Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2BFAST's 69 Camaro LS1/60E swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 04:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 159 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocketrod
Looking good! You are motivating me to work on my car! I did help a friend this weekend replace the upper control arm mounting bolts on his 69 Camaro.
lol

I told myself I need to keep on it or its gonna be one of those projects that just lingers on and on and on.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:14 PM
TECH Resident

ol' Ellis Juan met his new owner tonight

When I was bolting on the motor mounts to the block it had on the inside "top" but you could tell you could mount it two ways. So I bolted them on one way and set it in. Well they need flipped as it needs to be set back about an inch which is what it will give me when I flip them

It is just setting there with bolts ran through but I have a little tension on the chains. I will get it back out, flip the mounts and set it back in. Then fish the headers up and see how they are.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It looks like you have a ton of room between the firewall and engine but switch your chain for your hoist around. Put the back chain on the drivers head and the front chain on the passenger head. That passenger head sits further back and depending on how far you go back you may not be able to get the bolt out once the engine is in. It happened to me like that but it looks like my engine is a lot farther back. Watching this thread. Looks great.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that is one fricking clean garage. wish i had time to do my floor!
Old 01-22-2013, 07:19 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by kirk69nova
It looks like you have a ton of room between the firewall and engine but switch your chain for your hoist around. Put the back chain on the drivers head and the front chain on the passenger head. That passenger head sits further back and depending on how far you go back you may not be able to get the bolt out once the engine is in. It happened to me like that but it looks like my engine is a lot farther back. Watching this thread. Looks great.
Good point on the bolt. Thanks

And as I said above I need to flip the motor mounts so the engine will sit farther back.

Originally Posted by Fkns10
that is one fricking clean garage. wish i had time to do my floor!
Its called OCD! It gets cleaned quite often
Old 01-22-2013, 09:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Very nice progress keep it going, I pulled my headliner off my 67 Pontiac Lemans and it had the same nasty *** black/brown insulation on it. Most was rubbed off but there is still I guess the glue that held it up with some fuzz on it. I wish I could go with a formed headliner like in newer cars.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:15 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Capown
Very nice progress keep it going, I pulled my headliner off my 67 Pontiac Lemans and it had the same nasty *** black/brown insulation on it. Most was rubbed off but there is still I guess the glue that held it up with some fuzz on it. I wish I could go with a formed headliner like in newer cars.
Yeah it was def a WTF situation lol
Old 02-17-2013, 08:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Any updates?
Old 02-18-2013, 09:01 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Rocketrod
Any updates?
Soon

I will have some questions for the resto guys
Old 02-22-2013, 01:34 PM
Teching In

subscribed. I willl have a pretty identical setup only with a t56. your camaro is coming along great. I also bought the BRP rear shock relocation kit for the ls1 rear disc brake conversion. I am looking foward to any progress pics.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:56 PM
Launching!

nice car and great work so far. Man that engine is sitting way to far from your firewall. Also make sure you change those round mirrors.
Keep the pictures coming.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jorgezee1
subscribed. I willl have a pretty identical setup only with a t56. your camaro is coming along great. I also bought the BRP rear shock relocation kit for the ls1 rear disc brake conversion. I am looking foward to any progress pics.
Do you have info or pics on you're shock relocation kit? I plan to run LS1 rear brakes on this car and would like to look into this if needed. Thanks man

Originally Posted by sako
nice car and great work so far. Man that engine is sitting way to far from your firewall. Also make sure you change those round mirrors.
Keep the pictures coming.
Thank you. And as already stated I know the engine is sitting to far forward as the motor mounts have to be swapped. With that said, see below for updated pics. What mirrors are you thinking??
Old 02-22-2013, 07:11 PM
TECH Resident

As usual lately I have been lazy on progress. Few updated things

Got the motor mounts swapped and headers in. Everything fits like a glove specially the headers! Couldnt ask for a better fitment. Pretty excited about that. I will admit it is weird seeing 1 3/4 headers and I have always had 1 7/8. But this little LS1 with mild bolt ons I dont think would like 1 7/8 primaries. As you can see the motor is sitting about where it should and I like it. Lots of room above the trans and/or around it.

Now that all that is test fitted its time to pull it back out, take care of a few small things, and trailer it to the body shop. When there we will seperate the subframe and rear end and I will bring all that back home while they do their thing with the body and paint.

