Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This might be a dumb camaro/firebird radiator question

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 10:28 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This might be a dumb camaro/firebird radiator question

Finishing up my LQ4 swap using a 02ish Firebird/Camaro fans & radiator and I can't figure out on the radiator what outlet port does what by the radiator cap.
There are 2 outlets. 1 is below the cap and 1 is above the cap, or above the seal in the cap.

I'm assuming the lower outlet is for the crossover pipe from head to head? the other above the cap is for the recirculating tank?

What do I need for the recirc tank? Can I just buy a Jaz plastic style or is that for a puke tank only? I'm assuming this system will need to recirculate right? not just a puke tank?

Thanks.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ksths2
Finishing up my LQ4 swap using a 02ish Firebird/Camaro fans & radiator and I can't figure out on the radiator what outlet port does what by the radiator cap.
There are 2 outlets. 1 is below the cap and 1 is above the cap, or above the seal in the cap.

I'm assuming the lower outlet is for the crossover pipe from head to head? the other above the cap is for the recirculating tank?

What do I need for the recirc tank? Can I just buy a Jaz plastic style or is that for a puke tank only? I'm assuming this system will need to recirculate right? not just a puke tank?

Thanks.
Nipple A - Right below cap goes to the coolant tank
Nipple B - Below nipple A goes to the vent tube. I just finished my install. This pic doesn't show the actual second nipple. But you can see I had a bung welded in for that vent tube.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Top one just below the cap goes to the Coolant tank. The one below that is for the Steam vent coming from the T/B (and the crossover vents that go the the T/B first).

I just use one of them Aluminum BeCool tanks on my swaps..

BC
Old 03-22-2013, 03:25 PM
TECH Regular

Awesome, thanks for the help guys.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:53 PM
TECH Regular

One last question, what size should I look for? I want as small as possible but I'm assuming they have to be a certain size for the proper amount of expansion?

Would 1 quart be enough?

And should it be a sealed or vented recovery tank? I'm assuming vented sense the radiator has the cap rather than the rec. tank right?
Old 03-25-2013, 03:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am using a smaller Aluminum 1 pt. catch can.. Have had not problems from it being on the smal size. It is a sealed on.. It is a BeCool one.

This really brings up a good question that I really don't have a good answer for. Should you use a Catch/recovery Can vs a Expansion tank. I know it depends on your radiator and cap. What to use on a Close vs open system.

On my Chevelle, I am using an older style aluminun replacement Radiator, and it just required a overflow can. But on my Nova (not running yet), I am using the 4th Gen F-body radiator.. so.. which should I use ? catch/recover or expansion?

BC
Old 03-25-2013, 04:42 PM
TECH Regular

sounds good BC,

This is exactly what I need to know as well, I'm using a 2000ish Fbody radiator & fans with the stock 18lb cap, I assuming i need a recover/expansion tank vs a puke/catch can right?
Old 03-26-2013, 07:36 AM
Teching In

That is correct.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:51 AM
TECH Regular

thanks ccctech,
any ideas on how big this recovery tank needs to be? The stock tanks are huge and I was hoping to get away with running a smaller 1 quart tank.

Quick Reply: This might be a dumb camaro/firebird radiator question