome truck, very detailed build and great pictures! I read this top to bottom one night and was my initial inspiration.

http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...ild-up-470269/
Old 01-07-2014 | 01:20 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for replying. Please update us as you make progress!

Quick Reply: lq9/ls3 top end conversion