Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

93 Cobra Clone 6.0 408 Stroker, 4l80e, S480R Turbo Build.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 07:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 93hatch
my AJE K doesnt have those little tubes coming out for the rack, but since you had to cut them off did you just enlarge the holes and shove rack bushings inside them with bolt?
Check your thread.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sprayed99
Since you have a clone I thought you might like this. Original Cobra R #66 with 2400 miles. I did a full paint correction and put in on a lift for storage.

Absolutely disgusting. Yeah I am sure it will be worth a lot in 40 years, but omg, never driving a nice car like that just makes me want to someone. Maybe that is why I am not rich. I don't look at everything as an investment, lol.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is for you LS1Punk, so the trans is a built trans, late core, it has vacuum mod, jakes manual box, jakes trans brake. I installed new -6 an fittings on it today. Converter is Circle D multi disk.

Okay so I took pictures of all the spots i had to beat out, the only one i really needed to do was the back rear plug. But i just went ahead and hit any place that was close.

Now to get it in for good hopefully. I use a motorcycle lift with some 2x4s to get it a little higher and a wedge in the rear to raise or lower the rear.

Now put the bellhousing bolts in and here is what you have for clearance.

And the final product...

gotta keep in mind you need the right angle on the trans dont want it down to far. I have mine set around 1.5 degrees down since my rear pinion was set at 1.5.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That will work.

Thank you very much.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:21 PM
TECH Addict

I am not sure about yours, but having the AJE k member up front, what is the natural degree of the trans when bolted to the engine? I was thinking mine was sitting closer to 3 degrees down. Does installing the transmission up further place any stress on the motor mounts with a 1.5 degree angle?
Old 07-07-2013, 07:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sarg
I am not sure about yours, but having the AJE k member up front, what is the natural degree of the trans when bolted to the engine? I was thinking mine was sitting closer to 3 degrees down. Does installing the transmission up further place any stress on the motor mounts with a 1.5 degree angle?
3 is fine, I talked to my dads chassis guy (builds all of Johnny lightnings trucks you may know of him) So after a long discussion with him basically the proper way to set up a car is this.

First the car needs to be sitting at ride height or ride level on jack stands. Then take a measurement of the front center of crank to the ground. So we will say that is 24"inches.

Then take a measurement of the center of the rear with it sitting at ride height, the yoke. and lets say that is 20".

Then you want to find center from crank to rear which i just used the back of the trans since its close enough and easy. So you want to meet the center of those 2 numbers so we had 24 up front and 20 in the rear so you want the center (rear of trans) at 22". You measure from ground to center of output shaft.

So after i got my numbers I took a reading and i was around 1.5 degrees. Then I took a reading on my rear and it was 1.5 but it doesnt matter much what the rear reads since you can adjust it.

And it can go the opposite way as well like he told me with big tire drag cars the engine and trans usually lean forward such as if you have 16" from crank to ground and 20" from yoke to ground well that means you will be pushing the trans up (or center mark) to 18". Hope this helps a bit.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:11 AM
TECH Resident

Looks like someone took out some pent up amger on that transmission tunnel.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:43 AM
TECH Addict

You have to to fit that big **** 4l80e!
Old 07-07-2013, 09:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheLS1Lover
Looks like someone took out some pent up amger on that transmission tunnel.
LOL i used one of those rubber hammers with sand in them, and broke the rubber casing so thats why its so noticeable. But honestly its like 5 mins of hammering.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:46 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the input on the 4l80 I may be replacing the 400 here soon and going with it. When I built my motor mounts I forgot all about the meaasuring you were speaking of but I did use a degree finder which is a great tool to have. With non adjustable rear suspension the rear was at I think +3 if Im not mistaken. I just adjusted the motor up and down until the rear trans yoke was right at 3 or 4. So far no vibrations. That way when the rear end torques it gets close to 0. Great work so far.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just a quick shot of the motor assembled

Old 07-13-2013, 07:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sarg
Absolutely disgusting. Yeah I am sure it will be worth a lot in 40 years, but omg, never driving a nice car like that just makes me want to someone. Maybe that is why I am not rich. I don't look at everything as an investment, lol.
Yeah I agree, My friend that owns it was actually very excited after she was all cleaned up. Kinda had a twinkle in his eye LMAO. Thought for a second we may go for a spin.... didnt happen
Old 07-13-2013, 09:18 PM
Banned

Looks sick craig.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks Fran, money getting a bit tight now so may be a little while before it gets started but you know ill be calling you when i do.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

decided to port my spacer to match my intake

started doing some wiring, drilled my 2" hole through firewall. Did it on drivers side since thats where i had room because im still running factory air box and dont want to remove it. The PSI harness is setup for passenger side but its not bad doing it my way just have a bit of extra wire in the back. Also mounted the catch can where i want it.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well started to do my first turbo pipes. Only had a few small pieces of factory exhaust with 02 bungs that Frans96ss gave me a while back. So I shortened them up and angled them the correct way. Going to order all my hot side pipes and flanges tonight since i got a good idea how i need them.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:34 AM
TECH Addict

Nice lookin car, will look a lot better with that ford boat anchor out of the way and some real power in there...and my buddy's car had that flaming river rack and its a nice unit...
Old 08-17-2013, 01:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A few more hotside pics. Ill finish it tomorrow. Made my merge pipe, what fun that was. I tig welded everything first then decided to go over it again with some big mig weld beads. Got the flex pipes on, and just trying to line everything up.

Old 08-22-2013, 05:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hot side done besides the wrap.
What a pain in the ***.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zapp109
Just a quick shot of the motor assembled

If you don't mind, can you measure how high is the highest point from the top of the valley cover to the top of the TB adapter elbow, and how far from the front of the block face that point is? Do you think you could get a

I've been trying to get the engine in my 1991 to sit low enough to get a Pro Flow XT under the stock hood, but to do it I'd have to drop the engine another 1.5 inches, and frankly, to do so I'd have to cut so much oil pan there would be no oil pan left. The back of the intake fits fine, but the intake height near the front of the heads is too tall for the stock hood. I had planned on making a TB relocation spacer to deal with the TB, but the intake itself is just too tall. I could drop the steering rack and get there but I don't want to mess up bumpsteer.

Edelbrock had the profile of the Pro Flow XT on their website, maybe they have the other intakes as well. I'll take a look there too. I build a wood Pro Flow XT which matches the profile out of 4x4 and 2x4, just for fitment purposes. I would do the same for the single plane intake.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: 93 Cobra Clone 6.0 408 Stroker, 4l80e, S480R Turbo Build.