Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

70 Chevelle LS1 T56 build

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 06:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Roll the car outside a ways and back in the shop. You might be surprised how far it will settle.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah, that needs to come down three inches or so in the front and at least two in the back. Not a huge job though all things considered.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:33 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I plane to try to do my first start tonight is there a checklist out there i can go over? I have turn the key last week and had fuel leaks and I think I have them resolved. It turned over fine last time but no hint of firing do you need to bleed the fuel lines?
Old 02-20-2013, 06:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Is it a returnless system? You said you had fuel leaks. Were these at the rail?
Old 02-20-2013, 06:13 PM
Staging Lane

Here is where I am at now. Tried to start again tonight but not firing at all.
I checked for codes but there was no codes to be found. I checked to see if there was spark. No spark. Spark plugs are dry. Checked to see if the injectors where getting power when key was on and nothing. All the fuses are good. Now what should I check????? Bill at BP Automotive has been giving me advice but I hate to keep on bothering him. BP Automotive did not supply my harness but now I wish I went to him first. I will learn from my mistakes.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by oldgoat69
Is it a returnless system? You said you had fuel leaks. Were these at the rail?
Yes, I have had leaks at the rails. Now after learning more it looks like I have an electrical issue.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you switch the ignition to the run position do you see voltage at the pink wires in your harness?
Old 02-21-2013, 07:19 PM
Staging Lane

It's Alive!!!!! The Chevelle started tonight for the first time. I just let it run for a few seconds. I will start it again when I have a few friends around to monitor everything and do a video of it running.
The problem with it not starting was the voltage on the computer was not there when it was in crank position.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:01 PM
On The Tree

Congratulations!!
Old 02-23-2013, 06:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Awesome, it is always a big thrill when you first fire them up. Now for the first drive!
Old 02-24-2013, 06:54 PM
Staging Lane

The car is running but not real well. I have two code faults PO171 bank 1 system to lean and PO174 bank 2 system to lean. I checked fuel pressure and I have 51 psi. Cleaned the mass airflow sensor and checked for vacuum leaks. All looks good but I still do not have the exhaust connected and running open headers. Could this cause the motor to run lean?
Old 02-24-2013, 08:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"All looks good but I still do not have the exhaust connected and running open headers. Could this cause the motor to run lean?"

I take it the O2 sensors are in the headers. Generally with open headers like that and the O2 sensors that close to the atmosphere extra oxygen gets to the O2 sensors and causes a rich condition. The ECM sees that as not enough fuel because of the extra oxygen and tries to fatten things up. No matter what that is a problem. You need to add some exhaust pipe.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

I agree, addition of the exhaust system should solve the DTC's.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:13 PM
Staging Lane

I have the exhaust installed and I am getting a bank 1 to lean now. It is just running sick. It sound like it needs to clear it's throat. Any suggestions?
Old 02-26-2013, 06:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

How long did the engine sit before you were able to fire it? You may have stuck/plugged injectors. There are several threads referring to the issue. A common remedy is to boil then injectors in a pan on the stove. I have not tried this, but it seems to be an answer.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by oldgoat69
How long did the engine sit before you were able to fire it? You may have stuck/plugged injectors. There are several threads referring to the issue. A common remedy is to boil then injectors in a pan on the stove. I have not tried this, but it seems to be an answer.
The engine sat for 2 years. Is stuck plugged stuck injectors a common problem? Would I get any other fault codes if this is happening?
Thanks Oldgoat69 for the input, I will try boiling them this week end if I don't come across any other issues.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Search the threads for the issue. It is more common than you first think. I took a precautionary step and had mine ultrasonic cleaned and blueprinted on an ASNU machine.
I think this is an expense well worth the cost, more so in a boosted applicatoin.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:45 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by alaninin
I need some help on A/C fittings. Does anyone know what fittings goes to the pics I have attached? I need part numbers and where to order. Thanks for any help.
Great looking car and build. Sometimes I wish I would have started with a cleaner car like you did, my build is going on a year and a half now.

I don't know if you have your ac fittings figured out yet, but I spent several hours recently researching the same subject (I am putting an ac system from an 04 GTO in my 71 Lemans) and came across EZ-Clip fittings by Aeroquip. One of the things that appealed to me about them was they were easy for a home builder, the only special tool required is a pliers for the clips. Go to the Aeroquip website for info on the fittings and pliers, you can order from there also. You do have to use their hose but they sell it by the foot. Aeroquip sells the pliers for $50, but I found pliers and some of the fittings I needed for $5 each, search for seller askacss2012. He now has the pliers for $13.50, still a great deal. I had some similar situations as the two connections you show in post #20, I used the Aeroquip fittings at these locations, I just cut the nut off the fitting since those flat plates will hold the fitting on.

For the compressor connection I believe you might need something called a compressor block. This bolts onto the compressor where the fluid lines go in and provides threaded bosses for the hose fittings. You will need to get a block for your particular compressor. I bought my block on ebay through seller airpartsinc.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:39 PM
Staging Lane

I just finished reinstalling the cleaned fuel injectors and still no change. I think I am going to pull all the spark plugs tomorrow and check them, after that I am not sure what to check. It is still not running right.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Did you boil them or have then ultrasonic cleaned? The only down side to the boil trick is that you don't get to see if the pattern is any good, or if the injector is or was good to start with. You can also test the injector plugs with a noid or even a volt meter or test light.

Quick Reply: 70 Chevelle LS1 T56 build