Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1950 Chevy Short Box w/ 5.3

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 09:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Congrats on the baby and the new truck. Very cool project you've got going. Helluva score on that $45 box of LS2 parts! You'll easily get your money back on that by selling off whatever you don't need.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey guys. Sorry for not posting updates but progress has been slow and all chassis work. I finally started to dive into the engine and realized I have a problem. The "good motor" I bought and have had in my garage for over a year must have been left out side at some point. I pulled the heads and found a ton of rust with standing water in the cylinders. I pulled the rubber plugs over the knock sensors and they were full of water and rust too. Long story short the motor is junk.

I have already gotten my mail order tune from lt1swap.com and the tune was for the motor I had (a 2000 lm7 5.3). I found a good deal on a low miled 99 lm7 5.3. Does any one know if this motor will still work with the 2000 tune? I heard there is a difference between the 99 and 2000 motors but I don't know what they are or if it even matters on a swap. I was planning on just using the long block and then scavenging as much off my old motor as possible.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:57 PM
On The Tree

The last two days have been productive. I got the 5.3 tore down and ready to go to the machine shop. The #2 piston was stuck but I got it out. I will need to have it bored .030 over. There was so much carbon in there that all 16 lifters were stuck. They needed gentile tapping to come out but they were not moving. The cam looked good but I saw a small scratch on one of the rotating surfaces. It was a hairline scratch that I could barely feel with my finger nail. My dad says it will be fine but I am not sure. What do you guys think. Below are some pics of the engine tear down and some of the finished chassis.

I got my suspension all back on the painted frame and my fuel tank mounted. I have the aeromotive phantom fuel system for the fuel pump but I didn't have the 3.25 inch hole saw so it has to wait. I will have to pull the front suspension back off when the truck is done because the springs will need trimmed but that can't happen until the full weight of the truck is there.

You may also notice that I have a donut tire on the front. That's because I had two of my wheels outside and someone stole one. The donut is all I had.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 600 Likes on 476 Posts

Why did around with a used came when the motor is apart? Just setting yourself up for saying " I shoulda.s" The option of reusing the cam shouldn't even be in your head dude !!!
Old 03-01-2015, 09:44 AM
On The Tree

Well I wanted to reuse the cam because I didn't want to go aftermarket. I'm afraid of going into a worm hole that leads to so many other new parts to match the new cam. I just figured leaving the stock cam would be ok since I am not building a performance machine. If I can save that cam then I wouldn't need to spend a few hundred bucks on another stock cam. If there is an aftermarket one that is either close or less cost to a stock one I'd do that as long as I don't have to get into redoing the whole valve train.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:54 PM
On The Tree

I am hoping one of you guys can answer a question for me before I reassemble my engine this weekend. I bought a book with instructions for the build.
How to Rebuild GM LS-Series Engines (S-A Design): Chris Werner: 9781932494600: Amazon.com: Books How to Rebuild GM LS-Series Engines (S-A Design): Chris Werner: 9781932494600: Amazon.com: Books

The book calls for Fastener Assembly Lube for torqueing bolts properly. All I could find was the ARP stuff. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/arp-100-9909

I bought the ARP lube but all they say is for high performance applications and with ARP bolts. Can I use this safely with new stock torque to yield bolts? And do I use this on things like header bolts and accessory drive bolts?
Old 07-06-2015, 07:34 PM
DKO
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just read you whole thread. What's the latest scoop?

Last edited by DKO; 08-09-2015 at 01:05 AM.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DKO
Just read you whole thread. What's the latest scoop?
Thanks! I an glad someone is interested in my thread. Haha!

I dropped the engine off at a machine shop that belongs to a friend of my dad's. He went out of business but said he would do it on the side. So far it was going to be back to me by May, then Memorial weekend, then the 4th of July weekend. Supposedly only the heads are left to be done. Its one of those things where you get tired of waiting but have to be delicate so not to hurt someone else's relationship. I have a stack of parts but am at a stand still.

I do miss actually driving the truck even though it had a top speed of about 50 mph. Its just something about driving a classic that feels right. So I am looking for a driver classic to enjoy while I do this build.

