Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Budget 5.3 Fox swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 01:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Yes, that is the pan I was talking about. Sorry it won't work for you. The pan looks like it will fit quite a few things but it doesn't. The Holley pan would be an alternative, but at $400 for the pan alone (no dipstick or gasket) it's a bit of a rip off if a factory one will work.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jfisher
Good to know! Do you have shorties or longtubes?
Sorry it took so long to reply, they are Mac Long Tubes. They both hit on the floor board where it starts coming up to the Firewall with the collectors. The driver sides hits the steering shaft right when it comes out of the firewall. Im thinking all the primaries will have to be extended, and on the driver side the number 7 tube will have to be either tucked in more or go out around the shaft.

I slipped the driver side in and pushed it back as far as it would go. The header is off almost one full port off where it hits the shaft.

This is with the passanger side bolted to head just not 100% any tighter and I was affraid of maybe stripping a bolt hole.

Last edited by Capown; 01-08-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Can you just move the motor mounts so the headers fit? Or are you running one of the k member kits?
Old 01-08-2013, 07:08 PM
Launching!

CTS-v pan is the way to go...i got mine brand new with bolts, gasket, pickup tube and windage tray for $240 shipped
Old 01-08-2013, 07:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jfisher
At this point I'm thinking either CTS-V or having this one modified. Don't gain enough clearance using the GM hot rod pan. Car is just so damn low. Probably just be cheapest to have Rob modify this pan. The CTS-V pan is only $134, but I'm not sure what other parts are needed to swap to that pan. Might make it non-cost effective.

Here are part numbers for the CTS-V pan from this thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...x-mustang.html

He said "I went with the CTS-V pan, with the AJE k-member it fits beautifully. I got the pan, the pickup tube, the dipstick, and the dipstick tube for $205.55 from partstaxi.com, all brand new OEM GM parts. The windage tray from the truck motors is the same as the CTS so that is not needed."

12631828 - CTS-V Pan, Gasket, and bolts

12621299 - CTS-V Pickup tube/screen

12584738 - CTS-V Dipstick Tube

12584737 - CTS-V Dipstick
Old 01-08-2013, 08:43 PM

Will you be keeping the stock mustang gauges?
Old 01-08-2013, 09:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by usdmholden
Can you just move the motor mounts so the headers fit? Or are you running one of the k member kits?
Nope can't move it unless I make a adjuster or move the the tabs on the Plate that bolts to the block. Im running a AJE setup with CTS V pan also. The engine fits awesome so does the oil pan. It maybe hangs about 1/2-3/4" below K-member.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
Yes, that is the pan I was talking about. Sorry it won't work for you. The pan looks like it will fit quite a few things but it doesn't. The Holley pan would be an alternative, but at $400 for the pan alone (no dipstick or gasket) it's a bit of a rip off if a factory one will work.
It would work, just not worth it for the minimal clearance I would gain. Think I only gain .75" or close to that.

Originally Posted by Capown
Sorry it took so long to reply, they are Mac Long Tubes. They both hit on the floor board where it starts coming up to the Firewall with the collectors. The driver sides hits the steering shaft right when it comes out of the firewall. Im thinking all the primaries will have to be extended, and on the driver side the number 7 tube will have to be either tucked in more or go out around the shaft.

I slipped the driver side in and pushed it back as far as it would go. The header is off almost one full port off where it hits the shaft.

This is with the passanger side bolted to head just not 100% any tighter and I was affraid of maybe stripping a bolt hole.
Appreciate the pics! Wow, looks like those hit everywhere. I think I may start with some 2010+ stock manifolds to get the car going.

Originally Posted by TxFireman1972
Here are part numbers for the CTS-V pan from this thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...x-mustang.html

He said "I went with the CTS-V pan, with the AJE k-member it fits beautifully. I got the pan, the pickup tube, the dipstick, and the dipstick tube for $205.55 from partstaxi.com, all brand new OEM GM parts. The windage tray from the truck motors is the same as the CTS so that is not needed."

