Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dvdswan build

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 12:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by matt99
whats your current front and rear suspension and axle combo, any idea of how much articulation it has? this thing will probably put a lot of rigs to shame the way this is turning out.
I haven't done the RTI but I have 12" coilovers in the front and 14" in the rear, axles are H233B (stock, housing) rear and Dana 44 front, it flexes pretty well but I'm building a play toy for all terrains not just rocks.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:20 PM
On The Tree

I removed the battery tray, I will need to customize the fender well a little with a ball peen so the AC compressor doesn't hit it. other than that the compressor fits nicely, I need to switch the idler and tensioner pulleys which is no biggie. I'm really surprised no one has put a kit together for an LS motor for these trucks, it has been relatively easy on mods to fit it. maybe its because of the SAS IDK, I hope I didn't just jinx myself lol. now I can make the AC high and low pressure lines. I also installed the shifter for the tranny.

Last edited by dvdswan; 06-30-2013 at 09:29 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:11 PM
On The Tree

so yesterday, i was able to get some truck time, cleaned out the pathy fuel tank because of a bunch of varnish and gunk that was in there, then prepped and sealed. now I have to install the fuel pump in it and it can be mounted, then I get to work on the truck tank. also got the pulleys corrected so I have my serp belt mounted, its always nice when a company sends the wrong parts for what you requested. other people's children I guess. trans dipstick tube is a work in progress, the bottom 2/3rds is perfect but I still have to fenagle the top portion and tack on the support that I cut off. mounted the condenser to see how much room I have for the radiator, still the same so now I need to look for a spot for the trans cooler which I already have, just need to get the front back on to be sure its protected for offroad use. I should be finishing the fuel lines this weekend to the manifold that will be nice and then back to the bed so I can get it done. there is a lot that needs to be done there.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:36 PM
On The Tree

so today I finished tacking up the exhaust. all that's left are the hangers. also, finished the truck fuel tank, just need to install that.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:21 PM
Staging Lane

looks good dave, its alomost there
Old 07-09-2013, 08:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Killer cool truck Dave! I'm enjoying watching it all come together. Keep the progress and pictures coming.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

well, I hoped it was my radiator but it turned out it was the trans cooler. 12" x 16" radiator comes Friday.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:59 PM
Staging Lane

nice, what brand is that and do you have a location on where you want to run it?
Old 07-25-2013, 03:11 PM
On The Tree

nice, what brand is that and do you have a location on where you want to run it?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-13900/overview/

still not sure where I'm going to run it. I've thought of building a cover plate for the lower part of the bumper and placing the cooler behind it. if the rad doesn't work with the fans on it then it may go there and the rad in the bed.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:27 PM
On The Tree

so today I installed the front driveline with a new CV joint on it, installed the exhaust (now I just need to put hangers on it), install the front of the engine for fitment of the radiator and its tight. I'm still fighting the bed mount radiator. Also, got the bed set to the proper height and placement for installing the front bed mounts. I will be trimming to move the rad forward about an inch and need to figure out how the hoses are going to work, and I need to find some really thin electric fans now. .

Old 07-27-2013, 10:16 PM
Staging Lane

holy cow thats a tight fit. ive seen a few rigs with the rad. in the bed not sure what the use for hoses but I would assume something like areoquip or russels braided lines.i was gona suggest to move it in the place of the ac condenser but im sure your gona retain AC.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:13 PM
On The Tree

its just sitting in there right now. it will be set about an inch forward when the original radiator tabs are cut off. I'm hoping that I can keep it in the front but more and more its looking not so possible but I'm not giving up yet. If I do put it in the bed I will use 1" ID aluminum tubing.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:35 PM
Staging Lane

What about running a stock fbody radiator being that its thinner than your current one. Although I would hate for you to ditch such a nice unit.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:28 AM
On The Tree

What about running a stock fbody radiator being that its thinner than your current one. Although I would hate for you to ditch such a nice unit.
I just looked at the size for a 2000 f-body, its 29" width, way to wide. thanks for the idea though.

so I think I found some fans. I think I can fit 2-10s in the front lower portion of the condenser, and i'm hoping to fit 2-7s on the upper engine side of the radiator. the 10" is 1250 cfm x2 2500 and the 7 is 1100 cfm x2 2200. is that good? I think is decent after looking at summit and 2-12s is 2600 cfm. also I'm going to try and run them in a X pattern lower left with upper right, 1 set for high temp and 1 set for AC.

10" will pull 4 amps and the 7" will pull 3 amps.

and the best part is they're not $200ea. only $30ea.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:17 AM
Staging Lane

Location: Currently Warrensburg, Mo trying to move to Pottsville, PA

Great looking project! After talking to the exhaust shops I think I might be having to make my own too.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:49 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Johnfire
Great looking project! After talking to the exhaust shops I think I might be having to make my own too.
thanks Johnfire. It certainly was cheaper and now that I know how easy it is, I will try to do the headers next time.

so after some searching I found some other fans that had better performance and little bit more money. but the 10" has 2350 CFMs and the 7" has 2200 CFMs.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:57 PM
Staging Lane

I know you will probably burn this bridge when it comes, but how are you going to run your radiator hoses with out them rubbing or being kinked up?
Old 08-02-2013, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

I know you will probably burn this bridge when it comes, but how are you going to run your radiator hoses with out them rubbing or being kinked up?
I've already started that. I am going to purchase some tight bending 1-1/2" and 1-3/4" aluminum tubing and trim and install them on the existing necks. I need to find (I thought I saw a thread on changing the upper hose connection on the w/p) a pipe with a tight bend to replace the one for the LS2 waterpump. but if I can only get the rad side done I'm sure I can find a hose at the parts store that will have the 90* bend to work.

I received the cooling fans today and I think these will work perfect. but I need to build a enclosure between the radiator and condenser so the fans will blow through the radiator. they will be set up as pusher fans.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:07 PM
On The Tree

did some more fitting today. trimmed a old pathy grille for fittings as well.

the lower hose will fit fine to the waterpump but like the top hose connection I will have to put a 90* connection for them. Called Speedway Motors earlier in the week and they have tight bending aluminum tubing.

did some fitting for the oil pan as well.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:01 PM
Staging Lane

an adjustable water neck and a few 90* should do the trick. Are you going to fab an air diverter to direct air towards the pusher fans? A lot of great fab work in this build

Quick Reply: dvdswan build