Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 "Squirter" Project test Rusted & Filled with Water. w/ Videos

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 10:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Beatdown Z
Are you going to run a compression and/or leakdown test on it?
Hey Beatdown, I ran a compression test the other day before doing this cam swap. Given the engine was cold and not warmed up to operating temp like it should be, I still did it. Compression looked good on all cylinders. about 115psi on first pump all around and 210psi max. I think its too soon to see if the pitted cylinders have damaged the rings yet. We'll see how it goes.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Right now I'm pushing hard to get this in my '92 Camaro and running for LS Fest September 6-8 2013.

Tomorrow (Saturday) I expect to get the engine and trans (T56) into the body.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You went from wanting to trash it, to slapping it in your car. That's what i'm talkin bout!
Old 07-26-2013, 05:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Beatdown Z
You went from wanting to trash it, to slapping it in your car. That's what i'm talkin bout!
hahaha yea. thought that'd make it fun.

It started out that I picked it up for my '87 Chevy Truck and needed it to be a good dependable daily driver. Then turned into a "lets see what'll happen" with it. Dont need it dependable in the Camaro since I have a 6.0 waiting to go into it. Might put the turbo on it later that is intended for the 6.0 thats going into it.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The Squirter is now in my '92 Camaro with a T56. I'm trying to tie it all in and drive it to LS Fest next month September 6-8. It may not be pretty but I hope to make it there.
Adding to the work load though, I'm helping teach a frind to swap a 5.3 into a '93 Roadmaster.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry, I've been slacking on updating this thread. I have a few more update videos for you to enjoy. The Squirter is now running and driving in my '92 Camaro with a T56. We're pushing hard to make LS fest September 6-8. It needs a tune really bad right now with the cam that I put in it. I'm in the process of planning out a paint scheme to bomb this car with this Saturday. Check out these videos:

Update video talking detail about the Squirter in the Camaro and other projects:

The Squirter's first start-up in the 92 Camaro with no exhaust, only manifolds:

Squirter idle / rev in the Camaro after having exhuast welded up:

Squirter Curising in the Camaro, a couple 1-2 shifts. No hard pulls because it needs a tune and dumps too much fuel past 2/3 throttle, so bad that it'll missfire:
Old 09-11-2013, 10:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The Squirter on the Dyno video is up!

I blieve that there's still 20-50hp missing and I'm on the hunt for it. Possibly in the tune since I dont have a wide band yet. Thats next on the list.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Very nice. These engines are tough! I've pulled three out of peoples yards and had good luck with them
Old 09-12-2013, 07:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by superbean
Very nice. These engines are tough! I've pulled three out of peoples yards and had good luck with them
You said it man! These LS motors are cheap, dependable and powerful!
Old 09-23-2013, 02:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Recieved the wide band in the mail. I should have it installed soon. Then we'll be able to take a closer look at the tune. The original tune was doen without a wide band.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Looking forwards to updates. What wideband are you using? LC1, UEGO, PLX?
Old 09-23-2013, 03:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by superbean
Looking forwards to updates. What wideband are you using? LC1, UEGO, PLX?
Wow, thanks! I didnt even realized that there were different kinds. Its the AEM. After you asked this question I searched and found that its a UEGO I believe.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I forgot to share this video I shot with y'all. Probably because its not really of the Squirter, but strapped the camera on the back of the car and drove through LS Fest at peak busy time to give others an idea of what the place looked like. Check it out.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I now realize that I've left y'all out of a lot of the updates. This project took off in a different direction then I expected it to. SO all hat was on this thread was for the build of the engine. Much more is actually on my YouTube channel and Facebook "AGearHead4Life". Here's some more videos.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

and then this weekend I got the Squirter back on the dyno at a local dyno day. was a great day hanging out. The Squirter made the same numbers as it did at LS Fest. Next on the list is to cut up some truck manifolds to fit in the car and see if the flow better releasing some power. These stock 98 f-body manifolds are choking this cam out.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's another video for y'all. This was after we got done on the dyno. A couple of us went out to play. The Squirter wasnt running like it should, but we still had a blast.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default I live my life a quarter mile at a time...

HAHA, I thought I heard it and had to rewind and turn up the volume to confirm.

"I live my life a quarter miel at a time"

Laughed my *** off in the middle of the office! Thats great! Was that you or your buddy in the blazer? You crack me up!

I am totally behind this low budget/high power/tons of fun community that guys like you and and Denmah are working for! I just finished up a card'b 5.3 swap into my Nova and have less then $1000 into the motor! Love it everyday!

Great work having fun, pushing the bounds of low budget LS fun. Keep it up!
Old 10-24-2013, 12:56 PM
10 Second Moderator

Nice job editing the video, I am just learning how to cut out all the crap yet. Neat concept on the 5.3 into 3rd gen Camaro. I am working on putting an LS6 out of a 2005 CTSV into my 68 Chevelle. The motor was about to go to the scrap yard before it was rescued by someone who works at the GM tech center...ZERO miles and a chunk missing out of one piston skirt from a foreign part in the crank case. Not nearly as much rust but some from rain water getting in. Motor is still on the stand, big block 396/4 gear Muncie has vacated my engine bay and Tremac T-56 Magnum sitting on the floor waiting to be bolted behind the LS6.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cruisin'73
HAHA, I thought I heard it and had to rewind and turn up the volume to confirm.

"I live my life a quarter miel at a time"

Laughed my *** off in the middle of the office! Thats great! Was that you or your buddy in the blazer? You crack me up!

I am totally behind this low budget/high power/tons of fun community that guys like you and and Denmah are working for! I just finished up a card'b 5.3 swap into my Nova and have less then $1000 into the motor! Love it everyday!

Great work having fun, pushing the bounds of low budget LS fun. Keep it up!
I LMFAO everytime somebody catch that and makes a comment. Life is short! Enjoy it and have fun.

The guy in the blazer I had just met that day and the "Dyno Day" and went out to play with us. I knew the guy the the C5 a little.

I'm loving the low budget, have fun builds and these LS's are perfect for it. I've got a 5.3 that I just put 4.8 pistons in and reused the rings. I'll have a video of that coming up soon. Thought it was a weird coincidence that denmah had posted a video of swapping piston on connecting rods about the same week that I was testing that method myself. I guess bright minds think alike. lol He's got some great projects going on over there and enjoying watching his craziness. lol he gave me some tips on welding the stock LS manifolds.

I bet you're loving that Nova build! $1k well spent into that engien. What year is the Nova?

Thanks for the Support man!

Keep on Wrench'n!
Old 10-24-2013, 02:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Torkman15
Nice job editing the video, I am just learning how to cut out all the crap yet. Neat concept on the 5.3 into 3rd gen Camaro. I am working on putting an LS6 out of a 2005 CTSV into my 68 Chevelle. The motor was about to go to the scrap yard before it was rescued by someone who works at the GM tech center...ZERO miles and a chunk missing out of one piston skirt from a foreign part in the crank case. Not nearly as much rust but some from rain water getting in. Motor is still on the stand, big block 396/4 gear Muncie has vacated my engine bay and Tremac T-56 Magnum sitting on the floor waiting to be bolted behind the LS6.
Thank you Torkman! Yea, video editing takes time. People think that you just shoot it and post... thats only half of it! lol

Sounds like you've got a nice setup there to practice you video editing skills on! I know you're stoked to get it on the road. I've got parts laying right now waiting for my to get this 5.3 into my C10 and its driving me crazy that I cant drive it yet. lol

Quick Reply: 5.3 "Squirter" Project test Rusted & Filled with Water. w/ Videos