Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1967 Pontiac Tempest (A body) LS1 Swap UPDATED W/VIDEO

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013 | 12:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Any pics of your core support mods or what you had to do to get the rad and fans to fit? I put my fbody radiator upto mine and it was pretty far from fitting.
Old 02-25-2013 | 12:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Capown
Any pics of your core support mods or what you had to do to get the rad and fans to fit? I put my fbody radiator upto mine and it was pretty far from fitting.
I'll get you some pictures this evening, but basically I cut the entire core out right at the frame rails. The bottom support piece fits the fbody radiator perfect so I placed it in with something temporary to hold it and I then tack welded that bottom support in place. Pulled radiator out and then welded the support piece in place. I then fabricated a piece to hold the top of the radiator in. I used some sheet metal i had laying around, cut it, shaped it and then painted it once it was all done.
Old 02-25-2013 | 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds cool look forward to seeing pics.
Old 03-13-2013 | 04:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Any pics on the Core Support?? Also have you been able to get any numbers or times yet? Im looking into the MS4 cam and was wondering how it did and if I should do the 111 or 112 LSA.
Old 03-13-2013 | 05:10 PM
On The Tree

Any pics on the Core Support?? Also have you been able to get any numbers or times yet? Im looking into the MS4 cam and was wondering how it did and if I should do the 111 or 112 LSA.
Sorry Cap, I totally spaced this one. We just had a baby on the 28th and everything has been crazy. I'll get a shot to you today when I get home.

No times yet, I just put a new rear end in the car with 3.73's and an eaton posi, all new rear suspension too (eibachs/koni's and new boxed upper/lower control arms). My friend is installing my new front suspension and discs this sunday for me. Then I'll feel confident pushing this car. Right now the front brakes are super weak and scares me its so fast. No regrets on the MS4 though, with the 3.73's it woke that thing up big time
Old 03-14-2013 | 10:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Kick *** Bro congrats on the Baby!!! Mines just turning 17months he's the best thing ever!! Enjoy it he's my only one so far and damn he's growing fast!
Old 03-14-2013 | 05:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast
10 Year Member

Which lower radiator hose did you use?
Old 03-16-2013 | 10:07 AM
On The Tree

Not my most beautiful fabrication ever, but it works great. I plan on re-doing the lower support, but it is solid as hell I can stand on it (I weight 215 lbs).or

I cut out the lower support, beat on it to flatten it out, and then welded it to the underside of the frame.

Originally Posted by Tramminc
Which lower radiator hose did you use?
I'm using stock Camaro upper and lower hoses. I fit my radiator (came out of a 2001 Camaro) in place using them.
Attached Thumbnails 1967 Pontiac Tempest (A body) LS1 Swap UPDATED W/VIDEO-photo-5.jpg   1967 Pontiac Tempest (A body) LS1 Swap UPDATED W/VIDEO-photo-2.jpg   1967 Pontiac Tempest (A body) LS1 Swap UPDATED W/VIDEO-photo-3.jpg   1967 Pontiac Tempest (A body) LS1 Swap UPDATED W/VIDEO-photo-4.jpg  
Old 03-27-2013 | 08:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sorry it took soo long for me to reply thanks for the pics! So did you cut the stock support and bend the ends up, to make the center higher??
Old 03-28-2013 | 09:35 AM
On The Tree

sorry it took soo long for me to reply thanks for the pics! So did you cut the stock support and bend the ends up, to make the center higher??
I used the stock lower support and bent the ends to flatten it out. The support needed to be lowered by about 4-5" from its stock location. So it ended up being welded to the bottom of the frame rails.
Old 06-04-2013 | 12:03 AM
On The Tree

Got to run the car a few times at a local nostalgic drag. Loved seeing people's faces when I popped that hood and the LS1 is sitting there. Lol.

Quick Reply: 1967 Pontiac Tempest (A body) LS1 Swap UPDATED W/VIDEO