Sponsored by:

Advice sought for my "Professionally Built" '66 Nova

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 08:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pics of the black bomber

Originally Posted by 406chvycamaro
Ive been reading your thread and curious to what the car looks like. Possible to see a few pics?
Per your request, here are some pics of my car:

Old 10-15-2013, 08:33 PM
Launching!

Its a good looking car. Hopefully you can get all the bugs worked out. Wish I could help but that stuff is over my head lol
Old 10-15-2013, 09:37 PM
ASSuming On The Tree

Checklist of things I would do:
*Check the filter again, see if it accumulated rust.
*Clean injectors
*Replace all the plugs with factory plugs and gap them properly.
*Check for vacuum leaks
*Check fuel pressure.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Being a Nova nut, this really pisses me off to see this kind of thing happen. Not to worry, we'll get you sorted out.

I saw your car for sale on Steve's and think it's a nice car, do not give up on it. If I had the money right now I would buy it...sooo, having said all that, here's what I will offer if you want.

Send me your computer and we'll flash a "hot rod" tune back into the computer to get the car baselined. You pay the shipping both ways, and the cost of the registration for the tune and I'll do the flash and calibration at no charge......PM for details if you are interested. I'll give you my cell number and we can talk........ Once we get it sorted out, you are going to really dig the LS power.

There are few things we can discuss that you can check on your end.

T,
Old 10-16-2013, 07:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you go through the harness wire by wire to ensure it is wired correctly and all the connections are good and solid? Nothing shorted together or grounding out?

Also no vacuum leaks, egr properly connected (if it exists), are all the cylinders getting hot (i.e. coil packs wired correctly), pcv valve plumbed correctly, brake booster not leaking?

People like going straight to the computer tune for trouble shooting, but don't forget the basics and assume nothing on this build.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:13 PM
Teching In

Default Found A problem....37psi in fuel rail

I just opened the box from Amazon w/ my Fuel Pressure gauge. It's a consistent 37psi. The new Spectra F1G1FA tank w/ fuel pump seems to have taken a dump after ~300 miles. The vette filter has never seen a drop of fuel except from this clean tank. Now I need to call Spectra and test out their warranty. Hope it's quick and it completely resolves my issues.

Question...while Spectra maintains the pump will support 58 psi for an LSx motor, should I add a Walbro 255 before the vette filter?

Thanks,
Bryan
Old 10-16-2013, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

What is your pressure when you shut the car off? There are actually many vette filter/regulator manufacturers and some of them are pure junk. I had to replace my filter/regulator after less then 200 miles on the car.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1964SS
What is your pressure when you shut the car off? There are actually many vette filter/regulator manufacturers and some of them are pure junk. I had to replace my filter/regulator after less then 200 miles on the car.
I didn't pay close attention, but I believe it dropped from 37psi to 20psi when I killed the engine. I installed a Wix 33737 filter, which I heard are good quality filters. Any easy way to verify it's the filter instead of the pump without pulling the filter?

Thanks,
Bryan
Old 10-16-2013, 08:48 PM
ASSuming On The Tree

I highly doubt it is the filter, unless your filter is clogged with dirt.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:58 AM
Launching!

Hi nice looking car, I noticed you have a new GTO interior, the back seats were they just thrown in there, or did they widen the center section to get the rears to be in alignment with the fronts?
Old 10-17-2013, 11:47 AM
11 Second Club

Hello sir first i want to say thanks for your service for all of the rest of us. Now i would like to say that i know this car, the builder and met your dad as i was the person that delivered that car to your dad's in tulsa. I knew when i dropped it off that this story was not done as your dad was not happy with what you got. There is good info in here and it sounds like you may have found your issue with the low fuel pressure. Hopefully you get it figured out and get to enjoy your investment
Old 10-17-2013, 07:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by groundczero
Hi nice looking car, I noticed you have a new GTO interior, the back seats were they just thrown in there, or did they widen the center section to get the rears to be in alignment with the fronts?
I'd have to look at some pictures of what the stock GTO seats look like and compare it to mine. I can't really answer what was done, but it does look like they were shortened.

I love the front seats, they are very comfortable and have power (well after I connected the passenger seat that is).

Thanks,
Bryan
Old 10-17-2013, 07:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by twin74s
Hello sir first i want to say thanks for your service for all of the rest of us. Now i would like to say that i know this car, the builder and met your dad as i was the person that delivered that car to your dad's in tulsa. I knew when i dropped it off that this story was not done as your dad was not happy with what you got. There is good info in here and it sounds like you may have found your issue with the low fuel pressure. Hopefully you get it figured out and get to enjoy your investment
Thanks twin74s. Please do not out the builder.

