Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

s10 money pit

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 11:13 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not much of an update, started building a core support and figuring out what i have to do for a steering shaft lol the engine bay will start closing in fast....
Old 01-07-2014, 07:32 PM
Staging Lane

cut up my oem core support and only used two small chunks lol they were the mounting holes for the headlights and the two rectangles where the sides of the grille mount, i then trimmed the back side of the grille to open up room for the center top exit intercooler, the sheetmetal i did use from the oem core support i bent up some dowel rod and welded it around so it stiffens it alot, next step is get the intercooler in my hands and start bending some more tubing for the complete core support, i opened up alot of room from how the truck origionally was and now i finally feel good about twin turbos and making it looks clean

Old 01-07-2014, 07:35 PM
Staging Lane

the center of the grille is just resting on the bumper untill i get the intercooler set in place to see where i will run my upper tubing and use a dowel rod and dzeus fasteners to mount the center of the grille hidden when the hood is shut
Old 01-07-2014, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

Nice work , definitely looks good . Id like mine to end up similar to that sometime . Not changing plans now though im to far into it lol
Old 01-09-2014, 08:31 AM
Launching!

Hey going back to when you put the Wilwood kit on, how hard was it to modify the spindle to get those to work? Is it just re-tapping the hole or do you need to cut off the existing mounting holes and drill and tap new ones for the kit? Any other pictures of the brake kits without the wheel? Thanks
Old 01-09-2014, 08:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Old 01-09-2014, 08:24 PM
Staging Lane

lol yes my projects seem to get outta hand fast haha oh well, and on the wilwoods, you have to cut off the "ears" that used to hold the old caliper, and unbolt the dust shield, the two bolts that held the caliper side of the dust shield need drilled 1" into the spindle, and tapped, you then bolt on a bracket for the new caliper, i used a cutoff wheel, and a die grinder to do the cutting and shaping, then a 90 deg air polisher to smooth the cuts, and then paint the spindles, easy to do!

today i purchased a few things that seem to add up quite fast! doesnt seem like alot but here is the list....

B&M trans cooler with temp switch and electric fan. black -6an fittings for both cooler and transmission bellhousing, 2 90 deg black -6an fittings, 2 -6an black straight fittings 6 ft of -6an black braided line

2 moroso catch cans w/ -12an fittings and drain, 2 -12an weld in bungs for valve covers, 2 90 deg -12an black fittings, 2 straight -12an black fittings, and 6 ft of -12an black braided line
Old 01-13-2014, 08:36 PM
Staging Lane

well i finally got my intercooler in today lol been waiting over a month for lol its a big one!! cant wait to get the core support fabbed and make it a home!!

Old 01-15-2014, 05:05 PM
Staging Lane

got some more on the truck done and some pics of the crossmembers to show how much room under the truck i now have, made a mounting plate for the holley hp efi pcm, painted and reassembled it, and a pic of the trans cooler

Old 01-15-2014, 11:03 PM
10 Second Club

Nice build!
Old 01-16-2014, 02:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good looking project so far. How's the wife and baby doing, since no one else has asked?

Keep up the progress, even if it is just a part or two a week to keep it alive. Which I figure will come to a screeching halt once that baby arrives..

Congrats DAD, and keep up the good work. On the truck not the baby.. The Baby is all MOMMA now..
Old 01-16-2014, 05:39 AM
Staging Lane

Lol we'll our little miss Olivia entered our lives on nov 20th 2013 and all is great! Had some issues during the pregnancy but everything came out perfect! Only a whopping 5 lbs 8 oz and a little early but she is healthy and beautiful and that's perfect to me! Thank you for asking! It's been a little hectic since it's our first child but we are starting to get the hang of it lol
Old 01-27-2014, 10:13 PM
Launching!