I'll try and get some stuff done soon if I get the motor.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah the machine shop standard answer, it'll be next week, no next week. Actually next week. Hopefully they'll get moving on it. Squeaky wheel gets the grease. That's been my experience with engine machine shops.

What local website did you find the front end accessories? Nice to see another MN build!
Old 07-07-2015, 11:47 AM
On The Tree

I got the box of LS2 parts off of k-bid for pretty cheap. That site has gotten bigger since then. I decided not to use those parts though. I am going to have to go with the corvette spacing for clearance. I need to try selling those on craigslist of something.

Are you working on a swap?
Old 07-07-2015, 02:17 PM
Staging Lane

Just read through your thread. Love the old 50's trucks.

We had a '64 GMC with a straight 6 and 3 on the tree.
My Great Grandfather bought it new off the lot and it passed down through the family. I'm the oldest of my siblings, but I left for the Navy right out of high school, so my little brother got it.
He decided to throw in a BBC and TH350, but could never get it running, then decided to sell it.
Still sad and angry about that.

Anyways, When i finish my corvette project (hopefully within the next 10 years ) I really want to get a classic truck again to do a proper LS driver build like this.

Good work man, I'll be following.
Old 07-07-2015, 03:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Root2812
I got the box of LS2 parts off of k-bid for pretty cheap. That site has gotten bigger since then. I decided not to use those parts though. I am going to have to go with the corvette spacing for clearance. I need to try selling those on craigslist of something.

Are you working on a swap?
Oh dang, you're getting rid of the LS2 parts? I'm swapping an L76 (Pontiac G8) engine into a Jaguar XK8, along with manual transmission swap. The G8 has Corvette spacing accessories, which puts the AC compressor in contact with my engine mount. So I just swapped all my parts out for LS2 pieces. I'll have to watch k-bid more often.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by phalanx_vette
Just read through your thread. Love the old 50's trucks.

We had a '64 GMC with a straight 6 and 3 on the tree.
My Great Grandfather bought it new off the lot and it passed down through the family. I'm the oldest of my siblings, but I left for the Navy right out of high school, so my little brother got it.
He decided to throw in a BBC and TH350, but could never get it running, then decided to sell it.
Still sad and angry about that.

Anyways, When i finish my corvette project (hopefully within the next 10 years ) I really want to get a classic truck again to do a proper LS driver build like this.

Good work man, I'll be following.
That sucks that your brother sold it without checking with you first. My truck was sold a few times but always within the family so when it was my turn to get it I did. Your Corvette build sounds pretty sweet. I really wanted a vette but with the baby there just isn't enough room so I am looking at muscle cars for my driver classic while I do this build.

Originally Posted by brawls43
Oh dang, you're getting rid of the LS2 parts? I'm swapping an L76 (Pontiac G8) engine into a Jaguar XK8, along with manual transmission swap. The G8 has Corvette spacing accessories, which puts the AC compressor in contact with my engine mount. So I just swapped all my parts out for LS2 pieces. I'll have to watch k-bid more often.
Darn... Sounds like our timing was off or we could have swapped. At this point I only need the alternator/PS bracket and the PS pump. I am going without AC. At this point I am deep enough into the engine build I might as well use new parts for the water pump and PS pump. I think I'll just get the Holley bracket. I already got a new crank pulley from GM parts direct.
What year is your Jag? I would love to have an E-type but that's just crazy money to get one of those.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:30 PM
Staging Lane

That sucks that your brother sold it without checking with you first. My truck was sold a few times but always within the family so when it was my turn to get it I did. Your Corvette build sounds pretty sweet. I really wanted a vette but with the baby there just isn't enough room so I am looking at muscle cars for my driver classic while I do this build.
It's all good. The truck is in my home town still and a friend of the family bought it. So I know where it is.

I've had my corvette for about 5 years now, and it was a trade straight across for a pristine 40th C4 that I had. I'm just now getting serious about the rebuild. I say 10 years though because I also have 2 kids. 2 girls, one 5, and the other is 2. My daily is an 05 Cadillac CTS-V with the LS6 and T-56 6spd. Blast to drive and I can comfortably fit my family.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by phalanx_vette
It's all good. The truck is in my home town still and a friend of the family bought it. So I know where it is.