With that said, im at a crossroads with the firewall. I have a few questions for the guys that have been through this before.

1. Where did you run you're wiring harness through? Besides the factory bulkhead square hole just wondering.

2. I see there is a panel you can get where you can smooth the firewall and clean it up. But you have to relocate the wiper motor to the far drivers side and ect. I will be honest I dont plan to run wipers but I will have a motor there for looks or if its wanted later. The look of wipers annoys me and I havnt run them on any of my past projects. It wont be run in weather or anything so its not a big issue. I have seen guys relocate the motor to the far drivers side under the fender or leave it where its at but still smooth the firewall. Also I go back to the wiring harness location for the powertrain. With that panel where did you run the harness? I dont plan to run any heater core or HVAC system but will have the look as far as vents and such in the dash just to complete the look. I have also seen guys just smooth it the best as they can but not complete like the panel. Just wondering and discussion on it.

Here is a pic of the firewall and I think it had factory A/C.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Everything looks great. Can you lay a straight edge accross your collectors and let us know how far they hang below the subframe? It's hard to tell by the angle of your picture that shows the collectors under the car.

Good work, keep it coming.

Todd
Old 02-23-2013, 01:08 AM
Teching In

[QUOTE=2BFAST;17172170]Do you have info or pics on you're shock relocation kit? I plan to run LS1 rear brakes on this car and would like to look into this if needed. Thanks man

I'm still in the build stage myself and I have been gathering more info as I go. I started a thread a few months ago trying to get more info. I think I have everything I need to move forward. Also you can run the ls1 brakes without moving the shocks inboard if you use two left side ls1 assemblies. Your rear brakes will be staggered but it will work just fine. Here is a link it has a few pics as well as the PDF install.

http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=39055
Great updated pics.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:30 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Toddoky
Everything looks great. Can you lay a straight edge accross your collectors and let us know how far they hang below the subframe? It's hard to tell by the angle of your picture that shows the collectors under the car.

Good work, keep it coming.

Todd
Yes sir I will

[QUOTE=jorgezee1;17172933]
Originally Posted by 2BFAST
Do you have info or pics on you're shock relocation kit? I plan to run LS1 rear brakes on this car and would like to look into this if needed. Thanks man

I'm still in the build stage myself and I have been gathering more info as I go. I started a thread a few months ago trying to get more info. I think I have everything I need to move forward. Also you can run the ls1 brakes without moving the shocks inboard if you use two left side ls1 assemblies. Your rear brakes will be staggered but it will work just fine. Here is a link it has a few pics as well as the PDF install.

http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=39055
Great updated pics.
Thanks I will check it out. If you get any more useful info PM me!
Old 02-24-2013, 10:49 AM
Staging Lane

Nice build. Looking forward to more updates
Old 02-25-2013, 08:43 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by six2eight
Nice build. Looking forward to more updates
thank you
Old 02-25-2013, 09:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Wow, awesome build.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:37 PM
TECH Resident

I have the car stripped down to a decent starting point for the boys doing the bright work. But I have decided I want to clean up the firewall while in the line of fire.

As you can see from the picture below it looks like the car came factory with A/C and has a hole cut through for the factory wiring as well as the HVAC box

I have researched quite a bit on this and found you can either "make" your own or buy a panel from various venders. As you can see from the pic above I dont want to smooth everything but mainly the right side. This is the reason why. I dont plan to run any HVAC function at all for awhile. Im sure most will say "well what if you need defrost and yadi yada" Well my previous hot rods I never had to have any HVAC when I had it out so why should I need it with this. Right now I would like to put the funds for HVAC where is needed right now. I will still retain the factory look in the dash. With that said, from what I have seen Vintage Air makes a kick *** kit you can add to it later. So by the time if I might want it I wont mind taking the dash apart and other acessories to install it. If that even happens.

Rod your thread on TeamCamaro is great to follow. What wiper motor did you use?

I plan to smooth from the wiper motor over and thats it. I dont want to eliminate the facotory body tag or the "X" in the drivers firewall panel.

This link from DSE is a decent panel the follows the factory seam from what I see

http://www.detroitspeed.com/1967-196...-fll-plte.html

It doesnt eliminate the blower motor hole like the link in your thread Rod but looks decent.

Just stirring up discussion on this. Lets talk

Thanks

Quick Reply: 2BFAST's 69 Camaro LS1/60E swap