Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4/T56/HX55 Turbo Into 1986 El Camino.. Running Now

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 08:20 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got tired of waiting for the warm weather to come back to Indiana so I made my own warmth.. 90 dollars and a trip to Menards later I had a propane forced air heater.. Had the garage and its internals up to 50 in no time..

Got the engine all torqued back together in record time.. modified my PS pump for -6 power steering lines on the return and supply.. painted it.. For those that were wondering how I was able to run the 300-201 power steering pulley with the truck accessories here is how I did it..

Spacers between pump and bracket..

And the tail support was modified to allow it to bolt up.. (no pics of it)

Redid my oil cooler lines using the stock steel lines and welding -6 fittings to those as well.. drilled and tapped the oil block for my turbo feed and oil pressure gauge..

Had the engine on the stand and thought it would be kind of nice to see what the pipes and such looked like all bolted up while on the stands so I did just that..

Old 01-08-2014, 10:23 AM
Launching!

You not running intercooler ?
Old 01-08-2014, 11:06 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by lamdenali
You not running intercooler ?
Currently no.. Just wanted it up and running for now.. Plan to run air to air and redo my turbo plumbing out of AL maybe next winter..

Just plan to run about 6lbs till the AtoA is mounted
Old 01-10-2014, 09:15 AM
TECH Resident

Last night thanks to my understanding wife and two of my friends coming out to help with the heavy work we got the engine back in the El Camino.. Trans back in.. Driveshaft back in.. Crossmember back on.. and Exhaust manifolds back on.

Tonight I plan on putting the turbo plumbing, turbo, intake, wiring, fuel lines, and everything else back on .. then I have to pull the grill, and make a new mount for my oil cooler so that I can keep from pinching the lines with my new oil cooler adapter..

Should have it back running Saturday.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have been following your struggle brother. Great build.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:09 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the comments.

New engine is in everything is ready.. Force primed the engine through the oil rifle plug on the outside.. going to put a manual oil pressure gauge there and see what it says versus my dash.

But for now it is 20ish degrees in the garage due to the extreme temps and blowing wind... My propane heater won't keep up.

So I'm staying in where it's warm until the weather clears up a bit and I can get the garage warm.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:40 AM
Launching!

Same here Bud. We have snow here and 3 degree LOL. I come home from work and didnt even want to look at my car in the garage. Hope it let up soon
Old 01-30-2014, 09:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love that you got the low A/C to fit. I think the trick is the truck accessories. I believe they sit about an inch further forward than f-body and 1-3/4" further than corvette.
Can anyone chime in that may know if this is the case?
Old 01-30-2014, 09:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a member on turbobuick forum, who has a build thread going on as well and he also cleared the frame with the truck compressor. He is using the spohn motor mounts. It looks like the key to making this work is the truck compressor and the use of non-plate style motor mounts that clear the compressor.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:25 PM
On The Tree

Here is a good link to see the difference:
http://www.nookandtranny.com/Info_LSx.html#LSXBalancers
Old 01-31-2014, 02:15 PM
TECH Resident

Got it all back running again..

Now I have to save up to get it all dyno tuned and get to work on some clutch pedals.. Seems several people on here are wanting them so I am trying to pick the local wrecking yards clean and make up my reinforced pedal setup..
Old 01-31-2014, 02:26 PM
TECH Resident

Anyone know if the oil level in the block is relative to crank center or varies due to oil pan?

I am using a truck oil pan and an LH8 (hummer) dipstick and it seems to hold about 8 qts..
Old 02-04-2014, 11:31 AM
Launching!

Hey Josh any update ?
Old 04-08-2014, 01:48 PM
TECH Resident

Been a while since I was on here..

I have been working towards trying to get a new job within the same company to try and free myself up a bit more.. The 80hr weeks were starting to get to me..

Car is back up and running.. I have been going through and fine tuning all the small individual problems.. Rear main was leaking (not driven in all the way).. Trans output was leaking which lead me to the discovery that the driveshaft shop cut too much out of my driveshaft.. Power steering system was leaking (weld porosity issue on my -4 AN converion).. Factory gauges weren't working (printed circuit on gauge cluster had issue with ground continuity).. AC selector had a vacuum leak ( hose had tiny slit ).. Issue with tune ended up being the wrong MAP sensor ( after purchasing HPTuners I found that the sensor read fine KOEO, but when engine was running it was all over.. turned out the listing is wrong at parts store and I actually had a BARO sensor, after installing new MAP and loading a tune supplied by a nice guy on HPTuner Forums It runs much better )

Current items I am working on.. Stainless steel upper radiator hose to keep damage from belt/hose contact from sidelining me..

Mocking up AC hoses to allow factory AC system to work with 06 Sierra Compressor..

To those of you who have tried to purchase clutch pedal assemblies from me I will soon be having my afternoons/evenings back and can finish those pedals soon if you are still interested.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:53 PM
TECH Resident

Few finished photos for those that care..

Another View..

Engine Bay..

Interior..

Old 04-08-2014, 04:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very nice. Those wheels look great. This thing is really going to be a beast once you get those charge temps down!
Old 04-09-2014, 11:14 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks, I loved those wheels from the first time I saw them.. If I had my way I would send the fronts back to weldcraft and have them add 2.5 inches and throw a 315 on the rear and those 275s on the front..
Old 08-18-2014, 02:38 PM
TECH Resident

It's been forever since I have been on here.. The second engine that I put in the car failed in the same manner as the first one.. Thrust bearing dead.. Haven't pulled it out.. Took the car to storage at the in-laws in Illinois so I can focus on other projects..

Im thinking there must be some kind of mis-alignment between the engine and T56.. When i pull it apart this time I will be coming up with a way to put them in together as an engine/trans assembly.. As well as be checking to ensure that the trans bellhousing and flywheel share centers..

These T56s not having a hole in them to measure with sucks..

I cannot express how upsetting it was to go to town for fuel and see the oil pressure drop off again..

Anyone seen this.. you all have seen my setup.. What am I missing..

Thanks,
Old 08-18-2014, 02:48 PM
On The Tree

I had the same problem with my T56.
I picked up an adjustable dowel pin kit.
http://www.jegs.com/p/Lakewood/Lakew...61361/10002/-1
The transmission was the magnum T56 from Kielser. They said it was a must to dial in the centers or risk the bearings.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:08 AM
TECH Resident

I was planning to use the front cover of the trans to align the bellhousing using the adjustable dowels.. Was yours out of alignment by much? Do you feel it is a LQ4 specific thing?

Quick Reply: LQ4/T56/HX55 Turbo Into 1986 El Camino.. Running Now