I've had my corvette for about 5 years now, and it was a trade straight across for a pristine 40th C4 that I had. I'm just now getting serious about the rebuild. I say 10 years though because I also have 2 kids. 2 girls, one 5, and the other is 2. My daily is an 05 Cadillac CTS-V with the LS6 and T-56 6spd. Blast to drive and I can comfortably fit my family.
Those CTS-v's are pretty sweet. I checked one out at the auto show a few years back. I only have one kid and she is 11 months. We all fit in the 2014 Silverado Crew but that thing is a pain to try and park. Its my daily driver and I work in downtown Minneapolis. That beast is not meant to drive and park in that.
Old 07-11-2015, 11:31 AM
Staging Lane

Those CTS-v's are pretty sweet. I checked one out at the auto show a few years back. I only have one kid and she is 11 months. We all fit in the 2014 Silverado Crew but that thing is a pain to try and park. Its my daily driver and I work in downtown Minneapolis. That beast is not meant to drive and park in that.
I know that well. I had a F-250 crew as a daily for a few months. Besides it being impossible to park, it was the V-10, so I got all of 9mpg. Hence the reason it was a daily for only a few months.

Can't wait to see some updates on the truck man.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:53 PM
On The Tree

Well the day finally came and the engine was delivered. Unfortunately since they missed the last deadline and summer is crazy busy, I won't be able to get up to my dad's shop to reassemble the motor until August. I'm just happy its done though. My dad hit the parts with WD40 per the machinists direction and put bags on it all so it should be ok waiting for a few weeks to go back together.

Price turned out ok too.
Junk Yard engine with harness and Computer = $300
Heads rebuilt, crank polished, pistons hung on rods, block machined, and all the covers and oil pan sent for washing plus a full rebuild kit = $950
New cam and lifters with trays = about $250 (new stock GM cam and lifters)

I know I couldn't have gotten a new long block for that cheap. I have another $1000 into the computer flash, used exhaust manifolds, new LS6 PCV valley pan, new LS6 steamlines, new knock sensors, used LS6 intake, used fuel rail, used injectors, new corvette crank pulley, and some other stuff. Either way I will have a new turn key engine exactly how I wanted it for about $2500. Way better than a crate motor.... Well if I don't screw up reassembly.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Glad to hear you got it back and its ready when you are to go work on it. Oh and by the way Love your build.
Old 11-21-2015, 04:17 PM
On The Tree

So I finally have an update. The engine was at my father's house 4 hours away so it was hard to get to work on. In September I took 5 days off of work to go up there just to hang out and build my engine. Sadly my grandma died and her funeral ended up being that week and no work was done. In October I took time off again to try. I didn't get far when I realized the machine shop had lost one of my main cap bolts. That week was a waste because the dealer didn't have one. Finally November brought progress!!!

I was pleased to see that my rebuild kit came with new pistons so that was a nice surprise.

New Pistons
Name:  F3DA8FAF-67C6-4C39-8CE2-2BED2A6CF2E6_zpsf9scg3mq.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  383.4 KB

Block
Name:  36932EA8-2181-4E79-8B5A-C4462DAC46FE_zpsujgtxmnr.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  281.2 KB

Coming together
Name:  038FE812-3CCB-4B50-ADB4-6E0282FA12E3_zpsnwd4qt41.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  533.3 KB

Painted!. I still have to clean up that front cover and paint that silver or polish it.
Name:  21A54875-FD52-4B4F-8F79-A55865438621_zpsx3bm78ms.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  234.2 KB

The cab is back on the frame and starting to look like something.
Name:  19318B46-F03F-46C2-B6A0-45D574A13B02_zpsgkygfo7l.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  443.8 KB
Old 11-23-2015, 09:19 AM
Teching In

Cool project! It's got to be exiting getting on the "putting back together" end of things now. It's going to be an awesome truck to cruise when all is said and done and the extra work on the engine will repay itself to you with some years of reliability.

Quick Reply: 1950 Chevy Short Box w/ 5.3