Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck TB, Water pump, car intake relationships

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 10:14 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck TB, Water pump, car intake relationships

I searched and spent alot of time looking for the correct answers but came up with serveral .....

I have a LQ9 Vortec, purchased a KWIK alt/ps bracket, and a LS1 intake (truck is too high for my camaro).....from a 99 firebird.

I have read that the truck Throttle body (drive by wire) will not fit because of interferance with the truck Water Pump. I have read that it will fit with the car water pump, but then the Water pump needs spacers.

I have also read that the truck Throttle body will fit the car intake, and the truck water pump if I grind down the top of the truck water pump.

If I use the car water pump, truck throttle body does it all line with the the KWIK bracket?

Anyone able to clear this up?

Thanks.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

I used an ls1 intake with a truck throttle body. I bent the coolant tubes up a little so it didn't hit the water pump.

Take a large prybar and stick it in the waterpump neck, bend it left and right and the neck will come out. rotate the neck about 45degrees, rtv and stick it back in. Take a large adj wrench and slide it over the neck until it hits the ridges and smack it in with a mallet.

The side of the truck throttle body will need to be ground down a hair where the cruise ball is and where the arm touches the water neck.

If you're using a stock truck alt/ps bracket, the portion where the factory idler is located will need to be cut off. Dirty Dingo makes a triangle shaped idler relocation for 25 bucks so that it will wrap the belt nicely around the crank, ps and alt belt.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

If you need pictures of my setup please let me know
Old 09-16-2013, 12:30 PM
Staging Lane

Bean, thanks for that info....pictures would be great....

Did you rotate the pump up or down 45 degs?
Old 09-16-2013, 01:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

The LQ9 DBW TB will fit the 3 bolt TB. If it's a passenger side DBW TB motor, it wont clear any truck water pump.
Do you have the Kwik AC compressor bracket? If so that complicates things. If not you can use use an f body LS1 water pump with 3/4" spacers, or a 2010 Camaro LS3 pump and tensioner, or you can swap the truck pulley on an LS1 pump (I had to do this with the Kwik AC bracket).
LQ9, DBW, LS1 intake, LS1 pump with truck pulley.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:16 PM
Staging Lane

No A/c at this time...just the KWIK alt/ps bracket.....
So....the passenger side DBW will not fit the truck water pump if I follow your post correctly....

I will have to use a LS1 water pump and spacers in that case correct? If I use the LS1 water pump, are you saying i need to use the truck pulley?
Old 09-16-2013, 01:53 PM
TECH Junkie

98-02 f body LS1 pump and 3/4" ebay spacers will work fine for you. You'll also need the f body tensioner. No need to swap pulleys.
If you add AC use the Holley bracket. Unlike the Kwik bracket, it doesn't tie into the water pump.
Just a clarification, you are using the truck crank pulley and bought the alt PS bracket spaced for truck accessories correct?
Old 09-16-2013, 02:10 PM
Staging Lane

Ok...thanks...got now I think...lol.....I purchase a f body water pump and tensioner, use the DBW truck Throttle body......

When I purchased the KWIK bracket I spoke to wayne and told him it was a truck engine, so I am pretty sure they sent me the correct one.....

One more thing: Does the tensioner mount to the Water Pump? Without A/c I have no bracket on that side....
Old 09-16-2013, 05:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Yes the tensioner mounts to the water pump.

Quick Reply: Truck TB, Water pump, car intake relationships