Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1950 Chevy Short Box w/ 5.3

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 10:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 1950 Chevy Short Box w/ 5.3

Hey guy. I frequent a few classic truck forums but I am hoping to get some more LS specific info and advice here as my project progresses. I have a 1950 Chevy 3100 truck and the original 216ci engine isn't doing it for me anymore. The 216 is the old splash oil system and put out 92hp from the factory. When paired up with the original gears I can hit speeds around 50mph with the petal to the floor.

Let me start by saying that I am prepared for the verbal assault that I am going to take for being a poser when I say that " I have always loved the look of an LS1 and that's what I want". LS motors offer a lot of pro's that I want like reliability but I really want that look under the hood. This truck will be a street cruiser and not a dragster.

My truck project is still ugly and moving slowly but so far I have a 3.73 posi rear and a 700R4 tranny (I can run my original speedo). None of this is in the truck yet but it was all free. I'm broke so budget is key. I'll end up asking a ton of questions and searching a lot of threads but I hope you guys will be eager to help me out because I am totally out of my element here (first motor swap).

I picked up a 5.3 out of a 2000 Silverado for $300 with everything attached. To achieve my look I know its preferable to go with the LS6 intake but those cost a fortune. The older LS1 intake is a third of the price. What will stop me from using this intake? I know its 10-15 hp less. I'd like to go returnless with no EGR if I can or at least have a block off plate.

Where should I start to check if this motor is good. I was told that it was but I'd like to know for sure before I dump a bunch of money in it. I was thinking a compression test but I don't know how to do that with it sitting on the floor with no bell housing. I did get a starter with the motor.

Here are a few pictures.

Truck

Motor

Old 09-24-2013, 10:22 PM
9 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow nice truck. That's what I want to build now. A 50 like this one. Get it to look like this. This is my dream truck.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

Thanks. My truck has a long way to go but someday it will get there. I've been collecting parts while I drive it with the original everything so I'm starting to get anxious. I like the pics you posted. I am going toward a slightly more classic look. I have a side mounted spare tire, I just added a visor, I want white walls all around, and I'm going with a 2 tone paint (body crème and fenders either mint green or light blue).
Old 09-24-2013, 10:47 PM
9 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Root2812
Thanks. My truck has a long way to go but someday it will get there. I've been collecting parts while I drive it with the original everything so I'm starting to get anxious. I like the pics you posted. I am going toward a slightly more classic look. I have a side mounted spare tire, I just added a visor, I want white walls all around, and I'm going with a 2 tone paint (body crème and fenders either mint green or light blue).
It's going to look very nice once done the way you want it. Good luck on the build. I'm in the market to get me one of this bad boys
Old 09-25-2013, 01:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Sweeet,I just sold a 50 GMC and know what you mean by the overwhelming power of the 216...I'm already looking for another to put an LS motor into,I would just keep the truck intake and come up with a clever design for a cover instead of going through the hassle of swapping intakes,fuel rails and injector harness-there is already enough work to do.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:23 PM
On The Tree

I thought about keeping the truck intake but I know I will never be happy. If this was a swap just to drive and leave the hood closed then I'd do that but my whole reasoning for going with an LSX block is so I can get that signature look. I'm dumping tons of time and money into paint, interior and accessories so although I want to keep the costs down on the swap I can't sacrifice the look I'm going for.

I will never race it and probably won't hardly speed in it so the torque and hp isn't really a factor. I do want more hp that the 92 the 216 has. I keep hearing that I should keep the truck intake and use a 4l60E but I'm dead set on the car intake for the look and using the 700r4 I already have. I'm just hoping to find tips on how to make this all happen.

I do see that there is the LS1,2,3 &6 intakes. I know 6 is the best but the most spendy. With a 2000 5.3 I am not sure if I can run the 2 or 3. I think I can run an LS1 intake but they seem to have a bad rap. I see a ton of ls3 intakes for sale. Will one of those work or an I right that I can't use it?
Old 09-28-2013, 08:58 PM
On The Tree

Well the trigger has been pulled. I scored a LS6 intake off of a ZO6 Corvette with the fuel rails, injectors, and throttle body for $400 on ebay. Hopefully I can sell my truck intake and recoup a little bit of that money.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:17 PM
On The Tree

Hey guys,

So today I picked up what is supposed to be the exhaust manifolds from a C5 corvette. I was told by forum members on a truck site that the corvette manifolds would clear my frame so when these came up on CL I bought them. By looking can you guys confirm they are the right ones? It looks like the ones I see online.

