Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dbw or dbc

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 10:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Dbw or dbc

Im new to these motors. I'm not sure what rout to go. For simplicity and cost. Dbw or bdc. I got a 2004 lq4 with l92 heads and ls3 intake. I have the stock computer that came with motor that was dbw. But I don't have the gas pedal.
I'm about to order my new stand alone harness. And re flash my computer. I was thinking that dbc would be easier to do. What do you guys think or recomend.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Which ecu are you using. Some dont even have the capability to run cable (no IAC driver). You can check over at LT1swap for info on identifying which can drive cable.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:54 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Odds are with a 04 pcm it won't have the unit to support the stepper motor for dbc.
I honestly belive it depends on the swap
Is it gonna be a nice daily? If so I like dbw would be great because of the cruise control capability.
If it will be a built car that you will want solid throttle responce and simplicity? Dbc is simple and feels a bit more responcive.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have the PCM and TB use the DBW. Just get a matching pedal and TAC and harness for that year truck. I used them in my Chevelle and I am very happy. I think it was easier to install than changing all the **** and finding a cable op TB. I think you have to buy an aftermarket TB for the intake you are using if you go with cable any way.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 99VetteFRC
If you have the PCM and TB use the DBW. Just get a matching pedal and TAC and harness for that year truck. I used them in my Chevelle and I am very happy. I think it was easier to install than changing all the **** and finding a cable op TB. I think you have to buy an aftermarket TB for the intake you are using if you go with cable any way.
i dont have the tb yet. so no matter what. i still have to get a tb that fits a ls3 intake. i already have the computer that came with the motor. thats why i want to find out what would be easier to do. stay with the wire and get a pedal. or switch over to cable and maybe get a new computer that works with dbc if my computer doesnt work with the conversion.
and would the tac and map sensor off my lq4 truck intake work on the ls3 intake?
Old 12-26-2012, 04:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by olespanky
Odds are with a 04 pcm it won't have the unit to support the stepper motor for dbc.
I honestly belive it depends on the swap
Is it gonna be a nice daily? If so I like dbw would be great because of the cruise control capability.
If it will be a built car that you will want solid throttle responce and simplicity? Dbc is simple and feels a bit more responcive.
its not going to be a daily driver. but i am going to be driving it allot. so throttle responce isnt a big deal. since im not going to be drag racing it and cruise control isnt a big deal ether. its going into a 63 nova wagon. and i wouldnt even know how to make that work on a stock steering colume. i just want to make it a simple install. and i dont want to buy something twice. i just want a clean and less of a pain to install.

so if my pcm doesnt suport a dbc. i should stay with dbw set up?
Old 12-26-2012, 08:23 PM
Staging Lane

I would
Old 12-27-2012, 12:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Still need to know which ecu you have.
Also, you have another problem. The 04 came with a 3 bolt TB, the LS3 is a 4 bolt. You'll need and aftermarket cable 4 bolt TB even if the ecu supports cable (never was a cable 4 bolt GM TB).
Or use a 3 to 4 bolt adapter with a GM 3 bolt cable or DBW TB.
Or use an adpter harness for a 4 bolt DBW TB (Speartech has these, I think).
Or use a 24x LS2 ecu, harness, pedal, and 4 bolt DBW TB (on some 05-06 vehicles).
Old 12-27-2012, 10:59 AM
Staging Lane

I have a blue and gree computer serv. 12586242 - serv. 12583660. Can this computer be modified to work for dbc?
And should I stay with a stock tb. Or go for a bigger after market tb?
Old 12-27-2012, 11:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Doesn't look like it. Might open it up to check.
http://www.lt1swap.com/cable_conversion.htm
Not sure how much restrictive the stock 3 bolt truck TB would be on an LS3 intake, but the adapters are probably the cheapest route.

Originally Posted by duggravs
I have a blue and gree computer serv. 12586242 - serv. 12583660. Can this computer be modified to work for dbc?
And should I stay with a stock tb. Or go for a bigger after market tb?
Old 12-27-2012, 11:52 AM
Staging Lane

I'm not planning on using the stock truck tb. I was thinking of a stock ls3 tb or an after market tb.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:12 PM
Staging Lane

I'm pretty sure That pcm won't support the stepper motor
Old 12-28-2012, 12:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Check with speartech, they might have an adaper for an 03-07 3 bolt 78mm truck TB to a 4 bolt 90mm LS2 TB.
But if not, and you dont have a harness, TAC, or pedal, you might consider going with a new cable ecu/harness and aftermarket cable TB, or a 24x LS2 ecu/harness/DBW TB. Check with PSI conversions for these options, they had some pretty good prices on harnesses.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:03 PM
Staging Lane

I called techrods yesterday. He gave me lots of info that i didnt know. He told me that I needed to get a gas pedal and tac module from the same year as my computer 2004. he recommends me to get everything I need before I order my harness.
So if that's the case. Instead of searching for the pedal and tac. Wouldn't it be better to go dbc and just get a new computer and everything I need?
Old 12-28-2012, 03:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Even if you get the 04 TAC and pedal, did they say they could make it work on a 90mm 4 bolt DBW TB?
Like I pointed out in the above post, there are several ways to do it. Cable TB and new ecu/harness is one of them.

Last edited by garys 68; 12-28-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by garys 68
Even if you get the 04 TAC and pedal, did they say they could make it work on a 90mm 4 bolt DBW TB?
Like I pointed out in the above post, there are several ways to do it. Cable TB and new ecu/harness is one of them.

i called psi. they said it would be about the same price to do both dbw and dbc. and that dbc would be easier to do. he also recommended me to get the 90mm edelbrock throttle body instead of a stock one. and he also said that they didnt have a adapter for a 3 bolt truck tb to a 4 bolt ls3 tb.
im going to try to save some money. try to do the stand alone harness my self. with the stock truck harness.
is their anything special i should look for when cutting into my harness to make it work with the ls3 stuff?
im assuming this is the schematic is should be fallowing http://www.lt1swap.com/2004vortec_pcm.htm right?
Old 12-28-2012, 05:28 PM
Staging Lane

I have a dbw ecu,tac,and pedal from a 04 silverado. If your interested shoot me a pm
Old 12-28-2012, 09:51 PM
Teching In

Dbc is the way to go as far as reliability and simplicity and for a peace of mind and that's just my opinion.... Had Dbw and it was good until one day you are driving along on the interstate and lose throttle response and engine is just idling and you can barely merge out of the left lane to the right in rush hour traffic all components were new when installed. Rechecked all the wiring and components and they were fine... Problem was intermittent and you know when it would occur... So we converted it to Dbc and never had any problems since . 8 years and counting since conversion was done
Old 12-28-2012, 11:40 PM
Staging Lane

I understand that more wiring may cause more issues.
But things break all the time its a part.
I have seen a ton of dbw swaps that have went thousands of miles with no issues.
You can't say its better like I said before its all opinion it depends on what your doing with the car
Old 12-29-2012, 06:41 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Keep in mind that if you are going with the LS3 throttle body (DBW) it will not work with the 2004 Vortec TAC Module, Pedal or Tune. You need to use the Corvette stuff. That being the case I believe it is more cost effective to run an aftermarket DBC throttle body. I know you can buy an adapter for the LS3 intake to use a Camaro throttle body, but why both necking it down? Hope that helps.

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'

Quick Reply: Dbw or dbc