Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1980 Pontiac LeMans Station Wagon

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Aston Tibs
Mike try a 4th gen F-body master. They have the smaller bore and are lightweight. I am using an early 9 in booster and 4th gen master on my 68 Camaro.
That is interesting to know; and the donor car is equipped with this. Did you need to use any bubble to inverted flare adapters at the master? Or did you just modify/make new lines to suit?

Last edited by mOtOrHeAd MiKe; 06-23-2015 at 09:56 PM.
Old 06-23-2015, 03:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I used adapters. Let me know if you have trouble finding them and I will dig up the part numbers.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...

I used adapters. Let me know if you have trouble finding them and I will dig up the part numbers.
If this is them: https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...l#post17849012 I think I am good to go.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 06-25-2015, 03:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, I couldn't remember if I put that in my thread or not.
Old 07-05-2015, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, I couldn't remember if I put that in my thread or not.
Thanks, unfortunately I did it the hard way. LOL... see below.
Old 07-05-2015, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

MCSS master and booster in. Cleaned up brake lines and a new disc brake prop valve. Added a bracket to do a little fuel line and wiring organization. Out back the tank is all plumbed in with -6 AN lines, including the burp line from the Astro hanger. You'll notice I chose to not reuse the old fuel lines from the '91 Z28, it feels better using new parts. The filter/regulator is hung on another quickie bracket, and all the lines are wrapped in hydraulic hose shielding because I have had some bad experiences with braided lines rubbing through.
Attached Thumbnails 1980 Pontiac LeMans Station Wagon-1.jpg   1980 Pontiac LeMans Station Wagon-2.jpg   1980 Pontiac LeMans Station Wagon-3.jpg   1980 Pontiac LeMans Station Wagon-4.jpg   1980 Pontiac LeMans Station Wagon-5.jpg  

Old 07-05-2015, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Few more.
Attached Thumbnails 1980 Pontiac LeMans Station Wagon-6.jpg   1980 Pontiac LeMans Station Wagon-7.jpg   1980 Pontiac LeMans Station Wagon-8.jpg   1980 Pontiac LeMans Station Wagon-9.jpg   1980 Pontiac LeMans Station Wagon-10.jpg  

Old 07-05-2015, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Last of them.
Attached Thumbnails 1980 Pontiac LeMans Station Wagon-11.jpg   1980 Pontiac LeMans Station Wagon-bb5.jpg   1980 Pontiac LeMans Station Wagon-bb6.jpg   1980 Pontiac LeMans Station Wagon-bb7.jpg  
Old 02-13-2016, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

And away we go! I was doing fine until the damn power steering pulley decided to not budge.
Attached Thumbnails 1980 Pontiac LeMans Station Wagon-cam1.jpg   1980 Pontiac LeMans Station Wagon-cam2.jpg   1980 Pontiac LeMans Station Wagon-cam3.jpg   1980 Pontiac LeMans Station Wagon-cam4.jpg  
Old 02-15-2016, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is where we are now with the tear down; engine and trans are sitting on the engine mounts ready to be plucked. The really good news is that the engine is based on an LS6 block (better bank to bank breathing blah blah blah) - which might explain why the Camaro was abnormally quick - but more importantly it means that the LS6 valley cover I bought will fit like a glove.
Attached Thumbnails 1980 Pontiac LeMans Station Wagon-cam5.jpg  
Old 02-20-2016, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

A few process pics. Thank God it was 7*C out today and I didn't freeze my nuts off doing this. Learned that the transmission was rebuilt/replaced in 2005, and that is the original engine to the car.
Attached Thumbnails 1980 Pontiac LeMans Station Wagon-cam6.jpg   1980 Pontiac LeMans Station Wagon-cam7.jpg   1980 Pontiac LeMans Station Wagon-cam8.jpg  
Old 02-23-2016, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ordered this bitch...

We all know that I am pretty anti-billet. But, a plastic power steering pump pulley spinning at a zillion RPM just doesn't work for me. Plus, I butchered the stock one getting it off; and it was ugly before I got to it - it was chipped and old.

Plus, I think I wanted an excuse to buy the pulley.

Just dropped another bucket load at Summit - key purchase: ARP head studs. I got them, with 12pt nuts, for $310 and the Summit sales rep had a ****-fit when I found that price on Amazon from ARP-proper. Felt better doing these than the $100 China studs; and the length of the OEM bolts just scream failure point.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I love wiring. Spent most of the day rechecking my old notes on what circuits are what. The BCM is the worst.
Attached Thumbnails 1980 Pontiac LeMans Station Wagon-cam9.jpg   1980 Pontiac LeMans Station Wagon-cam10.jpg  
Old 03-28-2016, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am done tracing wires... for now. I just have to figure out how to get them into the cabin - as the fuse block is under hood and a bunch of connectors need to pass through the firewall and there isn't a spare 3"x2" pass through. Hmm... might just have to cut and splice. Again.

I am going to have to re-loom it after it is all laid out.

I still have to breakdown and clean up the PCM/engine/trans harness. Yippie.

I am reusing the speedo cable pass through and grommet for wiring on that side; I've already cut the wires that I needed to go through on the driver's side. I might try and source some square Type 2 weather pack connectors. Might.

