Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hacksters 68 F100 LQ4/S475/4l80E

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 09:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jerrad
Glad to hear you're getting it figured out.
Everyday I get on here to check your progress. It's a lot less frustrating when it's someone else doing the work. lol
Oh isnt that the truth...I bet I would be a lot less angry if it was someone else's problem. Thanks for keeping tabs on it just that alone gives me motivation.

Originally Posted by DW SD
Thumbs up! Way to persevere. What happens next?

A new tune?

Doug
Thanks DW, you have been following along for some time now

The next plan is multi pronged.

Ron is going to come over one night this week and we are going to get back on the tune. We actually have the base tune in there and its not that terrible (Ron and AKnovaman get all the credit for the tune so far) We should get it dialed in little by little.

Need to order a new battery disconnect switch...probably doing that in a few minutes.

This winter will be a full bad *** interior, stitched leather buckets, console stereo and the works.

Front suspension will get pulled apart, polished and powdercoated and more than likely some massive front brakes in the works, I am shooting for 15" rotors, mostly just because and I really want to do some driving with this thing.

Sean
Old 09-23-2014, 09:54 PM
Launching!

Switch ordered..

Sean
Old 09-24-2014, 02:17 PM
Teching In

Probably lots of good Big Break options for the Panther front end, right?

Sounds like you've set a good plan in motion.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:45 PM
Launching!

You would think so but not really. Most out there are a 13" kit.

I am looking at a kit from TCE in Arizona that does a 14.1" front system with willwood superlite 6 piston calipers. Thinking about seeing if they can do a 15" two piece rotor though just cause I can fit them behind the Rushforths.

Ron is on his way over to tinker a little bit tonight. Kind of hope the rain holds off for a while so we can do a little driving and tuning.

Sean
Old 09-25-2014, 12:00 PM
Launching!

Spent a few hours in the garage with Ron last night, mostly trying to get the start, idle working well. We are having a tough time in open loop getting it to lean out the AFR far enough.

We know it can get there because in closed loop when the o2 sensors are switching it will get up to the 15.0 range, but in open loop we were only able to get it up to 13.0 so we have that to figure out.

Also with any input on the throttle pedal it goes out of closed loop even though with everything we checked out it should not be.

I am trying to learn as much as I can but man is there a lot to learn with this stuff.

I think we are going to mess with it some more tonight.

Stay Tuned on the tune.

Emailed TCE today about a 15" front brake option for the marauder front kit....hope they come back and say "No Problem" but I doubt it =)

Sean
Old 09-25-2014, 12:06 PM
Launching!

Just because everyone likes photos...here is with the new fuel system, regulator, guage and rails on the motor. Looks pretty damn good.

Sean

Name:  20140922_211435_zpselj8zuhq.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  2.92 MB

Name:  20140921_152545_zpsb6ug0led.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  2.98 MB
Old 09-25-2014, 02:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Love the photos. May I ask where you got the throttle body boot? And what size air inlet tubing you use? Is that 4"? Do you have a MAF between the turbo and throttle body or is that a no - no?

what software are you using to tune? HP Tuners? Can the stock PCM be setup to do Speed Density? Forgive the dumb questions.. if they've already been answered your build.

I've been thinking about buying a tuning package, but a little reluctant and busy with other projects.
Glad you have some headway!

Doug
Old 09-25-2014, 02:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DW SD
Love the photos. May I ask where you got the throttle body boot? And what size air inlet tubing you use? Is that 4"? Do you have a MAF between the turbo and throttle body or is that a no - no?

what software are you using to tune? HP Tuners? Can the stock PCM be setup to do Speed Density? Forgive the dumb questions.. if they've already been answered your build.

I've been thinking about buying a tuning package, but a little reluctant and busy with other projects.
Glad you have some headway!

Doug
Throttle body boot.....I will need to look but I am sure it is from ebay. It goes from the 4.25" factory TB to 3". Running 3" intercooler piping on it, necked down from the 4" outlet on the turbo.

No MAF sensor, I am all setup to run speed density so to answer your question yes, you can run Speed Density on the factory ECU

Original ECU was tuned on EFI Live but has issues. This time around, second ECU and I am using Ron's HP Tuners to make this thing run....well Ron is using HP Tuners to make this thing run, I am mostly just bothering him and asking him stupid questions.

Sean
Old 09-26-2014, 12:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey Sean,
Thanks for the info.
If you don't mind researching the throttle boot, I'd be appreciative. Wanting to build a cold air induction system for mine and finding quality parts from internet searches isn't easy.

I think I'll use a 4" (not turbo'd), but finding the same vendor would be helpful to me.

Perhaps an HP Tuners class is available online? Suspect plenty of info is available if I look.

Doug
Old 09-26-2014, 09:23 AM
Launching!

Here is a link to the 90 degree fitting I bought.....its from Denmah's list.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-to-3-75-90-Degree-Reducer-Silicone-Coupler-Black-RD-/110684375972?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19c54d8ba4&vxp=mtr
Ron and I worked on the truck last night and although we seem to be making a little tiny progress, Ron is getting pretty frustrated with it.