Going wayyyyyy back to the beginning....... which swap mounts did you use, it doesn't look like anything fancy is it just the 2.8L mounts? and my guess is you fabbed and welded up the trans crossmember yourself? And you didn't alter the frame except for where you cut the front rails on and made the tubular core/ radiator support correct? What kind of hood clearance do you have running the high ram style intake with those mounts. I've been thinking about doing a swap myself and I really enjoy the high ram intakes.
And also, better late than never, I hope you and your wife the best of luck with the baby and congratulations!!!
Old 01-28-2014, 01:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Motor mounts are just the typical 2.8 mounts with the S-10 ls conversion plates. I have the exact same plates on my S-10. The swap headers he had pictured in the beginning of the build, I have the same style on my S-10 now. The idiotic flanges that got put on these things are just ridiculous. The moron welding the collector together just HAD to put the O2 bung right in front of one of the bolt holes. To save yourself some headaches, take the bolts for the collectors and weld them to the loose fitting ring on the motor side of the collectors. Don't weld them to the header itself though, just the ring. As for the clearance, I think his cowl hood fixed what the stock hood would not clear. I don't think it will be a lot of clearance though. Guessing half an inch to an inch, which should cover engine flex during hard acceleration.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:51 AM
Staging Lane

yes at first i used the 2.8 style mount, i then switched to current performance's bushing style mount,

and for altering the frame, yes i did all the work myself, i welded in x bracing befor i hacked out the front crossmember, plated both sides then added the tube across it, then cut out my bracing, i then cut off the rails, capped them and added the moly hoop to the front,

i also made a tubular trans crossmember, and cut out all the rear crossmembers and put moly tube in the rear also, and ran some triangulated bars to under the cab to strengthen it, there are no factory crossmembers to be found on it lol

with the bushing style motor mounts, the edelbrock pro flo intake WILL clear a stock hood! yes mine is a cowel hood, but none of the bracing is cut and i still have around 3/4 of a inch before it touches, and with those motor mounts it wont move that far lol

i should be changing hoods in the future so i can switch the intake to the holley high ram intake, i love the look much more! lol but thats going to be after i get it running and driving again
Old 01-28-2014, 01:56 AM
Staging Lane

the only update is, i have mounted the trans cooler to under the bed, installed AN fittings in the trans and ran the cooler lines in -6an and -6an fittings in all black braided hose, i cleaned up my starter and painted it up to look nice again, and ran my positive and negative cables from the batter to where they needed to go, also drilled a hole in my pretty firewall to route the holley efi wiring harness through to under the dash, and ordered much more an fittings and braided line for the fuel system, those an fittings sure do add up fast! but it will look very clean when done, more fittings and line should be here this week and ill post pics then!
Old 01-28-2014, 02:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Do yourself a favor, stay the hell away from -4AN fittings and line.. That **** is a BITCH compared to assembling -6AN.. I got one end on my nitrous feed line, then had to trim the other end 3 times and still no luck, so I took a hose clamp and put it around the end of the line with the end partly screwed in, then tightened it up a little bit, and finished screwing in the end of the AN end. STILL could not get that damn thing to go inside the clamping shell after the one time. I got it partly assembled and the male end pulled the rubber insides up into the threads and it got stuck. I was so pissed by then I was ready to just go spend $40 for the NOS brand 36 inch line, but since I don't have the money available at the moment, I can't!!!
Old 01-28-2014, 12:44 PM
Staging Lane

yeah thats pretty small, lol the smallest line ill have on my build is the transmission lines that were the -6an, the fuel lines are -10an to the back side of the fuel rail where it y's to 2 -8an and a -8an return to tank...

feed for turbos might be -4an but ill prolly buy then premade, we will see what lengths i will need, the turbo returns are -10an and the catch cans are -12an

id keep going on ordering stuff but this week is the first week at daycare and we all know how expensive that gets!!!
Old 01-29-2014, 07:10 PM
Launching!

So you switched to the polyurethane style ones that are just the frame mounts and don't have engine part correct? I would link it but its not working. So with these mounts I can fit a high ram under a stock hood?
Old 01-30-2014, 12:30 AM
Staging Lane

http://currentperformance.com/Swap_Parts/parts.html

scroll down to where you see the conversion mounts, select the option polyurethane for $130 and that's what I have

Quick Reply: s10 money pit