12631828 - CTS-V Pan, Gasket, and bolts

12621299 - CTS-V Pickup tube/screen

12584738 - CTS-V Dipstick Tube

12584737 - CTS-V Dipstick
Nice!! This is definitely looking like the best option right now.

Originally Posted by Jimbo4259
Will you be keeping the stock mustang gauges?
Was going to wait to post since I'm still waiting on two more pieces, but I'm using an MC Machine gauge plate with all Autometer Nexus gauges. Still waiting on the plate itself and the speedo. Both should be arriving today. This guy is running the exact setup:

Old 01-14-2013, 07:21 AM
Staging Lane

Waiting for the speedo to show up, but almost have the cluster ready to install. I questioned the cost of the MC Machine gauge plate at first, but now that I see what goes into it I honestly think it is well worth the price tag. The plate is much thicker than I thought it was and there are a ton of little details that go into this thing. Not to mention the turn signal, e brake, etc wiring that is included and already done up very cleanly:

Have the matching wideband as well. Thinking about going ahead and ordering a boost and trans temp gauge as I believe this series is being discontinued
Old 02-12-2013, 03:40 PM
Staging Lane

Have a couple questions. What are you guys running for the below parts that have done this swap?

-Starter
-Steam Port setups
-Tensioner (keeping truck accessory setup)

I think at this point this is the alt bracket I'm going to end up buying:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-1999-200...29a348&vxp=mtr

Still need to find an alternator as well. Would like to get one of the high output 145 amp units. Any years better than others or better fit with the Holley HP harness?
Old 02-25-2013, 09:54 AM
Staging Lane

Slight change of plans. Went and picked up a 96' 4L80 last night with supposedly 92k miles. Fluid look and smelled good so I went ahead and bought it. I think I'm going to run the Jakes standalone manual controller and a Transgo HD2 kit. I don't want to have to disassemble the trans as far as the Jake's kit requires and at this time I'm going to try and run the trans as is. Should have A LOT less in this setup than the 5 speed setup I was wanting.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:07 PM
Staging Lane

Another small change. Found an L33 on car-part.com with 104k for a good price in Louisville last week and went and picked it up friday. Already sold the LM4 so it all worked out nicely.

Gauges are almost done. Just need to find the matching boost gauge:

Bought a CTS V pan setup off of Mike93SVT on here and that should be arriving today. I bought some Napa Mac's Aluminum Bright and am going to give the engine a good cleaning.

I also got the starter and a 140amp alternator with the engine so that part is good to go. I also have decided on the Katech truck tensioner.

Just need to figure out what converter to go with and find a stock truck flexplate.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man I love that MC Machine plate. I talked to him a while back and he had some more coming in. I love how he incorporates all the turn signals and stuff like that.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:52 AM
Staging Lane

Worked on the gauges a little bit last night. Got them all mounted in with the plastic cups and started really reading through the instructions. I really think it should be fairly simple. All of the gauges have their own mini harnesses that allow each gauge to be plugged in series together. The water temp and oil pressure gauges have their own sensors so those will be very easy. The rest I'll have to tap into either the car harness or compatible sources. The last gauge I think then plugs into the control box and the control box is what will provide the power, ground and 12v switched sources:

My converter also showed up:

I'm sending back the Team Z motor mount kit and I ordered up some AJE mounts off of LS1tech. The Team Z's are a really jank set of mounts for $90 IMO as they just bolt together. The AJE's are at least one piece mounts and are coated. As soon as I receive those in I'm going to testfit the motor and trans again and check pan clearance.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:14 PM
On The Tree

Cool project! Any more progress? The only thing I don't like about the aje motor mounts is that you can only run 6 out of the 8 bolts.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:17 PM
9 Second Club

nice build
Old 09-19-2013, 09:01 AM
Teching In

By chance did you get your L33 from Blue Lick truck and van parts? Thats where I got mine from. Had a big inventory of 4.8-6.0 engines for good prices.

Quick Reply: Another Budget 5.3 Fox swap