Then I drilled a 1.5" hole on the passenger floor where the radio antenna would normally pass through and reusing the grommet from a '91 Z28. Which made me wonder how the radio worked if the fender antenna was run. It isn't. Just a snipped wire dangling inside the fender. FML I thought. Then I noticed that it has a windshield antenna - go figure. But, then again I haven't touched this car for months.

Here is where I am at. Ran the harness under the dash, the BCM is in the kick panel and all the spare "future consideration" wires are in the plastic run under the sill plate, the neutral safety switch wires are lined up with the shifter, the ALDL and brake wires are in place. I do need to remove the stock cruise control box as it won't be needed.

I also laid out the fuse blocks and the PCM/ECM wiring; and if you can't tell I need to extend the wires for the cruise control and friends about 30" or so. Then I grabbed the cruise control module and gave it a trial fit. And finally since I was in such a good mood I decided to treat myself to running the throttle cable - I hooked a spring to the engine side and sat in the car making vroom vroom noises and rowing through the notional gears.

And that pile of wires is the aftermath of a month's worth of evenings and weekends.
Attached Thumbnails 1980 Pontiac LeMans Station Wagon-wires.jpg   1980 Pontiac LeMans Station Wagon-wires2.jpg   1980 Pontiac LeMans Station Wagon-wires3.jpg   1980 Pontiac LeMans Station Wagon-wires4.jpg   1980 Pontiac LeMans Station Wagon-wires5.jpg  

1980 Pontiac LeMans Station Wagon-wires6.jpg   1980 Pontiac LeMans Station Wagon-wires7.jpg   1980 Pontiac LeMans Station Wagon-wires8.jpg   1980 Pontiac LeMans Station Wagon-wires9.jpg  
Old 03-29-2016, 09:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Oh... and if you ever wanted to know how wiring in the BCM could be beneficial here is a great little article: http://www.fieros.de/en/articles/BCM.html
Old 04-05-2016, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its alive!

Electronically at least. I got the PCM to talk to me, scanned it and wrote to it. I was making sure that VATS was turned off, had to set it to "P/N" for the neutral safety switch on the shifter, and turned off the "shifter lock" function (just in case).

I also finished extending the wires - so very un-engaging. Now I just have to finish routing the wires, wire in the Boost-A-Pump/hot wire to the fuel pump, terminate the SpeedHutgauge leads, connect the cruise control and AC wires, securely mount the underhood fuse blocks and the PCM, and finish looming it up. Ugh.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I decided to splurge on something for the wagon: Hooker 1-7/8" LS swap headers... in stainless.
Attached Thumbnails 1980 Pontiac LeMans Station Wagon-2333-7hkr.jpg  
Old 04-10-2016, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Been battling a serious cold so progress was slow this weekend. That being said I did manage to connect all of the main circuits to the spare/unused Maxi fuses at the LS1 fuse-blocks - eliminating the need for fusible links; including the BCM. I also wired up the Boost-A-Pump with a dedicated relay and 10ga wires for the power. Because sending 16 volts down a 0.5mm wire just didn't make much sense; I am still undecided if it will be a 10ga or 8ga wire going back to the tank. Either way it sure beats using just a hotwire. The BAP will be triggered by the nitrous kit when activated - I just have to decide if it is going to be on the hit or when the system is armed.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Does anyone know if it is normal to have about 10 volts at the Lt Blue wire (next to Org, and Wht) coming off the brake switch harness with the Key On? My diagrams show that this is for the 3rd/High Level Brake light. I get the full 12 volts across the switch when the pedal is pressed. This 10 volt thing is driving me crazy!

Okay so here is the deal with the Lt Blu wire:

Key Off = 0V
Key Off & Brake pedal depressed = 12V
Key On = 10.5V (settles in at around 9.5V)
Key On & Brake pedal depressed = 12V

The diagram attached (straight out of the 1986 Buick service manual) does not indicate a constant voltage of any kind on that Lt Blu wire. So either I have a short, a crossed circuit getting fed from a Key On source, or maybe a bad or disconnected ground? All wild *** guesses here. The funny thing is that I have no real need for that circuit as the main harness is from my Monte Carlo - as wagons do not require/have provisions for the third brake light (aka High Level Stop Light) normally - and could just clip the wire and call it a day. Because what I do need is to be putting 12V to the piggybacked Lt Blu wire when the brake pedal is depressed for the Camaro's cruise control module.

I've attached photos of the brake switches I am using for reference. The top one is OEM to a '02 Camaro and the bottom one is OEM to an '87 MCSS; the wires in the rear portion of the bottom switch are from the '02 Camaro cruise control.

So if anyone can take a moment and check the following voltages for the Lt Blu wire I would really appreciate it.

Key Off =
Key Off & Brake pedal depressed =
Key On =
Key On & Brake pedal depressed =

Oh and here is how the wiring is laying down from the Camaro fuse blocks back - getting there slowly; cruise control is wired up. Even hooked up the SES light feed from the BCM to the dash too.
Attached Thumbnails 1980 Pontiac LeMans Station Wagon-111.jpg   1980 Pontiac LeMans Station Wagon-112.jpg   1980 Pontiac LeMans Station Wagon-113.jpg   1980 Pontiac LeMans Station Wagon-114.jpg  
Old 04-30-2016, 12:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all of the pictures. Really loving this build. Have an old 78 lemans sitting in the yard, 9 inch and everything. Makes me want to fiddle with it.

Quick Reply: 1980 Pontiac LeMans Station Wagon