My next question is what are these two holes on the exhaust? I assume the lower one is the O2 sensor but I am not sure. I looked at my truck manifolds and they didn't have either of these holes. I only gave $75 for the pair so I'm not heavily invested but I hope they are the ones I needs.

Thanks

Old 10-04-2013, 02:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The bottom hole on the manifold is for the 02 sensor and the hole at the top of the manifold is for the AIR. Just fab a little plate to cover the hole and you'll be set! Are you going to use the factory pcm?
Old 10-04-2013, 08:16 AM
On The Tree

Thanks. I kept looking online and I was starting to think that upper hole was for the air pump but either way I'll have to block it off on both manifolds. I kept looking at my truck exhaust manifolds and there were no O2 sensors in them, where they somewhere else down the exhaust? I was hoping to use the O2 sensors I had but it doesn't look like I have any.

I am going to use the factory PCM. I plan to send it away to someone like lt1swap or 150tunes. I just can't decide if I want to take a stab at modifying my own harness. The harness is intimidating.

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome and good luck with your build. I don't think you'll run into anyone around here who's going to bust your ***** over wanting ls power, whatever your motivation is. This site has ls porsches, volvos, hondas, subarus, lexuses, fords, boats, planes, etc. You're truck was made for it!

How's the interior? I love the split front window
Old 10-04-2013, 04:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TORK?
Welcome and good luck with your build. I don't think you'll run into anyone around here who's going to bust your ***** over wanting ls power, whatever your motivation is. This site has ls porsches, volvos, hondas, subarus, lexuses, fords, boats, planes, etc. You're truck was made for it!

How's the interior? I love the split front window
Thanks. The interior isn't that nice. I've mostly been tinkering with the original mechanics to get it drivable so I can enjoy the truck while I build up another chassis. I have restored some dash parts, gauges, and swapped in a modern seat. I didn't have an original seat so this mini van seat works but I covered it with a blanket to make it fit in better.

Old 10-04-2013, 04:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice project!
Old 10-05-2013, 09:33 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Blackpanther99
Nice project!
Thanks
Old 10-21-2013, 08:36 PM
On The Tree

Well my LS6 intake arrived today. Its broken. The box was beat to hell and looks like it got dropped right on the back of the manifold. The part with the MAP sensor and vacuum ports got pushed into the intake and cracked around the circle. I don't know if it can be fixed or not.

I sent pictures to the seller and he is sending me another one so I hope that one arrives in one piece. Either way he doesn't want me to send this one back. Do any of your guys have experience fixing these plastic intakes?
Old 10-21-2013, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're off to a good start! Keeping an eye on this one
Old 10-22-2013, 08:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know how I missed this one. I've always liked the AD trucks. I learned how to drive driving one of these with the little 216. I'm on the look out for one for my next project.

Keep up the hard work, Good Luck with the project.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I think a few guys have repaired crushed intakes,you could list it in the classifieds,I'm sure someone will buy it.The truck O2 sensors are in the pipes just past the manifolds,they will thread into the C5 manifolds,just delete the second set that would be past the cats in your tune.As for the harness you can do it yourself if you have the time,if you are not familiar with wiring,you might want to get someone to build one and move on to other important stuff like the fuel system,have you gave any thought as to what pump/tank combo to use/
Old 10-22-2013, 07:18 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the info. I was wondering where the truck O2 sensors were. I didn't get them if they were in the pipe. That's just another thing to add to the list.

I'm still up in the air about what tank to use. I think I might use the stock in-cab tank since the filler in the cab is kind of cool. The fuel output on the tank is right on the bottom of the tank so it drains with gravity. If I use that I can put an inline pump on the frame close to the cab. I'll use a C5 regulator and just make a return to the tank. Its either that or I hear a lot of guys using 60's mustang tanks because they fit well between the rear frame rails. If I do that I will have to modify that tank to hold an in tank pump.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1950 Chevy Short Box w/ 5.3-image-4291621177.jpg

Here is where I am at on my 1951 chevy truck. Love the build idea and good luck. Keep adding pictures!

Quick Reply: 1950 Chevy Short Box w/ 5.3