My Dad was pretty pissed and not seeing the car I told him I had a Rat Rod built and requested a Satin black painjob. Without seeing the car though, I did not know he couldn't even open the friggin doors because the door popper wasn't wired in and he didn't have the key fobs (that took a year of nagging to get them). On top of that: headlights didn't work (I fixed them), no turn signals (he shipped and I installed), rear suspension not done (he drop shipped Caltracs and I installed), missing SS grill badge (he shipped SS emblem only), no rear window trim (NEVER RECEIVED), no seatbelts (had nice racing lap belts, he mailed me some lower quality ones), areas of paint that aren't covered well, weatherstripping improperly installed (nothing glued in, so I did it), missing headliner rear trim (I had to buy), no wiper motor or arms (he mailed me wiper arms), no horn (had Hella horns), no OBDII port wired into harness (I completed last weekend), front clip zerk fittings not greased (I found and greased frontend), LS1 installed instead of LS2 (No resolution), rusted "ceramic" headers (no resolution - he painted them), and none of my old parts returned (he shipped me my new Q-Jet). He did send me most of the parts he owed me (except the rear window trim) and some money, but not enough to make up the parts he kept/threw out, difference in LS2, or the fact I'm still trying to fix the issues after 2 years and it's never run right. After contacting him, he wanted to make things right and we came to an agreement and he met all but 1 of the conditions. He's since stopped responding to my emails, texts, or phone calls and I really don't give a crap anymore. I'm mentally exhausted dealing with him.

Bottom-line: it's not worth a lawsuit or any more of my time dealing with him. My JAG lawyer said even if I won, it'd be extremely difficult to collect. So I'm moving on, thanks to the great help from the experts on LS1tech I may finally get it running right. I'm not "outing" the builder publicly because I don't want any more headaches or trouble from him.

Once it's running right and the last few gremlins fixed, I can sell it with zero issues and have integrity to know it's a solid car that a new owner can have a positive emotional attachment to. I get pissed just seeing it in my driveway.

Thank you all for your help,
Bryan
Old 10-18-2013, 11:32 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by yerny
I'd have to look at some pictures of what the stock GTO seats look like and compare it to mine. I can't really answer what was done, but it does look like they were shortened.

I love the front seats, they are very comfortable and have power (well after I connected the passenger seat that is).

Thanks,
Bryan
If there is gap on each side of the seat, or if you just sit in the back seats and your feat do not lign up with the back of the fronts then the stock rears were just thrown in. since the new GTO's back are skinnier than the old ones. To get it to align correctly the center section between the two back seats needs to be widend.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:03 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Assuming this car has a stock camshaft, and the live data posted in post #16 was at idle with the throttle closed (as it appears to be), an intake manifold vacuum of 29 kPa = 8.5" hg at idle is very low. By convention, intake manifold vacuum should be 17"-21" hg for a healthy NA engine. I'd start by checking for vacuum leaks and then a compression test if no leaks are found.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:47 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you figured out anything on the fuel pressure? Gotta solve that before anything else can be looked at...
Old 10-18-2013, 07:24 PM
Teching In

I'm ordering a Walbro 255 fuel pump and even if I replace the Spectra in-tank pump via warranty, it'll be fine as a booster pump like many of the F150's used. I'm going away this weekend, so it'll probably be mid next week before I get time to install it.

I'm also going to try to track down to see if I can find any vacuum leaks. Are there any good images that show all the ports for an LS1 throttle and manifold? I prefer to not just spray everything I suspect w/ Carb cleaner...unless y'all tell me that's the best method (I don't have a smoke machine).

Thanks,
Bryan
Old 10-18-2013, 07:56 PM
Teching In

I found a good diagram on this post: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...-squeal-2.html.

One question. The two crankcase ventilation ports on the passenger valve cover are just holes (no elbows or hoses connected). Is that a potential problem other than possible oil spitting out?
Old 10-18-2013, 10:36 PM
ASSuming On The Tree

Are you talking about the ones by the throttle body and intake?

This is how it should be connected:
http://www.highperformancepontiac.co.../photo_07.html

Last edited by audacious nick; 10-18-2013 at 10:41 PM.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by audacious nick
Are you talking about the ones by the throttle body and intake?

This is how it should be connected:
http://www.highperformancepontiac.co.../photo_07.html
It's probably very hard to see, but reference the photo of my engine below. If you look at the passenger side valve cover, specifically the oil cap. Just to the right of that on the what I believe to be the crank case ventilation port. From other pictures it looks like there's supposed to be an elbow that connects to something else (PCV, oil catch can...something). All I have there is a hole, no elbow, nothing connected. Same on the back of the passenger valve cover in the opposite spot.

Is that an issue was my question, though poorly described earlier?

Quick Reply: Advice sought for my "Professionally Built" '66 Nova