Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Awww Jeez not another fox body LSx swap.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 07:50 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Factory GT crossmember. Lengthened 3" and installed in the 4 cyl auto location

My super simple alternator mount and belt routing This shows the front portion of my shifter link and adapter arm. The adjustable pivot point shown is what allows me to get the stock shifter detents to align with the th400 ones. The shifter end
Old 11-28-2013, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Some impressive work going on here. I think I will bring my next project to you and let you do all the hard work.. LOL

Do you already have a trans yoke for the turbo 400? I ask because I have a brand new 400 short yoke I bought and wound up going to a long yoke instead of paying $350 to get a driveshaft made. If you want it for super cheap, (READ PAY SHIPPING COST) let me know and I will shoot it you.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BigEd_72455
Some impressive work going on here. I think I will bring my next project to you and let you do all the hard work.. LOL Do you already have a trans yoke for the turbo 400? I ask because I have a brand new 400 short yoke I bought and wound up going to a long yoke instead of paying $350 to get a driveshaft made. If you want it for super cheap, (READ PAY SHIPPING COST) let me know and I will shoot it you.
Check those pm's my friend.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did, its empty, kind of..
Old 11-28-2013, 09:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

im diggin how you got to keep the stock shifter. i have been wondering about doin that but wasnt sure how. did not think of that at all.

is it easy to bump in and out of gear though?
Old 11-28-2013, 09:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Swapper
im diggin how you got to keep the stock shifter. i have been wondering about doin that but wasnt sure how. did not think of that at all. is it easy to bump in and out of gear though?

It seems to work as well as the stock shifter did dry testing it. Bearing in mind that the stock shifter is by no means a performance unit

I'm hesitant to give you the final word on how it works till I have the car running and can feel where the shifts are.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

no prblem. like i said ive been thinking on doing it but didnt know how to go about it.

looking good soo far.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:41 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

interested in the stock shift setup... going to do this myself
Old 11-29-2013, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

you gonna keep the sleeper theme and go single exhaust? 3 inch flows a heck of a lot..
Old 11-29-2013, 11:59 AM
Launching!

you gonna keep the sleeper theme and go single exhaust? 3 inch flows a heck of a lot..
Believe it or not the car came with duals split off right behind the manifold

I am so gonna rock the hubcaps and 14" tires for a while though. I bought those tires and I'm gonna get my use from em one way or another
Old 11-29-2013, 07:59 PM
Launching!

I've spend more time sorting out two mechanical gauges today than just about anything else on this project.

On the oil side I drilled and tapped the little filter bypass housing for an 1/8npt to 3/16 flare fitting

Then I bent up a piece of pre made 3/16" steel brake line so that it ends right at the front of the motor up by the drivers side head. The reason for this is I just have way too much hot stuff going on that side of the motor to come down by the trans with either an oil line or wires for an oil pressure switch.

My solution to the mechanical water temp gauge is much less elegant. Involving a tee and other hardware store bits on the outgoing heater hose. I will probably redo this later to something more stylish.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

all that time and you couldn't take time to put that thing under a wire brush to make it clean and shiny again?
Old 11-29-2013, 08:05 PM
Launching!

all that time and you couldn't take time to put that thing under a wire brush to make it clean and shiny again?
I hit it with a shot of brake parts cleaner to blow most of the metal shavings out. What more do you want ;-)
Old 11-29-2013, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

400 grit on the OUTSIDE or a wire wheel on a bench grinder.. Oh yeah, your yoke left today.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:01 PM
Launching!

Not a lot to report for today's work mostly a bunch if wire chasing. But what I do have is really important if you have a late 4cyl chassis.

If you're doing a carb or non EEC swap you'll want to know where to pick up a switched "ign" signal and the fuel pump wire. These are behind the passanger side kick panel and the green 8 pin connector that stayed with the car when if you're like me you ripped out the EEC harness.

The two tan/green wires are for the signal side of main ign relay. The heavier gauge green with a yellow stripe goes to the fuel pump (after changing colors several times!)

A word of note! No matter what you may have read on google the fuel pump relay IS NOT under the seat on a late 4cyl car. It's part of a multifunction box located on the passangers side shock tower that goes away with the stock fuel injection harness. THERE IS NO dedicated fuel pump relay.

If your car is an automatic like mine you will also loose your neutral start switch with the transmission and as a result won't be able to crank the engine.

This will require you to pull up the carpet on the drivers side floorboard. Fish out the remainder of the cut off trans harness and splice the white/red and red/blue wires together.

This restores the path from your ign switch to the starter solenoid bypassing the neutral safety switch function.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Some good info that I was about to look into since i'm my wiring part at the moment.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by krochus
A word of note! No matter what you may have read on google the fuel pump relay IS NOT under the seat on a late 4cyl car. It's part of a multifunction box located on the passangers side shock tower that goes away with the stock fuel injection harness. THERE IS NO dedicated fuel pump relay.
This is correct, but in my car (1991), and the others I've seen from 1992/1993, the 5.0 fuel pump relay connector is still there under the drivers seat, and you can use it by plugging in a relay from a 5.0 car to provide power to the pump. You do have to run the control line wire to make the relay close, but I'm sure you figured that out already. At least it's there in the manual trans cars, I don't really know about the automatics.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:22 AM
Launching!

There is a two black wire connector under the seat deadheaded off but I could never get continuity from it to the fuel pump connector.

It may be just unplugged elsewhere upstream though.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:32 PM
Teching In

The deadheaded plug under my seat goes to the power seat if you have that option. Otherwise it has a bypass plug. Late 92 and all 93 cars the fuel pump relay is located in the engine bay.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

In the 4cyl T5 cars there should be a relay receptacle which an OEM Ford 5.0 fuel pump relay plugs into under the drivers seat. The relay is a four contactor design which is the functional equivalent of the standard automotive relays, just Ford packages it in a nice green over molded color with a locking tab. Again, I don't know whether or not the 4cyl auto cars have.

It very well may be hidden under the carpet, I'm pretty sure mine was under the carpet in my 4cyl T5 car and I believe I found it circa 2009 when I had to remove the carpet and weld up the floorpan after the driver seat front mounts broke, so I really don't remember if it was under the carpet or not, since it's been so long.

I know it is there because I jumpered the relay housing to provide 12V to the pump in order to pump all the gas out of the fuel tank before I pulled the fuel tank when I began the LS swap this summer. The 5.0 relay receptacle under the seat in my 4cyl T5 chassis physically has all the wires in the relay receptacle, but the control side is not powered at ignition on, it only had 12V on the fuel pump power side of the circuit.

The stand alone fuel pump relay in the engine bay for the 1992/1993 cars (should be near the air filter if I remember correctly) are the 5.0 cars only, not the 4cyl cars. The 4cyl cars have a CCRM on the passenger side strut tower, on the front up near the top by strut mount, which provides power to the fuel pump, as well as things like the EDIS system and DIS coils.

Quick Reply: Awww Jeez not another fox body LSx swap.