Ron has plans this week and is out traveling all next week so the truck is probably going to mothball status for at least a few weeks.

Thanks again for helping and all of your time Ron, sorry its been such a bitch.

Sean
Old 09-26-2014, 09:43 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hackster
Here is a link to the 90 degree fitting I bought.....its from Denmah's list.

Sorry, that's not working right now

Ron and I worked on the truck last night and although we seem to be making a little tiny progress, Ron is getting pretty frustrated with it.

Ron has plans this week and is out traveling all next week so the truck is probably going to mothball status for at least a few weeks.

Thanks again for helping and all of your time Ron, sorry its been such a bitch.

Sean
The plumbing came out nice! What seems to be the problem?
Old 09-26-2014, 12:23 PM
8 Second Club

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod
The plumbing came out nice! What seems to be the problem?
The truck starts and idles from a cold start just fine. We ran the idle config input the data, and it won't start. It simply doesn't start when warmed up.

The biggest problem I believe is me. This operating system is enough different from the two cars I've tuned it's throwing me for a loop.

I get no responses when I ask questions on the HPT site.

Last edited by RonSSNova; 09-26-2014 at 12:34 PM.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is it a tuning thing or a wiring issue?
Last time my car started to run funny, the tune looked great...turned out to be pinched wire.
Old 09-27-2014, 01:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Chicago TDP
Is it a tuning thing or a wiring issue?
Last time my car started to run funny, the tune looked great...turned out to be pinched wire.
We are 75% sure that it is a tuning issue.

We worked on it yesterday for three or four hours. Still same thing super lean on startup.

No progress to speak of until Ron went home and studied the logs and did a little searching on the internet.

Looks like the OS we are using is slow to recognize that there is no MAF on the truck and it is looking for the MAF and going super lean. After a handful of tries it will get the DTC and fire up and run.

We are going to take another stab at it tomorrow and see what kind of other challenges this thing can throw our way.

The good news is that the fuel system so far has been really solid, no issues for the last few days of running, fuel pressure is solid and the pumps sound pretty good.... still a little air in them but pretty sure that is just from where I have the return going back into the tank.

Flaming River switch showed up a couple days ago, I'll probably get that wired up in the next few days when I have some spare time.

For now I am tinkering with the Volvo it needed a good pre winter scrub down with the clay bar, a fresh coat of wax and some polishing on the ccw's.

Might even drive it if the rain hold out all day.

Sean
Old 09-28-2014, 07:55 PM
8 Second Club

My suspicion about the engine not wanting to fail the maf was correct.
Found some good info on the HPT site.
With that out of the way, I was able to tune part of the no-load VE table. As well as get it to run in closed loop.

I'm out of town for a week and if we get good weather in a week, we can go drive it and work on more of the table.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Another thing to just check is vacuum leaks....I had one that I did not know of until I was under boost and heard a small whistle. Turned out that my throttle body was not sealing 100% because it was a stock body on a Edelbrock intake....just make sure you check all the little things (although I am sure you have been doing that all along!)
Old 10-01-2014, 12:48 PM
8 Second Club

It idles around 45 kpa. Which would seem to be pretty normal for a stock engine.
Sadly, in this PCM with the 2 bar OS, half the resolution of the VE table was sacrificed. NA columns start at 30 and go to 100 in 10kpa increments. So it bounces between the 40 and 50 kpa rows. I sped the idle up to get it more stable.
After we get it happier we can do the spray test for leaks.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

All I can say is 9 out of 10 times that I have had a car run "funny", it turned out to be human error with a fitting, gasket, wire or plug that was off....it is just so hard to trouble shoot when you start from scratch and have no real way of starting other then spark/fuel/compression.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Chicago TDP
All I can say is 9 out of 10 times that I have had a car run "funny", it turned out to be human error with a fitting, gasket, wire or plug that was off....it is just so hard to trouble shoot when you start from scratch and have no real way of starting other then spark/fuel/compression.
I do not believe this to be an issue with the mechanical portions of the truck but feel that any issues I am having are either tune or possible electrical gremlins.

Remember that the truck actually ran fairly well (yes it had issues with dying at random but ran well until it went up to the first tuner. That is when I really started to run into problems. I think we are on a better track now with the new PCM front Anthony but have had a little learning curve with the operating system and HP Tuners. I think we are getting it now though.

Sitting in the airport on my way back from a few days in Vegas for the Wife's Birthday with the temps in the 90's knowing that I am headed back to PDX for months of rain and cold weather is not really motivating =)

Looking forward to getting this thing running descent enough in the next few weeks to tear the interior apart and get started on that and the front brakes.

The plan is to do bucket seats, full console, all in either a tan or a darker brown with a double (I believe it is called a French) Stitch.

So cheers to safe travels home and good tuning fortune for Ron and I in the next few weeks.

Sean
Old 11-06-2014, 11:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Updates on this cool pickup?

Quick Reply: Hacksters 68 F100 LQ4/S475/4l80E