Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2BFAST's 69 Camaro LS1/60E swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 01:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 163 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by 69 Ghost
I have the brp setup and I am going to be pulling the motor some time down the road to replace the pan. Look at the holley pan for that type of mount. Nice thing is you can keep the stock compressor location.
Will not be running a/c
Old 11-22-2012, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The ctsv pan will fit and it will barely hang below the crossmember about an inch but it will also depend on your mounts n setback plates.
Fbody will fit but must use the 1" setback plates.
I've tested both pans. I think that lh8 pan hangs more than the v about an 1" + -

Also are you doing an RS headlamp conversion? How much n where are you getting your parts from? I'd like to do mine also.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great man, very clean job. Looking forward to seeing more progress.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:44 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS1 pwrd NOVA
The ctsv pan will fit and it will barely hang below the crossmember about an inch but it will also depend on your mounts n setback plates.
I've tested both pans. I think that lh8 pan hangs more than the v about an 1" + -

Also are you doing an RS headlamp conversion? How much n where are you getting your parts from? I'd like to do mine also.
I am but I havnt decided who I want to get it from yet.I have quite a bit to do before I get to that point lol. I believe all the big classic parts places offer it. Instead of vacuum its electric and I think its close to $700 - $1k for the kit but I could be off on that figure give or take. Def worth it to me
Old 11-23-2012, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I saw it for around $1400 shipped when I pulled up a google search.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:07 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS1 pwrd NOVA
I saw it for around $1400 shipped when I pulled up a google search.

Yeah, it was something of the sort I thought. Even at that is worth it to me. IMHO
Old 11-23-2012, 12:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was going to go the RS conversion route years ago and $1400sh range sounds about right, which includedd buying the factory conversion setup and the DSE Electric RS Headlight Door Kit. With a 20% off coupon from Classic Industries you might be able to save a few bucks.

I may also have some instructions for a DIY RS conversion that it a little cheaper. If I can find it I will send them your way.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:14 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks Rod

Have you heard of Firewheel Classics? They are out of Wylie, TX (N.E Dallas) and they specialize in 1st gen Camaros. Iv actually been there as they are down the street from a good friend of mines house. They offer an electric RS conversion kit

http://www.firewheelclassics.com/sto...D=&SKU=RS69KIT
Old 12-06-2012, 04:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2BFAST
Thanks Rod

Have you heard of Firewheel Classics? They are out of Wylie, TX (N.E Dallas) and they specialize in 1st gen Camaros. Iv actually been there as they are down the street from a good friend of mines house. They offer an electric RS conversion kit

http://www.firewheelclassics.com/sto...D=&SKU=RS69KIT
I have heard of them, but I have never ordered from them. That seems like a pretty complete kit. I would shop around and see if Classic Industries or National Parts Depot and see if they are offer the same with a Holiday discount.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:26 PM
TECH Resident

Havnt had much time to spend on the car with the holidays and all the family hoopla but got a little done the past couple days. But not much.

Got the core support, wiring, wipers, wiper cowel, ect off.

With the wiper cowl off, the quality of the older "restoration" is showing its head. The orginal color still shows.

While removing the chassis harness its apparent its original. But to me it has seen its better days and tapped into a few times. Instead of possibly fighting gremlins when the car is back together im gonna replace it with new. Im gonna have better things to think and worry about than why this or that light isnt working

Hard to tell but a little corrosion in the bulkhead connector

Got the door panels off and seats ect out. Found someone had installed electric door locks. Rather jimmy rigged electric door locks. Wires were cut and left inside the door.

So far the "restoration" has been shawty so far but not that bad. It was time to peel back the carpet and heres what I found.

Solid floors! I wasnt expecting holes in the floor but after what I have seen so far you never know.

Took out the rear seats and found whoever did the interior covered the original padding in the tweed. The frames are gonna be stripped, painted, and covered in all new. Damn at least they could of painted the frame!

