Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mike's 53 Chevy Bel Air build

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 10:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mike's 53 Chevy Bel Air build

I'm in the process of building a 53 Bel Air and decided to go the LS route. Only problem is that I've never messed with LS motors before and so I'm still a newbie when it comes to all this stuff.

I've read a few posts here and gained most of my inspiration from the post Randy Yates did a few years back.

My goals:
To have a dependable drivetrain that has decent MPG and power.
I'm not looking to race or speed down the road. I'm fine with 250-300hp.

I was hoping that I can buy a donor vehicle and source most of the parts (engine, trans, rear end, harness, etc.) and sell off the rest to recoop a decent portion of the investment. Only problem is that I'm not sure which vehicle is best for this. I think Randy was using LM7's out of 99 and up GMC/Chevy Trucks but I'm not too sure. After searching Craigslist for a donor vehicle I've started to realize that it might be cheaper to buy a 99-2002 Camaro then a truck, although I'm not sure if this a better engine platform??

I did some "google'n" and the only other 53 Chevy with an LS1 I found was some dude who posted a youtube video of it and one other guy on this site who stopped posting info on it.

So, I'm hoping ya'll can chime and lend some advice as to what would work best for my 53. I plan on posting all the pics/progress on this so any help/info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 03-08-2013, 12:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bob I'm doing a LS swap in a '54 and my goals are the same, 300RWHP and good fuel mileage. I searched for info and found very little, the swaps are being done; but no one is really documenting them. My swap is slowly getting done due to my job, but I try to do something every night.

I decided on using a LS1 from a low mileage 2001 Trans Am. From what I’ve read I can use the oil pan and the exhaust. I considered the truck engines, but found that I couldn’t use the pan because it was too deep for the car considering it will be lowered and the exhaust may not work. I wanted the LS1 intake so the LS1 made more sense to me.

I wish I could be more help. Good Luck and keep us posted. I have a thread starter here somewhere.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DEEDDUDE
Bob I'm doing a LS swap in a '54 and my goals are the same, 300RWHP and good fuel mileage. I searched for info and found very little, the swaps are being done; but no one is really documenting them. My swap is slowly getting done due to my job, but I try to do something every night.

I decided on using a LS1 from a low mileage 2001 Trans Am. From what I’ve read I can use the oil pan and the exhaust. I considered the truck engines, but found that I couldn’t use the pan because it was too deep for the car considering it will be lowered and the exhaust may not work. I wanted the LS1 intake so the LS1 made more sense to me.

I wish I could be more help. Good Luck and keep us posted. I have a thread starter here somewhere.
Yeah, I think I might try to source an early 2000 Camaro/Firebird for the project. I've seen a lot go for <$3000 and I figure I can resell the body/tires/parts and make most my money back.

What are you doing for the rear-end? Are you using the Trans Am one?
I'm going to be installing a No Limit Engineering MII front end with bags and going with trailing arms in the back. What did you do?

It sure would be nice to share info since it might save us both some money/headaches.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's the link to my build. It explains everything. I'll update with pictures this weekend.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ls1-4l60e.html

Quick Reply: Mike's 53 Chevy Bel Air build