This thread has kinda turned into a restoration thread rather than an LS swap thread but the more I tear into this car the more I HAVE to do. My OCD comes out and I cant put it back together knowing I could of upgraded or made something better.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey Brian - I sure you are, but make sure you take a ton of pics and bag & tag stuff as you take it apart. It will save you all sort of headaches down the road!!
So far the car looks solid, which will make things go a lot faster and cheaper! So how do you plan on stripping the floorpans (interior & exterior) down to bare metal and what are your plans for them (paint, por-15, etc)? I had the underside blasted and wire wheeled the interior & covered everything with por-15. Por-15 is good stuff, but I think I would opt for a single stage paint next time.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:35 AM
TECH Resident

I have been taking plenty of pics.

I am not sure what I will coat the inside and underside with. I guess I havnt got that far in the process yet lol. I have seen and read a lot about Por-15. Once I get around to getting the body stripped down, motor & trans fit, and ready to head to the body shop I will get a game plan together.

The car should of been ready for all that already in my opnion but I have been lazy.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anybody tried the CTSV pan with the BRP Mounts or have any pics with the pan in the first gen? I was looking at that pan as a replacement but did not think it would clear the steering linkage. Either way to not use the LH8 pan it does hang low enclosed is a pic showing how low the pan sits with the BRP setup along with the Stainless Works headers hitting the idler arm.

As for not using the A/C I am not sure if you know it but the car did have factory A/C. I am going to replace my Vintage with a factory hybrid by next summer. Nothing wrong with the Vintage other than control of the vents sucks and it will not cool anything like a factory A/C unit.
Attached Thumbnails 2BFAST's 69 Camaro LS1/60E swap-headerspass6.jpg  
Old 01-07-2013, 12:16 PM
TECH Resident

Im getting ready to set the engine/trans in and see how it all looks. Then we'll see.

And a/c car or not, im still not running a/c as I do not see it as a need. I would rather use the extra money for heads and performance parts rather than a/c.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:37 PM
TECH Resident

Kept going on the interior tonight

Started to pull the headliner down and got dusted with a bunch of crap

Still not sure what the BS is that fell out and not sure whats up with the roof and what is on it but its gotta go.

Found when removing the A-Pillars the orginal A-Pillars were covered in the nasty tweed. Remember this was a Cortez Silver with dark blue vinyl interior.

There was old school dynamat put down which only collected moisture which is obvious. It is just surface rust so it just needs cleaning. Still not sure what I am going to do. Paint or Por-15.

Once I got the "carpet" up I seen this. After this I kinda stopped for the night. Not sure what its gonna bring.......lol

Im still cursing whoever put this car together. C'MON MAN!!!!!! Damn
Old 01-09-2013, 01:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the same boat as you... wanting to focus on the LS swap but having to work on the restoration at the same time, I don't even want to begin on my interior I know it's a nightmare. But in the end it all should be worth it.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:33 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BlackLS1Camaro
I'm in the same boat as you... wanting to focus on the LS swap but having to work on the restoration at the same time, I don't even want to begin on my interior I know it's a nightmare. But in the end it all should be worth it.
Do it once!
Old 01-13-2013, 07:48 PM
TECH Resident

Had a little time and decided to tackle the rats nest under the dash. What a fvcking mess! Between the 40 year + old wiring harness, the splicing, scotch locking, and added wiring for the previous "stereo" it was interesting. It also has to go. To me its just not worth the hassle messing with something that old, let alone that has been hacked into over the years. Its a disaster waiting to happen. The only harness worth saving is the tailight harness which is it looks pretty nice. Just need to cover it in new loom or something of the sort.

Proceded to remove the entire HVAC system and anything of the sort. Also scraped up te old Dynamat from the floor.

Next to get the car up on jackstands and get the rest of the exhaust, fuel lines, fuel tank, ect out from under it. Remove the factory trans x member and install the one from BRP. Get the BRP motor mounts bolts on and in and set the motor/trans in and see how she fits.

Last edited by 2BFAST; 01-13-2013 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:00 PM
TECH Resident

Double post
Old 01-13-2013, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looking good! You are motivating me to work on my car! I did help a friend this weekend replace the upper control arm mounting bolts on his 69 Camaro.

Quick Reply: 2BFAST's 69 Camaro LS1/60E swap